Hi from Oxfordshire!

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamako

Hi, i'm excited about getting in to clay shooting (i'm at the very start at the minute!). Shot some clays on friends' farms (not 42,000 yet!!) but looking forward to having some formal instruction at a shooting school soon to point me in the right direction.

I hope to be able to get some advice from you guys too over time and eventually hopefully be able to give something back.

Cheers. :D

Welcome to the Forum and Sport! Its great fun if not a bit frustrating at times. Oxfordshire! Great location as we have loads of grounds within easy reach and plenty of friendly, and in time when your ready, practice and registered shoots.

David :D

Thanks for the welcomes. Any advice on how to convince the other half that this isn't just another silly, expensive hobby?! She always asks why I can't have a cheap hobby like jogging!! :eek:

Nothing that has ever worked on my side!

As for the jogging - tell her about Jim Fixx - he's the guy that made jogging popular in the 1970's - he died, joggin

Thanks for the welcomes. Any advice on how to convince the other half that this isn't just another silly, expensive hobby?! She always asks why I can't have a cheap hobby like jogging!! :eek:
Get her to have a go. My wife was most suspicious about it, but enjoys it. More importantly appreciates that I do.. Ideally make her first go somewhere palatable; not just some unpleasant shots in a field with an ill fitting gun and no advice about holding it..

Good advice, I am trying to get her to come along to a "have a go day" at the Oxford Gun Company! I will also be doing a day course there sometime hopefully.

One thing i'm a little confused about when getting in to clay shooting is; once you have had a taster and know you like it, is the only way forward to have lessons until you know you want to do it a lot and therefore buy a gun etc and away you go? It sounds rather an expensive way of doing it. Is it possible to have some lessons and then go to a ground with a friend (who has a gun license) and use their gun for some practice? Sorry if thats a stupid question. I just don't want to spend lots on a gun before i'm sure I want to have shooting as a long term hobby and I imagine that whilst lessons are a good idea, it would also be useful to practice what you learn outside of lessons.

Cheers.

Good advice, I am trying to get her to come along to a "have a go day" at the Oxford Gun Company! I will also be doing a day course there sometime hopefully.

One thing i'm a little confused about when getting in to clay shooting is; once you have had a taster and know you like it, is the only way forward to have lessons until you know you want to do it a lot and therefore buy a gun etc and away you go? It sounds rather an expensive way of doing it. Is it possible to have some lessons and then go to a ground with a friend (who has a gun license) and use their gun for some practice? Sorry if thats a stupid question. I just don't want to spend lots on a gun before i'm sure I want to have shooting as a long term hobby and I imagine that whilst lessons are a good idea, it would also be useful to practice what you learn outside of lessons.

Cheers.
Many places will loan or cheaply hire you a gun each time you go. EJ Churchill certainly do, although its pricey to practice. (Decent deals on membership with some free lessons i think..) There comes a time when you need to get your own as using a different one each time can make it hard to progress. If you buy a good used gun of a top brand, like Beretta, you will not lose much at all in the event of resale..

Last edited by a moderator:
take her along, she will either get bored and not want to tag along - or better still get interested and want to join in, welcome to the forums, Growl.

Many places will loan or cheaply hire you a gun each time you go. EJ Churchill certainly do, although its pricey to practice. (Decent deals on membership with some free lessons i think..) There comes a time when you need to get your own as using a different one each time can make it hard to progress. If you buy a good used gun of a top brand, like Beretta, you will not lose much at all in the event of resale..
many places are covered to let shooter use the gun of the friend they are going with, best bet is to go with youre friend and use their gun till you want to take the plunge, then as Clever says buy your own and if it all goes "Pete Tong" you can resell.

Welcome aboard, have fun!

Oh, and once you do it a couple of times, you'll be hooked! Good luck with the missus! ;)

Can't agree more, I started shooting and took the risk of introducing my wife at that stage. She loves it and is probably going to be better than I am. Key is that it is no longer a silly expensive hobby as she spends as much as I do now.

The Day at Oxford Gun Company is a pretty good place to start with basic good targets and steady instruction. It also handles different levels of skills pretty well on the day. They may also be able to help with a school gun going forward. I would suggest if you are getting hooked that you get your SGCs applied for. then you will be ready when you can't stop yourself making that next step!!

Latest posts

Back