3600 yard shot?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExSCA

ShootClay Admin
Not Clay Shooting - but an interesting few minutes watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z1rktqTvVQ

Don't know but at that distance curvature and rotation of the earth would have to be taken into account ;)

Having now watched it I have to say I am underwhelmed.

Were exactly is the skill involved ?

other than to work out the hold over and windage, stands to reason that once you get close enough to see the impact some were then you can adjust accordingly and you are bound to hit the target after a few goes. Or am I missing something ?

Don't know but at that distance curvature and rotation of the earth would have to be taken into account ;)

Totally comes into it.

On the equator, the earth is spinning at 1040 miles per hour.  Depending on what direction you are shooting in and at what point on the Earth, the POI could change by quite a margin.

If you were shooting North/South on the Equator, then in the 7 seconds it takes the bullet to arrive, the target will have moved 3.25 meters (10.5 feet).

If you were shooting East/West on the Equator, this is less of an issue, but the target could be that distance closer or further away.

I regularly used to shoot out to 1200m (accurately) and less often out to 2000m with a .408 Cheytac (rifle), which comes with it's own ballistic computer, to help you calculate where your target will be, when the bullet arrives!!

So it is more like a 100 yard Looper! :)

The video is impressive, even with the perfect weather conditions...but one wonders how many attempts were made and why he didn't continue to shoot the target, after the first impact :)

To add a little perspective.  A Navy Seal sniper team scored the smallest 3 shot group of 16 inches at 2500m with a .408 Cheytac, this as considered something of a feat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a hole in one at golf to me

More good luck than good management

I will get me coat :)

Not a Rifleman then Ips?

Try to imagine a Trapshooter, but 100 times more anal, then multiply that by 10 and add at least another 1000. That's a Rifleman! :sarcastic:

Edit for spellin' :fie:
Air rifles mate

Done some FT and HFT in me time so I know about setting scopes and trajectory and stuff. Used to have a feild target range in my back feild spent many many hours in there shooting up to 70 yds all good fun and cheap

Still have air arms s400 classic with walnut stock bsa lightning and me old relum

We used to shoot at half that distance (Approx 1 mile) with our stalking rifle calibres. In my case 6.5x55 Ackley Improved. My 'perceived holdover' ( No one holds over at long range, its all dialled into the 'scope) was around 120feet!!

I have no idea what the Cheytac is running at, but with the much heavier bullets I wouldn't be surprised if the holdover at 3600 yards was as much as 400 feet.

Whichever way you look at it, that was an amazing shot!

Skeet UK - give me a rough idea.

At 2000m with the .408 Cheytac, how much over the target would be the point of aim with a zero of say, 200m?

I'm not a rifle shooter, except a few brief dabbles, but only out to 300 yards max, so I really have no idea. Just interested to illustrate the real difficulty in a shot like this.  :biggrin:
Well...firstly, you wouldn't zero a rifle like that at 200m.  I used to scoff at the fools who were shooting their .243's and .308's at 100 or 200 yards :)

Also, you would only aim "over" a target, if you required a very fast shot or, were shooting at a distance that was beyond the "usual" ability of the rifle or optic.  For example; a Sniper rifle, in .308 is designed to have an operational maximum range of around 800 yards.

To illustrate the .408.  With a Zero at 600 yards, and without making any adjustment to the scope, you would need to aim 10 feet above your target at 1000 yards.  At 1500 yards, you would be aiming 41 feet above your target and at 2000 yards, you would be aiming over 100 feet above your target!!

In reality, the Shooter, would have spent a considerable amount of time working out how many "clicks" of elevation they need to add, to an initial Zero in order for POA to match POI.

But there comes a point where there may not be any further elevation in the optic (you don't want to go to the limit on the optic anyway), so then the shooter would visibly be aiming over the target.

Again, in a real world scenario, if a shooter had to quickly engage a target at a much greater distance than the initial Zero, they would dial in the rough elevation, then aim off.

So even if the shooter was able to dial in a rough zero for 1200 yards, he would still have to hold 20 meters above the target, at 2000 yards.

The .408 Cheytac leaves at about 3000 feet per second and delivers over 4000 ft/lbs at 1000 yards!!  Which is 30% MORE than a .500 Smith & Wesson (the most powerful handgun) does at Point Blank.

And when you shoot a "soft" target at that distance, you aren't shooting "at" it, you are lobbing at it.  So rather than the entry point being at the front of the target, it often enters through the top, which has an effect much like lightning hitting a tree...

db79ef12649e7e3f5a3d616fc7f452f0.jpg

Present snipers can consistently score one shot cold barrel kills at 2000yds.  The glass used compensates for holdover.  It's the 21st Century, folks.

Skeet UK - give me a rough idea.

At 2000m with the .408 Cheytac, how much over the target would be the point of aim with a zero of say, 200m?

I'm not a rifle shooter, except a few brief dabbles, but only out to 300 yards max, so I really have no idea. Just interested to illustrate the real difficulty in a shot like this. :biggrin:
The PDA programs used to calculate this also have to vector in some adjustments for the earths rotation at this distance...once you go past 2000m things get silly!!!

It really is a case of dropping the bullet on the target rather than shooting at it.
Definitely. If you get the correct conditions (slightly damp air), even at mid range distances of 500 yards you can see the loop of the bullet dropping into the target (Much like the vapour trail of an airliner).

The real skill though comes in reading the wind. Which in this case of 3600 yards could be moving the bullet an enormous amount.

All very anal and I would imagine very enjoyable. I used to like the technical side and spent hours and hours working out trajectory at various ranges with the air arms. Even adjusting parralax ring on a scope to get it to focus close in. A dodgy job but doable if careful. I was always amazed at the hold over req at sub twenty yds before trajectory peaked.

Latest posts

Back