Guns chokes and steel shot

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevenm3.2

Been shooting a while now but only ever used lead shot. Can you guys advise me if my guns are steel shot proofed and what chokes should be used. I have a beretta 682 gold and a beretta A400 semi auto both are multi chokes. Any advise would be greatly appreciated thanks.

With standard steel loads and high performance steel there are differences the " fleur de lis " stamped on the barrel is the proof mark for steel, however I'm no expert so I would put that question to GMK and get the facts.

Normal advice is to use a maximum constriction of half choke  and standard proof loads.

I have to say that I hate steel loads and they in my opinion should not be used.

But that is my opinion.

For the people who love Steel I will leave you with this thought.

Would you run your car's engine with no oil in it?

Steel on Steel ! Does that really make sense?

Watch out that you don't fall in that giant Jurassic rut that some of the forum dinosaurs are stuck in! If I was so 'tunnel visioned" I would have been unable to shoot at my favourite club for the last 14 years as it is steel only!

Just off to pick up my next thousand steelies :) £145 per thousand and lots more little balls of clay smoking goodness even in 24 gram :D I think steel has its place (for me, on the skeet range) but I wouldn't want to use it for anything else, and god forbid on live stuff. However I do know a couple of pigeon shooters who have to use steel as they sell to hawkers and the lead would poison them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't use steel.....it will end our sport......in the long run.......just saying ......!

.......or you will end up just shooting skeeeeeet.......with all the young things like Kent and Fuz :laugh:

Whoop whoop..!

hawkers ?

Like del and Rodney trotter ?

Don't use steel.....it will end our sport......in the long run.......just saying ......!

.......or you will end up just shooting skeeeeeet.......with all the young things like Kent and Fuz :laugh:

Whoop whoop..!
Nic you can bring that old fragile muzzle loading Perazzi musket with its dodgy trigger down for a round of skeet and we'll give you some little steel balls to ram down the barrel... It'll be fine..!!

Nic you can bring that old fragile muzzle loading Perazzi musket with its dodgy trigger down for a round of skeet and we'll give you some little steel balls to ram down the barrel... It'll be fine..!!
Thank you for the humour .....I know that I am an old bird..... but you do not need to try to convince me that steel is ok in any of my guns sweetie ....because it is not ...just saying :wink: .

All my guns are either full and 3/4 .......or full and full.........Steel is 'not' good for their health.....true story.

Even if I had a suitable close range potato gun.......I would not use it on principle........preferring to boil my head in hot oil first.....

Hope that make it clear what I think of steel :smile:

Watch out that you don't fall in that giant Jurassic rut that some of the forum dinosaurs are stuck in! If I was so 'tunnel visioned" I would have been unable to shoot at my favourite club for the last 14 years as it is steel only!
Agreed.

"Steel", is not stainless steel bearings...it is soft iron.  Your Beretta barrels are very likely chrome lined (as are mine) and are MUCH harder than the steel shot.

Steel was introduced as a cheap alternative to Bizmuth, when lead was banned for Wildfowling.  

Times and Technology have moved on a bit!

Also, older types of steel cartridge did not have a full shot cup.  So combine this with harder steel and softer barrels, some may have suffered some scoring.

Modern steel, is as I said, much softer than chrome lined barrels and plastic wads fully enclose the shot.  If your gun has the "Fleur De Lis" proof mark you are certainly good to go with clay loads.

6.jpg

I only use steel for skeet and much prefer lead for sporting stuff...but I would never concern myself with damage to my gun by using steel, because I have used plenty with no ill effect and like Kentskeet I know people who put LOTS of rounds through their gun, all steel...no problems.

Other would agree that steel 9's, 24 or 28g; are the perfect shell for skeet, due to the increased pellet yield.

At the end of the day, you cannot help those people who are too ignorant or too stupid, to READ the instructions.  You do not want to put HUGE steel shot down non-steel proofed barrels with tight chokes.

Just as the same as you don't want to put your man parts in the vacuum cleaner when it is switched on...but people do, that is why they have had to tell you NOT TO, in the manual. 

Out of these ' many' that you know.......how many use 3/4 full all the time......just curious :wink:

Thank you for your polite comment. I remain unconvinced that steel is suitable for my purposes.....and therefore do not quite understand why any of us are called prehistoric monsters.....because ....'we have read the instructions'....and know that it is not suitable.....just saying :laugh:

Last edited:
Thank you for your polite comment. I remain unconvinced that steel is suitable for my purposes.
You are very welcome.  If I were shooting the disciplines that you shoot, I would use lead too...just as I do for everything other than Skeet.

Just trying to let the guy know the facts and allow him to decide for himself.

Exactly........me too.......I would hate a newbie to experience a barrel bulge or worse.

The only difference with me .....is that I would not use it at all......but that is free will and free speech for you......

When steel first became compulsory at the ground that Kent skeet is referring to I remember going in to Greenfields and being shown an absolutely immaculate Beretta 687 by Sam McVitie. Very nice says I. Have a look up the barrels says Sam. The owner had shot skeet with it using standard steel loads and they had absolutely ripped the forcing cones to bits, to say that I've seen fewer ruts on a ploughed field would be an understatement.

This is the only example of this that I've ever seen.

The whole issue of steel can be a bit scary though, I remember standing behind a customer in a gun shop who had just bought some steel wildfowling loads and when he asked about suitable chokes was told it was perfectly safe as long as he didn't use less than 1/2 choke. :spiteful: :spiteful:

Roger there are lots of similar stories......however it is up to each individual person make their own mind up. It is their gun, they can do whatever they want, and take whatever consequences.

It matters not a jot to me....I have made my mind up.....but if steel is mentioned on threads.....I will join the conversations with my opinion....whether it is liked by skeet shooters or not because there is a much bigger shooting world out there....and lots of people have been told the wrong thing, like in your gun shop example.

Exactly........me too.......I would hate a newbie to experience a barrel bulge or worse.

The only difference with me .....is that I would not use it at all......but that is free will and free speech for you......
That's right...I mean apart from your general opinion of steel, it is totally unsuitable for your disciplines.

Here is a neat little article, (recent too) that may help the OP.  It shows the good and VERY BAD points of steel shot and how it is used.

http://www.sportinggun.co.uk/features/536427/Gunsmiths_report_increase_in_shotguns_ruined_by_steel_shot.html

Ouch!

4.jpg

Latest posts

Back