Hello From Leeds

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john1234

Hello All

I am John from Leeds, I have been wanting to have a go at clay shooting for quite a while but have kept putting myself off as I seem to be "gun shy" or more specifically noise shy. I had difficulties with loud noises when growing up and still seem to be a bit over sensitive to loud bangs. This is part of the reason for wanting to shoot - i want to overcome these problems, but also I think it would be a very enjoyable hobby.

So if anyone else has had a similar experience it would be good to hear. Also, can you recommend the best hearing protection? and how effective is the hearing protection - what kind of noise level will i be exposed to while wearing protection?

Cheers

John

Hi John, welcome to the forum! :)

I guess your best bet would be to find a club/shooting ground near you and go along for a look-see and have a go. They will all welcome you with open arms, and if you tell them about the noise issue, they'll help. There are lots of different ear defenders, so you just need to find the ones that are right for you. You'll likely get many suggestions from the gang on here as to what their own preferences are, so try them, they will all work.

WARNING - this is a hugely addictive sport! You are likely to fall in love and become obsessive! :.: :.: ;)

And there are various types of hearing protection, electronic ones that reduce the noise from the bang of the guns but can still let you hear people talking and stuff.

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks for your messages - when wearing hearing protection how much "bang" do you actually hear? Is it still very loud?

Cheers Tom, Sorry I sound stupid here but I have had tremendous problems over the years with this and I just want to allay my concerns before i get out there so i don't end up looking a fool on the first lesson!

No worries John, you will probably find at most grounds that as you get closer to the shooting ground you will be able to hear the shots and then as you get in to the car park, so you could even sit in the car for a little while to get used to it, even if you do that a couple of times and don't actually get out of the car then you can progress to getting out of the car with ear defenders on or put you car window down a touch.

The 2 grounds I go to are allerton Bywater and greystone wood (in askwith near Otley).

Cheers,

Tom

I doubt it, those 2 that I go to the owners can't even see the car park because one is behind a banking and they both have huts they sit in, plus if anyone did ask just explain, on the whole shooters are a friendly bunch and will understand.

Cheers,

Tom

Welcome to the forum, I think you'll find a solution to suit - one idea could be to wear two pairs of hearing protection - an earplug - cheap foams ones will do, AND an overear set of protectors...

In my experience, ear protection can reduce the sound to a dull pop - but if you are worried, you can double up.

Thanks for the advice. What i am struggling to grasp scientifically with the ear protection job is the fact that when i am cutting logs with my chainsaw and using the ear muffs which are attached to my chainsaw helmet i still seem to get an awful lot of noise. Do ear muffs work better with louder noises? Or are my muffs just not good enough?

And if you can cope with using a chainsaw then I think you will be able to cope with shotguns, the noise is a lot less frequent and it a nicer pitch than chainsaws.

Cheers,

Tom

Latest posts

Back