Car business insurance

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

altnipper

I'm starting a business and using my normal car for it during the day. I won't use it much prob 1000-2000 miles a year if that, the rest of the time it'll be used as a family car.

I looked on go compare and you can only get seperate business and non business insurance.

Is this correct do you have 2 policies if you use the same vehicle for both? Or do come companies have 1 policy that covers for both?

I'm sure someone will know!

Thanks

Hi altnipper

I have business cover on my one car thats used for both work and own use its with LV the cover is for social,domestic,pleasure and business use(this includes travelling to and from various places of work) which my employer an FE college insist I have when working for them.

hope this is of help have a look on their web site or give them a ring they were very helpful when i set up my policy. :)

I get car allowance for my job...... So i have to provide my own car and insure it, My insurance covers domestic and business it just costs a little extra. Well worth it !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I would do it all personally, but claim all motoring costs for business miles to your business. Tax efficiency..

The best and HMRC approved method is to keep a mileage log to distinguish between business and private journeys.  They can and sometimes ask to see this.  The percentage of business use can then be used at the end of the year to decide how much of all your fuel, repairs, tyres, insurance, RFT etc are private and how much are business and therefore tax deductible.  The percentage will also be used to determine the allowable proportion of Capital Allowances which is HMRC speak for tax deductible depreciation.  You can also pay a flat rate sum of VAT relating to private use of fuel and reclaim all your VAT on fuel.  Also once VAT registered claim back all the VAT on servicing, repairs and tyres on the vehicle used for business.

The best and HMRC approved method is to keep a mileage log to distinguish between business and private journeys.  They can and sometimes ask to see this.  The percentage of business use can then be used at the end of the year to decide how much of all your fuel, repairs, tyres, insurance, RFT etc are private and how much are business and therefore tax deductible.  The percentage will also be used to determine the allowable proportion of Capital Allowances which is HMRC speak for tax deductible depreciation.  You can also pay a flat rate sum of VAT relating to private use of fuel and reclaim all your VAT on fuel.  Also once VAT registered claim back all the VAT on servicing, repairs and tyres on the vehicle used for business.
Yes, that. :)

I should have also said that there are 2 types of business car insurance.  One adds just commuting to work to your normal social, domestic & pleasure and the other adds on real business use as well.  Real business use is going to see suppliers, going to see customers, going to course, conferences etc all on business and taking employees, suppliers or customers in your car as passengers.  You need the full business use not just commuting if you are running your own business.  You do not need 2 policies.  Some of the basic insurance compnaies may not do business insurance including social domestic and pleasure but all the main companies like Aviva do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've just recently bought my own car again (gone away from company L200) I went through our company broker and got insurance from Aviva for business use and SDP etc

Robert is right.....but you do not have to have extra policy for using your car as part of your work, delivery etc....under normal uses...

What the catch is......is if your are a sales man for instance...then you cannot use social, domestic, pleasure, business.

Or if you are a taxi or hire car etc etc.

Yep as said you want / need "social domestic and pleasure incl bussiness use" compare or money supermarket required for competitive quote. Not sure what you refer to regarding go compareI listing not having the above it did the other day when I did mine ?? 

Latest posts

Back