Interesting Friday Video...

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExSCA

ShootClay Admin
Fantastic video taken from a drone flight over Pripyat, Chernobyl in the Ukraine.

http://vimeo.com/112681885

Looks like nature is getting it back though. I wonder how long it will be before its safe to use again ?
Did this in school so Dont quote me but caesium-137 has a half life of 30 years so all the Gamma radiation is now half as powerful so 300 to 350 years until its down to safe or background levels.

Last edited by a moderator:
Scratch that I just checked and the Alpha particles have half lives of hundreds of years so it could be 1000s of years before its clean. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Their eyes do :crazy:
"BOOM!!"        Don't mess with a bear!    :sarcastic: Particularly a radioactive one!

P.S. The "Half-life" of a bear hit in the head with a .358 Win.Mag. is very, very short!

(Disclaimer - No bears were hurt during the writing of this post).  :biggrin:

Ha mainly the latter I was trying to sound intelligent but with minimal use of superlative.

Half lives

Don't you just love them

Uranium 238   4.5 billion years ;)

:santa:
Why don't they just say the 'whole life' figure?

It's like saying "Man might live for One and a half score and five" expecting you to know that it should be doubled.

Bloody Scientists! Another one for the list?    :fie:

Why don't they just say the 'whole life' figure?

It's like saying "Man might live for One and a half score and five" expecting you to know that it should be doubled.

Bloody Scientists! Another one for the list?    :fie:
I think the half life indicates that the 'things' never stop being altogether radioactive - they just stop being quite so lethal at some point. 

I think the half life indicates that the 'things' never stop being altogether radioactive - they just stop being quite so lethal at some point. 
That's more like it. Layman's terms. I get it now!  Thank Matt.  :biggrin:

So am I right in thinking in 4.5 billion years we can make some clays out of Uranium 238, and not be afraid of getting showered by the bits? I take some comfort in that.  :sarcastic:

In the video, the trees don't seem to be too affected. Gives you hope that nature will defeat the evils of man made energy.

And did you notice, even though it's too dangerous for people to be there, vandals have still managed to smash every window in the office blocks? 

Latest posts

Back