How much land...

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExSCA

ShootClay Admin
I was just idly flicking through a copy of Country Life, looking at houses that I could only afford if I won the lottery...places with 40 acres and swimming pools etc - all lovely places, but made me wonder.

How much land would you need at home if you wanted to shoot with no risk of complaints from neighbours? I'm guessing there must be at least a 1km exclusion zone or something - but would be interested to work out just how big an estate one would need to set up a decent pratice set up at home?

I bought an extra lucky dip for tonight - if I win, and I get a good answer here - you'll all be invited shooting on my new estate. :D

I was just idly flicking through a copy of Country Life, looking at houses that I could only afford if I won the lottery...places with 40 acres and swimming pools etc - all lovely places, but made me wonder.

How much land would you need at home if you wanted to shoot with no risk of complaints from neighbours? I'm guessing there must be at least a 1km exclusion zone or something - but would be interested to work out just how big an estate one would need to set up a decent pratice set up at home?

I bought an extra lucky dip for tonight - if I win, and I get a good answer here - you'll all be invited shooting on my new estate. :D
I dream about that all the time ., Im guessing you wouldn't need 40 acres, they can build a nice trap set up with buffer walls so the sound dosen't travel to far

If you have the money they can build it

You don't actually need a huge amount to be honest for shot fallout 300YDS from the firing point across the arc of swing. Noise would obviously be the bigger issue.

If it's of interest I'll bring my Safety Officers manual tomorrow which covers planning a shoot; fallout zones; planning etc. There is also a guide to planning a small shoot on the CPSA website somewhere in the depths ;)

Jon.

It is just interest at the moment - my current garden barely has space for a fully assembled deck chair - it is just idle curiosity. I'm not sure I even know how big an acre is in real terms...

300yds shot fall out area from point X in all directions would give you a 600yds x 600yds square which would be 73.5 acres. For noise, it would depend on the terrain, a clear valley would funnel noise but a flat open space would help disperse the sound.

70yds x70yds square or 4900 sq yds = 1 acre

Last edited by a moderator:
Matt,

Think big, buy Wales or Shropshire and I will load for you.

I don't worry about size, if I won the EU lottery at £100 millionish, I'm sure a nice piece of land could be purchased for a clay/FB rifle shoot.

£10 mill up Jockland would get you the required plot of land, thousands of acres I would imagine.

Angelfire.

Unfortunately this is sold but I'm sure it would have fit the bill :.: http://search.struttandparker.com/rural/glenlethnot-edzell-brechin-dd9/6824

50 yds from any foot path is a problem........I had 5 footpaths across mine!! Still managed 3 stands (all shooting towards the house) :)

Shooting on or near a carriageway

4. It is an offence under the Highways Act 1980 s 161(2) to light any fire on or over a carriageway, or discharge any firearm or firework within 50 feet of the centre of a highway which is a carriageway, with the consequence that a user of the carriageway is injured, interrupted or endangered. The section applies to rights of way over which there are vehicular rights, e.g. ways shown on the definitive map as byways open to all traffic, but not to footpaths and bridleways.

Shooting near a footpath or bridleway

5. Good shooting practice requires that at all times consideration should be given to other users of the countryside. Although it is not a specific offence to shoot across a right of way, it is an offence to disrupt user of that way and cause a nuisance. It is suggested that shooting should halt whilst people use nearby rights of way, and that it is ensured that users have left the area before resuming. This is considered to be a necessary safety precaution and it should avoid causing an excessive noise disturbance.

Shooting on or near a carriageway

4. It is an offence under the Highways Act 1980 s 161(2) to light any fire on or over a carriageway, or discharge any firearm or firework within 50 feet of the centre of a highway which is a carriageway, with the consequence that a user of the carriageway is injured, interrupted or endangered. The section applies to rights of way over which there are vehicular rights, e.g. ways shown on the definitive map as byways open to all traffic, but not to footpaths and bridleways.

Shooting near a footpath or bridleway

5. Good shooting practice requires that at all times consideration should be given to other users of the countryside. Although it is not a specific offence to shoot across a right of way, it is an offence to disrupt user of that way and cause a nuisance. It is suggested that shooting should halt whilst people use nearby rights of way, and that it is ensured that users have left the area before resuming. This is considered to be a necessary safety precaution and it should avoid causing an excessive noise disturbance.

Well now, I wonder if the LOCOG imbaciles were given that snippet of info. Probably so, but they are that thick they could not read it I suppose.

Angel.

thank's for clarifying it Fuz, I didn't realise that a footpath differed from a road from as regard's shooting

Latest posts

Back