Barrel length

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveRC

[SIZE=medium]Hi,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I am looking into getting my first shotgun, I will be shooting clays (sporting) and looking for a 12g OU. I was lucky enough to try a Beretta silver Pigeon last weekend and liked it, liked it a lot. Now obviously at this point in time this is at the top of the list and I noticed these tend to come in 28 or 30 inch. I plan to go to the shooting show in Feb and hopefully take a look as many as I can to find the right fit, so my choice may change.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Assuming I find a gun, that fits, whatever the gun is, what difference does barrel length make, is there any technical reasons to choose one over the other? If there is no technical reason, what reason to pick one over the other? I am a rifle shooter and always favoured the shorter “carbine” rifles, so would have always picked the shorter option, I am guessing this is wrong so I am open to persuasion.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Dave[/SIZE]

Ballistically, nothing in it. It's is all about 'pointability'. A shorter gun is possibly better on very close targets and is inherently lighter. Beginners like the feel of them, but don't get trapped. 30" or 32" for clays. For longer targets you really benefit from more weight (for stability) and more length (to exaggerate the image of where you are pointing).

A background in rifle shooting is a handicap in this sport. Forget everything you know. Tennis is a better training sport for shotguns.

Barrel length is a personal thing. I can miss with any length barrel you like!!!! I have known people who shoot 28's well, some shoot 30's well, some 32's and even some on 34's. It's whatever you are comfortable with and what works for you!!!

Barrel length is a personal thing. I can miss with any length barrel you like!!!! I have known people who shoot 28's well, some shoot 30's well, some 32's and even some on 34's. It's whatever you are comfortable with and what works for you!!!
Beware trap advice for sporting. And vice versa..
Everybody knows some old farmer who shoots a 24" .410 brilliantly. But only because he grew up with it. It's not the right answer for a newbie..

Last edited by a moderator:
You can get 32" Silver Pigeon as my daughter has one.  Mine is a 28" but I am only 5ft tall and I feel comfortable with that length of barrel.  

You can get 32" Silver Pigeon as my daughter has one.  Mine is a 28" but I am only 5ft tall and I feel comfortable with that length of barrel.
Kinda my point Sian. If you shoot it, you will get comfortable with it. But is it the best solution?

I believe for me yes.  I find bigger guns awkward and heavy.  When I pick up Amber's (SP Beretta) or Tony's (Kemen KM4) they are practically the same height as me and are far too heavy for me to be using over the course of a 100 bird shoot.    I tire very easily with them.  I am happy with my choice, others will make their own.

A background in rifle shooting is a handicap in this sport. Forget everything you know. Tennis is a better training sport for shotguns.
Thanks for the very quick replies and does answer my question very well and is just as I thought.

I know my rifle shooting is going to be a handicap, I did get to shoot a few clays at the weekend, first time I have picked up a shotgun in 20 years, I did manage to hit most of them, but I was very aware that despite all I had been reading, I was aiming and not pointing. I plan to get some lessons booked as soon as I can so I don’t get into bad habits before I start.

The other thing I found, which is quite a bit more than I expected, its so dam addictive…. I am totally hooked, by by bank balance…

Thanks for the very quick replies and does answer my question very well and is just as I thought.

I know my rifle shooting is going to be a handicap, I did get to shoot a few clays at the weekend, first time I have picked up a shotgun in 20 years, I did manage to hit most of them, but I was very aware that despite all I had been reading, I was aiming and not pointing. I plan to get some lessons booked as soon as I can so I don’t get into bad habits before I start.

The other thing I found, which is quite a bit more than I expected, its so dam addictive…. I am totally hooked, by by bank balance…
Yes, a good idea to get some lessons.Your instructor will be able to advise on a suitable gun.

To be fair, few shooters stick with one gun for ever. You'll do well with a Beretta SP and they always sell well. So don't worry too much with your first gun. Just get out and enjoy it. 

I wish I had some proper lessons at the start.... Probably wasted the best part of 1000-1300 shells shooting without really knowing the basics.

I bought a 32" barrel as a newbie and find it ok.

Enjoy

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely!!

And be very aware that fads abound and the prophets will seek you out relentlessly.  You might be prepared to make your quest for the right gun involve more than one gun, cuz it likely will.

besta luck with all the folks that will gather to "help" you.   :preved:   

I wish I had some proper lessons at the start.... Probably wasted the best part of 1000-1300 shells shooting without really knowing the basics. I bought a 32" barrel as a newbie and find it ok. Enjoy
in my day coaches only really existed for rich and or olympic shooters, the rest of us had to muddle through the best we could, I wonder if that is why there are so many non text book styles to be seen from old school shooters. ?

Its weird Ian I have never heard the word coach mentioned down here! I think everybody is expected to learn by themselves and the tips they get from other shooters. I have seen sme really good shooting on the stands down here but they were obviously not coached for stance or gun hold positions. Some of the stances I have seen are simply ridiculous but the results most often defy this anomaly. There is a shooter who visits or club from time to time has a stance as though he is about to start a foot race sprint.. but he regularly hits 23 and 24. Another guy leans to his left at about twenty degrees off the upright but splatters them , its funny but I try to get a good steady stance and am hitting 19 - 23 these guys look like they have some sort of bodily disfigurement and score consistently better!

A few people advising 30" or 32" as a first gun. I'd like to know why ?

Latest posts

Back