Calling Norfolkians and essex peoples

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuzrat

Me and Mrs Fuz are looking to get away just before the Worlds at the beginning of august (worked for the E/O :D )

I have a mate that owns a pub up around Lowestoft that I havent seen for years and wanted to suprise her.

Question is what are the roads like to get there from Oxfordshire? bingle maps (there are other map services on the interweb :.: just for Microsoft Matt) says either M25 then up the A12 through Essex or Milton Keynes, Bedford, St Neots, Cambridge, Newmarket, Bury, Diss. Are there actually any dual carriageways around there? seems to be a distinct lack of motorways! Really dont want to be stuck behind rural all the way :(

I used to cover that area as part of my job (about 15 years ago!!!) but as far as I remember the A12 and A14 are fairly decent roads and mostly dual carriageway - but don't come hunting me down if you get stuck behind a tractor on a single carriageway as it was a bloody long time ago!!!!

Me and Mrs Fuz are looking to get away just before the Worlds at the beginning of august (worked for the E/O :D )

I have a mate that owns a pub up around Lowestoft that I havent seen for years and wanted to suprise her.

Question is what are the roads like to get there from Oxfordshire? bingle maps (there are other map services on the interweb :.: just for Microsoft Matt) says either M25 then up the A12 through Essex or Milton Keynes, Bedford, St Neots, Cambridge, Newmarket, Bury, Diss. Are there actually any dual carriageways around there? seems to be a distinct lack of motorways! Really dont want to be stuck behind rural all the way :(
No we dont have any motorways or dual carriageways(whatever they are) we all drive tractors.so if you are still coming be prepared to be held up.and dont forget your passport!

chippy

There is a new dual carriageway south of Milton Keynes which bypasses Bedford and links straight up with the A1 just south of St Neots.

So from here Fuz i would go Bicester,Buckingham,Bletchley-Milton Keynes and pick up the new bypass,A1 up one junction,A14 to Newmarket,then take your pick,

I used to use this route to get to the top end of Norfolk via the A14, A10 to Kings Lynn.

The roads are not that bad i used to cover the whole of East Anglia years ago in my HGV days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers guys (and Jules) :) Still a bit of a toss up, not sure if we are dropping the dogs at Mothers Kennels in High Wycombe on the way (M25 it is then) or ditching them the evening before (Bicester, Bedford) Quite fancy having a little look at the auld enemy (Cambridge) on the way :)

nice part of the world … cambridge town centre isn't as nice as u'd expect … dam students ruined it :.: :.: but the surrounding areas are great and u get some good ales over there .. good shooting area as well :wink:

Latest posts

Back