more woodies 1/8

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuzrat

Nipped up the shoot first thing hoping to find the rape cut, No such joy but the laid barley I was on a week or so ago had been cut.

Got myself set up in the hedgeline opposite where I was last time as I had walked off some from over there. Had 12 shell deeks, couple of floaters, the rotor and flapper out. Wind was off my 10 oclock not ideal but the sun was at my back which is usually a good thing. Shells in a horseshoe with a floater on the end of each leg, flapper half way up far leg and rotor at the head of the pattern. Pretty standard starting pattern.

They were absolutely dive bombing in,had 4 down in the first 20 mins and missed a few more so thinking this is gonna be fairly decent. Then It dried up, birds having a look but floating past too far out. Had a think and wondered if it was the electric toys putting them off, pulled the rotor in and switched the flapper off leaving it as another floater. Had a gentle trickle come in for another 20 mins then nothing again. Rotor out again this time farther foward and closer to the hedge, a few more nice and confident then nothing again.

Had spied a few going up and down the opposite hedge so decided on a move. Wind was in a better direction from my 4 oclock and the sun had moved round heading towards my back later in the day. Set up again and went through the same as before, 20 mins of action then nothing, rotor in, rotor out. Move it left, right, farther in, farther out.

Had spotted quite a few going into the top corner of the field all day but unfortunately its right next to a main A road with a well used cycle/footpath so no setting up there. With hindsight and if I could have been bothered to lug the rotor and its heavy as hell battery over there I would have tried tying a carrier bag on each arm and let it spin as a bird scarer.

Just one of those days that is real hard work and not helped by only being able to get up there every couple of weeks, reconnaissance is key in this game. Reason why Elvis shoots so many, he saw my rotor from the road and came for a chat as he was driving round looking for and watching pigeons.

Ended up with 29 for more shots than I care to mention, shot like a prat and had would think mr fox will have found another 10 or so in the woods this morning :(

25 here and picked another 4 from up the hedge on the walk back to the van.

IMAG0175.jpg

A bad day in the country is better than a good day at work.

Looks fun Andy.

Well Jel as I hear they say.

Last edited by a moderator:
A bad day in the country is better than a good day at work.

Looks fun Andy.

Well Jel as I here they say.
Absolutely! Will quite happily sit in a hide all day for half a dozen, Squizzing round with the binos. Was watching some kites and buzzards rising on the thermals, think one of the buzzards was close to getting clouted by jet traffic :.: Had a little field mouse nibbling on a leaf in the hedge next to me too :D

well shot Fuzz

thats a massive bag compared to what I shoot, recon is just not possible due to distance, hopefully that will change soon

I have a fair idea of the flightlines, they dont change drastically year on year. Problem comes when the wind is in a slightly different direction, they can move a couple of hundred yrds and if you aint under it it can make it a struggle. End up loosing a good couple of hours until you see a definite pattern and can move accordingly :(

Well done mate you can not grumble at that at all! Good luck to you I say and remember if you fired a fir few shells then that is what it is all about! Out in the country relaxing trying to get a few can't be bad at all! :)

I have a fair idea of the flightlines, they dont change drastically year on year. Problem comes when the wind is in a slightly different direction, they can move a couple of hundred yrds and if you aint under it it can make it a struggle. End up loosing a good couple of hours until you see a definite pattern and can move accordingly :(

You need time that's all fuzzy and there is only a few who have spare time to put in the required effort to watch a field. I have been involved in full days just looking and watch pigeons. If you think you have a big day it is always a good idea to have the gun when you are out watching. Fire a shot over the field and wait and see how the pigeons react. Where they go and how they come back to the field. If there are 100 sat in a field then every pigeon coming is going to be heading towards them. This can be very deceiving and 9 times out of 10 is not the ideal place to set up. We have watched fields for up to 3hrs before.

When you become more experienced of your land then you will know certain fields will shoot and where to shoot them from but again it is just watching and learning.

Sounds like you did not do too bad at all mate!

Glen.

One tip i would give fuzzy is, put the shot in the right place :cry: glad you had a nice day mate.Was gona set up the other side of the field but din't want to piss you off :wink: .Let me know when they cut the rap and give you a master class :)

Latest posts

Back