Been shooting seated for 28 years

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

handisportgold

LAZY AREN'T I? OAP shooter just getting back into some comps. Still useless from the knee down and the neck up but have won Gold and Silver Handisport FITASC for "GREAT BRITAIN". Not much hope now so will leave it to the new guys in the Disabled shooters group. Best of luck with OLYMPICS , we pioneers couldn't manage it 20 years ago but hey! things have changed??????????

Welcome to the forum.

Yes things have changed,im only a newcomer myself ,my first world fitasc from a whealchair was 1998 but in the time since we now have disabled classes at all cpsa major comps and the italians have built up a real momentun with the powers that be concerning the devalopment of para clay shooting,so things are and have changed.   

Welcome to the forum, there are some very nice people on here. Hope you like it.  :thumbsup:

Paul, Its great that those with a handicap are classified as such in our national and some international disciplines, WISH I were still young enough to keep up the pace to travel to such events. The atmosphere was always GREAT and in my days of winning all the shooters were very helpful. Won some great shoots against the able bodied also, so a handicap need not restrict the shooter as its been proven. Still yet to find a coach who SITS TO COACH. Roger Silcox was one and it changed his attitude to instructing the wheelchair shot.

Lets hope GB sport keeps pace with the likes of Italy, Cyprus had a good crowd in the early 90's , I lost to a Spaniard in 1993 maybe not a bad thing as Spain were hosting the euro FITASC that year.

May cross paths on DSG shoot sometime

The spanish have started up a group of shooters since fitav started to get things going on the ot front but unfortunately we lost fitasc sporting which would in all honestly never of amounted to a big disabled presence because of the terain,but im glad i got to do it winning plenty of medals and getting a GB badge,and the whole atmosphere was great.Hopefully we can get a handisport class in the compak again because that is easy to get around at and is a good compromise between proper sporting and a accessible comp.Was pina the spanish shooter who you lost to?he was a hell of a good shot and was charly (stillionas charilmbos)shooting in your day because he was getting on when i shot against him.I have done ok against some top able bodied shots myself but they are doing a lot of comps and for most of us disabled shooters,we arnt fit enough or wealthy enough to do the circuit like they do.I dont think anyone in a chair should coach a novice,its not safe but i help out people who are struggling with something quite often although im no coach.I know people in chairs who have had coaching off some of our top coaches and they have had no complaints about there lessons,when i got ed s to help me out with a problem he was on his knees behind me looking over my shoulder and down the barrell.The big problem with us(GB) keeping up with the italians is funding,we dont even have any coaching help from the GB coaching team unlike the italians that get all the help they need.   

Paul - I sit on the FITASC GB Sporting and COMPAK sub committee - we help arrange the COMPAK selection shoots, we should discuss a handisport class... I am not very knowledgeable on requirements for less-able shooters.

Email me on my email address below if you want to discuss. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes Paul , stillionas charilmbos was one of the first with andreas antinou who shot with one arm as did my mate don craig . stillionas charilmbos must be in his 80's or older now, great bloke exchanged xmas cards until a few years ago. Back to coaching- it is quite different sitting to shoot as we know, maybe CPSA coaching courses should include the coaches being in wheelchairs cos foot position flies out the window! Quite agree about the less able being the poor relations, had a good spell during the late 80's early 90's but as an old mate once said about his contracting the italian disease "defundsalo!" it don't help personally. When I started ammo was £65 per 1k, look at it now! Got a bit of sponsorship in my hayday but nothing like the able bodied topshots. Lets hope we have a STAR in the wings to go on sports personality EH! Not before time methinks

Paul, Looked up my old address book, Jose Pina, Escatron ,Zaragoza ,Espana. He was good, what beat me more so than his good shooting was my gun. I lost targets due to a broken firing pin. In all fairness to Browning they repaired it overnight for free but I could not make up the lost targets in time, hence Silver. Andreas was from Limasol.

Found the score sheet for Zaragoza see if you remember the 8 finalists Alain Lefranc, Andreas Antoniou, Jose Pina, Peter Richford, Myself -Malcolm Clarke, Andrew Hudson, Robert Doggart, Styliano Charalambos. Have shot with Andy "spud" Hudson,Margaret Jackson, Peter Richford, Tony "hoppy" Thompson, Brian Wilky but haven't seen or heard for years if they are still shooting?

Great post nicola i doubt that many people will now how hard it was for you and phill rowley to get us badged and get things going,but those of us that do know realy appreciate what you did.What realy annoys me is that sport england/british shooting pay coaches to coach the GB team but wont give our ot shooters any coaching to help devalop the very good talent we already have,and if or when we get to the para olympics we will be way behind the likes of italy who have as good or bettter program of traing than our able bodied team.

Well Nicola and Paul glad to see my posts have brought the lack of support for the DISABLED SHOOTER to this forum and beyond I hope. We need people like yourselves to fight our corner. Banging our heads against a brick wall in the late 80's early 90's. Kate Panayi was our torch bearer back then, got us our first crack at international albeit FITASC euros. I did get help to go to OKEMO Worlds in 92 as the picky shows, but no disabled class there.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK  A_N_D PLEASE SPONSORS HELP US TOO!

Brian wilky passed away a few years ago but he did start the disabled shooters group and was very keen on keeping it going and did a lot for it.Your post has stirred some great memories and may get a few talking about these things so thanks for that.

Latest posts

Back