getting into back of vehicle

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ips

My cocker sometimes jumps straight into her cage in back of my car, (which is more like a van very low loading height and huge tailgate) but more often than not lies down and refuses so I do one of two things if in a hurry pick her up put her in, or stand there holding the lead ignoring her until she gives in and jumps in but this can take ten minutes. Have tried treats and ball to entice her but no effect. She is absolutely fine once in and travels well, nothing bad has ever happened during or after a journey so no association with anything negative. Funny thing is when we get home she jumps straight out then jumps back in again. I cant work it out.
Anyone got any tips or general observations

My dog does exactly the same. He has grown out of it a bit. Keep chucking her in and ignore the refusal. Only thing I can think of is to put the cage/box in the house and feed her in there. Hope you get there with it. Frustrating.

thanks for reply good to know some other pooch is the same.

she has a cage in front room, one in our bedroom (yes I know but it works for us) and a run / kennel in back garden. No issues with going in any of those its just the car . As you say frustrating

Last edited by a moderator:
She probably just simply wants to stay out where you are.

Have had the same with mine when he knows he's going somewhere he is in like a shot..not always the same on the return.

Just an intelligent dog using the only way she knows how to tell you she would rather stay ;)

When i walk mine to the park he pulls all the way on the way back sometimes i think i should have called him Woodbine!

what I don't get is when I let her out she jumps back in, strange creature. ?

Have you previously given her treats on the back of the car?

I just pick any reluctant dog by the scruff and put them in. I don't speak or make a fuss just up and in.

what I don't get is when I let her out she jumps back in, strange creature. ?
At home? Maybe she is trying to tell you she wants to go back out?

Otherwise there must be an opening for Doggy psychiatrists....gotta be business opportunity there ;)

There can be quite a few reasons dogs don't like getting in cars,  including travel sickness, poor driving (too fast round corners, hard on the brakes) ,  heat,  previously bad experience (going to the vets)  etc... 

The trick is to remove every possible reason that the dog might not want to get in.  Start on a cool day at feeding time and open the cage, put the food in and lift the dog into the cage. Don't close the door or the boot. Whilst she is eating give her heaps of praise.  Once finished get her out and put her back in the house. 

Repeat the process every meal time for a few days.  Then instead of lifting her in give her the command to get in.  If she refuses take the food out and walk away.  Try again at the next meal time. 

Once she is happy getting in for her food you can start closing the cage door, then the boot. Then start the engine but don't drive anywhere.  Then you can start short journeys round the block. 

I know it sounds a lot of work but I have had dogs from quivering wrecks that wet themselves rather than get in, to happily jumping in every time within a week.  

thanks nicko, does sound hard work but isn't everything dog training related. ?

what's your story my friend, you sound very knowledgeable on gundog matters. ??

thanks nicko, does sound hard work but isn't everything dog training related. ?

what's your story my friend, you sound very knowledgeable on gundog matters. ??
Its what I do buddy.  I mainly train working dogs but I help with all manner of behavior problems.  

Its what I do buddy.  I mainly train working dogs but I help with all manner of behavior problems.  
I use the same methods on the Grandkids,   works a treat !     :angel:

thanks for reply good to know some other pooch is the same.

she has a cage in front room, one in our bedroom (yes I know but it works for us) and a run / kennel in back garden. No issues with going in any of those its just the car . As you say frustrating
I had a similar problem but I solved it by getting my Wife out of the cage first, the dog just jumped straight in then !

I use the same methods on the Grandkids,   works a treat !     :angel:

I had a similar problem but I solved it by getting my Wife out of the cage first, the dog just jumped straight in then !

Maybe if IPS got out the car and walked away the dog might get in and shut the door itself :angel: just thinking !

well you may be able to help me with another thing. See my dogging in thread. She is steady to dummies and to flush in woods but I am trying to steady her to flush in open land as at present she sometimes chases. If you have tips please post reply on dogging thread.

cheers, I am open to any suggestions

pm me if you prefer ?

this is now much better. Since driving three minutes to the estate I am currently dogging in she must have started to associate getting in the car as a good thing, jumps straight in now, well 90% of the time anyway.

Back