Is this forum becoming a bit too stuffy and paranoid?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Les Graham

At the top of every section is this in red.

Please ensure all profiles have a firstname/lastname - anonymous accounts will be suspended at the end of May

To access your profile - click

here

What is this hoping to achieve?? As I've said before anyone can fill in their profile with whatever nonsense they choose, as I've already said, I could be Bob Hope, or No Hope, or Ned Kelly, or George Bush, or Kate Bush even.

Answers on a post card please with your full name, gender, address, phone number, national insurance number, driving licence number, car registration details, place of birth, and what you like for breakfast. :.:

Matt and Jon have already covered this and I'm sure they'll be happy to explain again

Les - its an attempt to keep the site friendly and open for all - I'm fully aware that people can put what they want, but I'd hope that members will keep with the spirit of what is intended.

No one has been asked for any other personal information. And no, we are not stuffy or paranoid. It has always been our intention to not let this forum go the same way as previous forums which have descended into snarky, angry name calling by people that hid behind pseudonyms. I don't want us to go that way.

I like to think of it this way - the forum is a party, it happens to be at my house - everyone is welcome. When people come to my parties it's good to know everyones name - if anyone misbehaves, I can throw them out by saying "Oi, so-and-so, get aahhhhht!", so I ask that members share their names.

If it doesn't work for you - then I'm sorry - but it seems the majority of the site members like it that way. As do I.

Happy for you to debate this on email - [email protected]

Les - its an attempt to keep the site friendly and open for all - I'm fully aware that people can put what they want, but I'd hope that members will keep with the spirit of what is intended.

No one has been asked for any other personal information. And no, we are not stuffy or paranoid. It has always been our intention to not let this forum go the same way as previous forums which have descended into snarky, angry name calling by people that hid behind pseudonyms. I don't want us to go that way.

I like to think of it this way - the forum is a party, it happens to be at my house - everyone is welcome. When people come to my parties it's good to know everyones name - if anyone misbehaves, I can throw them out by saying "Oi, so-and-so, get aahhhhht!", so I ask that members share their names.

If it doesn't work for you - then I'm sorry - but it seems the majority of the site members like it that way. As do I.

Happy for you to debate this on email - [email protected]
Well said Matt.

P.s. have you got plenty of SC and C at the party (or is all the house caffeine free).

:)

When do all the girls turn up? Make sure you have some Bacardi in the fridge

I'm with Tobi, lots of single girls please Matt! And obviously - in the spirit of Shootclay - very friendly ones! ;) :D :D

At the top of every section is this in red.

Please ensure all profiles have a firstname/lastname - anonymous accounts will be suspended at the end of May

To access your profile - click

here

What is this hoping to achieve?? As I've said before anyone can fill in their profile with whatever nonsense they choose, as I've already said, I could be Bob Hope, or No Hope, or Ned Kelly, or George Bush, or Kate Bush even.

Answers on a post card please with your full name, gender, address, phone number, national insurance number, driving licence number, car registration details, place of birth, and what you like for breakfast. :.:

Les you seem to be the only person objecting to this out of the 500 or so members, i can,t see a problem with everyone being out in the open, and if your posting under a false name, can,t see it would be long before your exposed,the shooting world is quite small and news travells fast.

Many of you have met Matt and I or one or the other at various shoots, we are clearly identifiable by our skeet vests. We do not hide behind names and would like to think we are as friendly in real life as we are on here.

The ethos behind asking for names being visible in profiles is so that everybody knows who everyone else is; we have never requested that you supply any other details other than a validated email address and you real name; none of which are shared or even visible to non members.

There have been so many forums out there where people hide behind names, pseudonyms and think it's acceptable to personally attack other members and from day 1 we have been determined that it WILL NOT happen here.

Everyone is welcome here; irrespective of what discipline you shoot or your level of experience you are welcome and the current members reflect that and appreciate it. This is a shooting community, not everyone will always agree but provided it's polite there isn't an issue and we all have different opinions.

We have both made it perfectly clear, comply with the T&C's that you agreed to when you signed up, 99.999% of people will have no issue with that whatsoever and stay within the rules of which there are not many.

Anyone that wants to venture outside of the guidelines will quickly be made aware and informed why, any continuation will result in a permanent ban.

As anyone that has ever been involved in running one forums can be a massive pain; not only to implement, keep up to date and moderate. I don't think you will find any forum admin that hasn't thought "lets just take this down permanently"

We are not stuffy or paranoid at all, just putting measures in place to keep it friendly.

Hope that makes sense. Any problems with the above please email me at [email protected]

Hope you all continue to enjoy the ShootClay community and network!

Jon.

Les you seem to be the only person objecting to this out of the 500 or so members, i can,t see a problem with everyone being out in the open, and if your posting under a false name, can,t see it would be long before your exposed,the shooting world is quite small and news travells fast.
But I'm not objecting, just asking. There is no way everyone on here knows everyone else, as I said before I could be Bob Hope for all you know.

I don't shoot registered at all, never have done and most likely never will so most of you on here will never meet me. Just my take on it, nothing personal. :D

As an administrator on Shootinguk I can concur this is a very good idea and really helps to keep people more respectful to other members which is a must for a site to be popular and attract future generations of shooters.

People do not always agree with one another but we should all respect other peoples opinions.

Agree to disagree and move on.

Latest posts

Back