Shoot reports and news 2024

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
74-100 this week, not great but some real tough clays. Lambtons shoot next weekend, fingers crossed for good weather as it’s a full day affair.

Oxfordshire Shooting School on Friday. Too many quartering targets for my taste, but I suppose that's what they have to do at a small ground. I effed it up from the start, dropping 5 on a sim pair of teals, then it was sloppy most of the rest of the way around, dropping odd ones and twos. Finished on 76. M25 was horrendous on the way home. Over two hours to get from J16 to J5, so glad a I changes to an automatic last year, my dodgy left ankle would have be stuffed otherwise.

Churchills yesterday. Started well, straight on the first two stands, dropped two on each of the next two and then straight on the next three. A combination of tougher targets and me getting the yips a bit because I was on for a PB resulted in 10 away over the next three stands. PB blown, all pressure off and I was straight on the last two for an 86.

Toughest targets of the day for me were the pink l/r on stand 8, which I finally found the last one of by taking it later and giving it a lot more lead than I thought it needed. Stand 10 orange target that was described as a teal, but was travelling a long way from l to r. Got a lucky pellet on it on the third pair, but still no idea how to hit it consistently. Stand I was most pleased with straighting was the sim pair at Hanger.

SBL - Please report on the Lambtons shoot - is that the flush day you are attending.
Lambtons flush for me and 3 team mates on Saturday and the weather was beautiful. For those not aware, Lambtons is a country estate and castle in County Durham and it’s a lovely place. Many years ago they used to have a Lion park here where you drove around the estate with the animals roaming. The event is over 3 days and I went on day 3 and with a format of 7 - 80 bird flushes. Day 1 and 2 were 100 bird flushes. You have all the usual suspects rabbits, teal, grouse, high Pheasant, Pigeon etc. Churchills are actually the ones that provide the traps, set up and run it and they use the estate fantastically well. Grouse coming fast and quite high off the hillside, there’s reasonable time to get them as they appear over the trees but take a touch long and they’ve disappeared beyond the trees behind and into the river. High Pheasant my absolute nemesis. You’re standing by the riverside, castle on the hill infront of you but not really viewable for mature trees. The traps are on the battlements of the castle and come extremely high and deceptively fast. I’ll not embarrass myself and my team mates by giving our final score but we were in the top half as we left. Shooting started at 9 and we arrived at 10 so no getting ahead of any queues. We had to wait around 45 minutes at times so snacks and chats.
It’s a great day, great setting and well ran. Probably quite a trek for many of you people but if you ever fancy it I’m sure you’ll not be disappointed

Latest posts

Back