Problem on the distance shots .

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WezC

So today I did my first CPSA shoot (with my new number) , which will go toward my first 300 birds.

Did ok, (I was happy with it), shot 61. One stand of 9 and one I scored a full 10 :)

The problem comes for me with the ones which are miles away, (at least they look that way), doesn't matter which way they are crossing, I just can't seem to hit them, actually, I could barely see one of the ones today. 

I am starting in front of them a little then keep adding more and more and more.... nada !

Gotta get some training on this I think..

Wez.

Worked for me Wez, just need that other set of guiding eyes, then off to a ground where you can shoot at your bogies till your happy.

if you can, set up a target and move away a pace further every time you hit it and if you miss 3 times go closer a pace.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get yourself to Wylye and have a session withh Rob Eaton mate.  No good just popping off at

them if you don't know where you are.  Some beauts there today, probably still be on next Thursday/Saturday. 

(Good shooting, btw!!)

I would go and shoot a round or two of skeet, as you move round the stations you will need to increase your leeed, so by station 4 you will be using the most leeed for both targets. Once you are happily hitting those crossing targets you can use that as a reference when you come need to shoot crossers that are miles away, so if you think the crosser is aprox twice as far as the skeet target on station 4 you can increase the leeed to suit, simples!

Not really, your barrels should match the speed of the target you are shooting at, if they aren't you will struggle to shoot well. The good thing about skeet is you can stand on station 4 for as long as you like to ingrain what it takes to break a clay that is practically the same target every time. Skeet teaches you how to shoot going away targets, incomers, quartering targets and crossers. If the wind is in the right direction at Bisley you will also get teal .

Not really, your barrels should match the speed of the target you are shooting at, if they aren't you will struggle to shoot well. The good thing about skeet is you can stand on station 4 for as long as you like to ingrain what it takes to break a clay that is practically the same target every time. Skeet teaches you how to shoot going away targets, incomers, quartering targets and crossers. If the wind is in the right direction at Bisley you will also get teal .
I agree shooting skeet will teach you about angles. But doubling the lead you'd see on station 4 of a skeet range,just because of distance doesn't hold true. Doubling the lead is a picture,regardless if you matched the targets speed.....you've just matched its speed with too much lead if its a slow target.

Distant targets have to be shot to get the right pictures and that'll only come with practicing on a variety of distant targets. Skeet can't teach that. Also,faster gun speed with skeet,so your leeed picture will look smaller....distant targets are slower,smoother,more calculated shots.

Good post, only thing I would disagree with is the barrels matching the speed of the target. There are many ways to shoot a clay, maintained or sustained leed being one of them (granted the best way for skeet) With pull away and swing through the barrels are faster than the target and they both work very well in a sporting environment.

Get yourself someone who knows their onions to stand behind you Wez, as Teepee says Rob at wylye certainly does. It maybe that your leed is right but it might be a line issue.

An experienced shot once told me that the best way to master long crossers was to start by using maintained lead so that the gun speed matches the target speed. Then start by shooting at the clay and increase the lead by 1 foot at the target (one inch at the barrel ) each time until you break it. The quickest way is to get an experienced shot to stand behind you and tell you what you need !

An experienced shot once told me that the best way to master long crossers was to start by using maintained lead so that the gun speed matches the target speed. Then start by shooting at the clay and increase the lead by 1 foot at the target (one inch at the barrel ) each time until you break it. The quickest way is to get an experienced shot to stand behind you and tell you what you need !
As above, but I wouldn't try maintained lead at an early stage. Classic CPSA method of pull off the front of bird and move out to a gap. Agree, keep speed similar to target though. If you speed away you will struggle to see / remember / repeat the leeed. Of course, note the line. So often there is a touch of drop involved..

When you get the hang of them you'll love them.  Nothing better than destroying a crosser thats nearly in another post code.

You will find them, like oithers have said start at nothing and keep adding a foot.  You'll be amazed at how much some stuff needs.  My long stuff tends to need 8 to 10 foot sometimes even more, but everyone is different.  Its also easy to shoot over or under long crossers.  Just shoot at one bird till you find it then the confidence will grow.

Best of luck!

It takes a devoted and conscious effort on your part to develop the skill first in practice.  Come tournament time you will have what you need to get'er done.  Not the other way around.

i agree with les53 it will be the cheapest way in the long run!!!!!!!    the only other way is you could shoot some skeet, then use this knowledge on the distances, speeds and leads to work out longer shots, but you will still have to bang a load of shells through that gun.

if i was starting out again with the knowledge i have now it would be buy gun, get it fitted, and get yourself a good coach (Bloxham) for me!! :hunter:

Yep, learn right early on and save a lot of time and hassle later down the line. Peg 4 on skeet will help you get better at peg 4 on skeet. Shooting them at 40 odd yards plus and under varying conditions will take a different approach. 

Latest posts

Back