Centrefire help...

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisPackham

I am awaiting the grant of a .243 ft which I have good reason (fox, with a view to conditioning for deer in time of which Muntjac and Roe abound) this will be my first CF, however I have now realised that the bigger deer species are available to me not too far away as is land with boar that need controlling for which 243 is too weedy...

i really don't want more than one CF rifle to cope with all eventualities, suggestions for a flat shooting rifle with readily available ammunition appreciated...

270 is a bit kicky but a moderator smooths it out quite a bit.

I think you will struggle to get a 270 for fox.  Unless you have a very understanding FEO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate .270's , kicky, barrel burning and waste too much powder...but they do fit your criteria. Most gun shops stock .270 bullets, shoots flat and hits hard.

if you are prepared to hand load, .260 is the best all round caliber of them all. 

.308 is not the flattest, hits hard and ammo available everywhere 

I think you will struggle to get a 270 for fox.  Unless you have a very understanding FEO.
I take your point, I'm hoping that they understand my approach of only having one CF rifle, some FAO view less rifles as better...

Last edited by a moderator:
When I first got my DSC and got into stalking I had a Ruger .243 with a T8 mod and a bushnell elite scope. It was alright, but I had to track a few deer. They were nice clean shots for heart and lungs.

i decided to go for .308 and have never looked back. I have what I consider a pretty nice set up and can't see myself changing anytime. Browning X bolt with the stainless fluted barrel and composite stock, jet z mod, and Schmidt and Bender 3-12x50 scope.  I've never tracked a deer since. My ground is teeming with fallow but I've also been on the Reds. 

The .308 has been a real confidence booster. Knowing that every thing I have shot has dropped on the spot. 

Like Darkside says, apparently not the flattest of rounds but zeroed 1" high at 100 mine has been on the money for everything out to 250 yds, and agreed again, you can pick up the ammo anywhere. 

Latest posts

Back