Practical Shotgun

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisPackham

I assume that this may not be everyone's cup of tea, but this is a genuine set of questions.

i fancy giving this a go, is it possible with a 3 shot semi auto (or ou for that matter) or do I need section 1?

if Section 1, would I be granted an open ticket, or would I need to have each location added?

if open, would it be completely open I so much as I could use it pigeon shooting where I shoot now?

i don't really want two semi autos taking up room in cabinet if possible.

lastly, any advice of experiences of this discipline, good or bad would be appreciated.

Thanks

don't think you need a section one for a three shot auto.

Its a very watered down version of the real thing, last time I shot it, was at the midland game fair in the 80's, it was a timed skittle run, using one of there guns. Time started once you picked the empty gun up to load it, slapping 8 shells into a spas 12 takes time, so I had a 2nd run with my trapgun and was a good 20 seconds quicker....

Save your money and go to france and shoot proper practical pistol on long weekend trips...

no, you are correct you don't, but most clubs seem to suggest 8 shot or more for which I would need section 1, is it possible to use 3 shot auto?
oh sorry I miss read your post

No problem, the thing is that i am on the verge of buying a 3 shot and if I need 8 shot I will buy one which can be converted, not all can..

I see the dilema. Good luck with it.

I would suggest that it would be a good idea to attend a ckub that does practical  first to get a feel for it and fond out what equipment is required from those with experience before going through the pain of getting a section 1 licence and shelling out for a new gun. 

Boring answer I know. Never been to one or know much about it myself. Sounds fun but before spending anything  I  think I'd visit first to check out  that it was competition based (my preference for taking part in sport).  Rather than being "I'm Rambo" based. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Paul, good idea, I will try to find a club where i can watch and find our more, I have seen this being undertaken at Dartford a couple of times, does look fun. In any event I 'need' a semi auto for pigeon shooting ..

Most police forces will not issue a licence for practical shooting with a multi shot shotgun ( over 3 shot )  unless you are a full member of a club that shoots that discipline or are a full member of the UKPSA 

This has about as much to do with clay shooting as hang gliding has with flying to the moon.

This has about as much to do with clay shooting as hang gliding has with flying to the moon.
Indeed, distinct similarities, thank you for your constructive input.

Most police forces will not issue a licence for practical shooting with a multi shot shotgun ( over 3 shot )  unless you are a full member of a club that shoots that discipline or are a full member of the UKPSA 
Excellent thanks, looks like 3 shot is the way to go and then review if I 'get into it'.

I have some experience in PSG, I've not long sold my Beretta 1301 comp as I just wasn't using it enough.

PSG is good fun, but bloody expensive. doesn't take long to get in the swing of things and start using huge amounts of cartridges in a very short time.

if your set on giving it a good go, make sure you buy a semi that is capable of being converted to FAC and can be modded to suit the sport. if you don't, you only end up buying another gun.

for reference, my 1301 was a 10+1 capacity and had a hogged out loading port, oversized charge handle, oversized ejection port, Nordic mag extension and low drag follower, Nordic barrel clamp and a fully polished interior action. bear in mind, that was small fry compared to what some of the professionals have had done.

when all is said and done, PSG is really good fun and takes a fair bit of skill, but its won and lost on the reloading of the gun when your new.

and not wanting to contradict Mr stones, but it does share quite a few similarities with 'normal' clay pigeon shooting. :angel:

+!

and personally i feel its not something clay shooting should be associated with bunch of people running around with loaded guns gives the wrong impression about gun safety and ownership.

just reminds me of "Magnum force" and i think that is in general what the public perception would be as they don't really differentaite between types of gun.

and i can not really see how it bears any relationship with clay shooting apart from using a shotgun,shooting a fast moving target that is 110mm in diameter at 70 yards or so is a vastly more skilled acheivement than shooting at a stationary large board from 20 yards.

not even a poor relation to clay shooting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Come on, respect practical shotgun please. When the zombie apocalypse hits, these guys will be kings. Smooth pull away method, with only two shots? Clay shooters have no hope.

+!

and personally i feel its not something clay shooting should be associated with bunch of people running around with loaded guns gives the wrong impression about gun safety and ownership.

just reminds me of "Magnum force" and i think that is in general what the public perception would be as they don't really differentaite between types of gun.

and i can not really see how it bears any relationship with clay shooting apart from using a shotgun,shooting a fast moving target that is 110mm in diameter at 70 yards or so is a vastly more skilled acheivement than shooting at a stationary large board from 20 yards.

not even a poor relation to clay shooting.
have you tried it?

have you tried it?
i have no wish to run around pretending i am swat,watched a few videos and doesn't appeal to me.

of the people i know that are tempted by it they seem to equate it with some sort of combat,personally it feels like the same people who love paintball/airsoft.

i have seen a variety of competitions and know that not everybody is running around in camo playing soldiers,a stereoptype created by the americans i guess.

but impressions are just that and most peoples first impressions stick with them for instance my first memory of seeing PSG is people running round shooting people shaped targets...now although i know they aren't used anymore it is still the first image that comes into my mind when i think of it.

i am a shooter so how would the general public perceive it ?

Latest posts

Back