Extended chokes

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveRC

[SIZE=medium]Hi All,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]As a follow on to the thread I started on barrel length, which indecently did answer my question and gave valuable information for me to help me decide.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Now on to, Extended Chokes, what do they give, what is the advantage of these. A friend of mine is insisting I should get extended chokes, so what is the advantage of these?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Thanks[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Dave[/SIZE]

IMO very little other then being able to unscrew without a key however its mostly down to personal preference you would almost certainly notice no difference in your scores with extending chokes then flush fitting :prankster:

I have both flush and extended, in terms of scores I cannot tell the difference. I bought the flush 2nd hand off a mate as I just seem to buy random shooting crap on a whim, I put them in and been shooting with them for a while no issues.

But in answer to your question.

Original multi chokes were very short, and if the length was limited to the end of the barrel there was not much you could do to improve them. So the theory was lengthen the original design to give a more gradual taper and/or longer parallel section to benefit patterns compared to the standard shorter flush chokes of the time.

The more cynical amongst us might say the marketing department of an aftermarket choke company came up with them as they were easily seen by other shooters, they needed a reason to justify they were superior  and then become the next must have item and used the above theory to justify them being superior.

I have shot with flush, extended, ported, ceramic and god knows what, from countless different companies and come to the conclusion I seem to like the standard chokes that come with the gun or can tell no discernible difference between them like for like.

But I am easily lead, like shiny things and love buying new stuff & really should not be left unattended at a computer.

So the sensible answer is it made no difference to my scores one bit, but my brain says but they looked cool, shiny and I want them.

The last bit is a better reason than believing the advertising hype for them.

So if you want them for looks, to protect the end of you barrel, easy to remove, it's what the cool kids do etc. then go for it, if it's just to improve your scores then don't bother.

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=medium]Hi All,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]As a follow on to the thread I started on barrel length, which indecently did answer my question and gave valuable information for me to help me decide.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Now on to, Extended Chokes, what do they give, what is the advantage of these. A friend of mine is insisting I should get extended chokes, so what is the advantage of these?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Thanks[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Dave[/SIZE]
Hi Dave,

For a new shooter, you are unlikely to be missing targets due to the chokes you are using, so I wouldn't worry too much about it just yet.

The journey with multi-choke guns, normally goes from "wide open" (Skeet or Cylinder) when you are a beginner, to "tighter" Half choke or "really quite tight" 3/4 or Full, when you are more experienced.  Most of the top shots, use tight chokes much of the time and the likes of Olympian, Richard Faulds and mutli-multi-time World Champion, George Digweed; both use Full chokes and both (I believe) have fixed choke guns.

The main thing to remember about chokes, is not to get too fussy about them, changing every stand...certainly not until you know why you are changing them.

Standard advice is to put in 1/4 and 1/2 (tighter 1/2 in the top barrel).

Better advice is to put in two chokes the same and forget about them.  Either a pair of 1/4's or a pair of 1/2's.

As to your question.  Flush chokes constrict the shot charge down from Cylinder (the full width of the bore) to whatever the exit diameter of the choke is, (half, full etc) ...in a very short distance, perhaps an inch or so.  

The thinking behind extended chokes, apart from easy changeability, is that the longer tapered section of extended chokes, makes this transition "easier" on the shot charge, damaging the pellets much less and so producing a more even pattern/shot cloud.

There are many companies making extended chokes and the users of a particular choke brand are usually quite adamant that they are "the best", so I will not go into the various brands, of which I have tried several and to be fair, been happy enough with them.

However, none have ever been "different" in any great way, they are all much the same, apart from Muller chokes, which is what I now use...as do many other people, including people who "matter" (ie, not me!).

I actually wrote a review of them for this site and you can see it by clicking on the blue link in my signature below.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have both and see no difference in scores however the extended do save the bluing being worn off from keep putting the gun in a slip.

...The length of a flush fitting choke i would have thought depends on what gun you are shooting and what choking system it has...Just saying.

...The length of a flush fitting choke i would have thought depends on what gun you are shooting and what choking system it has...Just saying.
Yes, you can have a flush fitting choke that is longer than an extended one, my old Laurona as an example had stubby chokes with a knurled end bit which were shorter than most modern flush types. 

It's worth remembering that decades ago gunmakers found that the effects of choke were imparted on the last inch or two so it's really no surprise to find nobody is able to tell the difference between short or long chokes. 

But you NEED long chokes. That way you have bought more of a thing. And it was buying the thing that made you happy.

So Some people prefer them others hate them... nothing new in that!! I think that they are sometimes an adornment and can save the end of the barrels but I have seen so really cheesy stainless ported ones that look they have been borrowed from a Rambo set.. no need! I have Muller's they are alright in my opinion better than standard fit . meh who knows but they do stay tight.

Mullers are great if your paranoid about chokes shooting loose because they dont, and great if your lazy as they are easy to clean. Do i need them, do they perform better than the factory fitted chokes?????

i just like them because they look good ( the precious the precious ). :frantics:

[SIZE=medium]Thanks you for all the replies, very good interesting information and again my question is answered :biggrin:  [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]ATB[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Dave[/SIZE]

I have both Ext & Flush anf cannot tell a difference.

extended just stop you taking the blueing off the end of the barrels whilst resting on your boots ....

i know people who swear by Mullers...

I have been shooting about 18 months and makes no diffefence what chokes i use i can still miss..

I would say the best thing I did as a beginner was go to a pattern plate.

This showed me that at 1/4 and 1/2 in my Browning (Ultra XTR), there were quite big holes in the pattern at 25m - despite this not being the case.

So I switched to 1/2 and 3/4 - patterns are much better.

What this did for me as a beginner was actually understand where the shot was going, where by aiming at the middle I was covering and I found my scores improved no end.

As for the OP, I prefer external - to my wife's internal, because I can easily check they're tight - and it gives me something to pretend to check when I miss!

Pete

As for the OP, I prefer external - to my wife's internal, because I can easily check they're tight - and it gives me something to pretend to check when I miss!

Surely I'm not the only one to find this a little funny......... :) :) :) :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"and that's just the way it is"

Charlie,

I see you shop at Midway USA ?

Latest posts

Back