Range finding binoculars or range finders

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisPackham

I don't see why Binos are soooo expensive.. Any suggestions at sensible costs, or alternatively recommendations for range finders

iy

wheel type measure,,no joke. or a tape measure !   most distances are "miss-guessed "   :D

Last edited by a moderator:
They are not too Dear,,

you didn`t specify a use? if you buy a decent scope with a graduated mill dot scope,  it will show you distance to an object.

I don't see why Binos are soooo expensive.. Any suggestions at sensible costs, or alternatively recommendations for range finders

iy
If you're shooting fox and deer at up to 300 yards (which is a bloody long way) I believe the main calibers are intended to be zero'd at around 200 yards with the bullet rise and drop being within acceptable range below and beyond that range to allow for dead on aiming without dialling in so to speak.

I have seen some very accurate shooting at silly range on rabbits where there is a huge element of correct knowledge of bullet rise and drop and dialling in based on known data, this kind of shooting will of course need very accurate laser range finding tools. I have a couple of the cheaper ones meant for air rifles but find in practice it's best to aim off as required. 

What calibre is your gun ? 

As it stands I'm use 17HMR for rabbits and fox, 243 to follow for deer and fox.

HMR zeroed an inch high at 100M so an low at 150M which is awesome, BuT... HMR drops off quickly after 160M and I need help with range, scope has range markings for drop but I struggle to guess range and the difference at 190 and 220 is huge, one of the paddocks it's impossible to be closer.

As it stands I'm use 17HMR for rabbits and fox, 243 to follow for deer and fox.

HMR zeroed an inch high at 100M so an low at 150M which is awesome, BuT... HMR drops off quickly after 160M and I need help with range, scope has range markings for drop but I struggle to guess range and the difference at 190 and 220 is huge, one of the paddocks it's impossible to be closer.
I have zero first hand experience of HMR but I have read more than my fair share and the smart money says the round is not really quite up to the accuracy required to regularly shoot at 200 meters, this has nothing to do with the shooter or the guns but apparently the ammo is simply too light to live with even a gentle breeze. Having said that I would imagine one of the cheaper range finders being up to the job. 

Spent this afternoon trying it out, 17gr is fine in 5/6 mph wind out to 140M and then gets difficult. 20gr is good at 180M but starts to drop rapidly.  Until 243 arrives it's going to have to suffice..

I have a 223 with nightvision for fox and a 243 for deer. And have never needed a range finder. Between 100 and 200 yards there is only about 1 to 1.5 inch drop. And at night you won't be shooting past 200 yards 

I have the Bushnell Fusion 10x42 range finder bino's.  I hate going stalking without them.  I shoot a .308 browning x-bolt. Very rarely will I stretch out over 200 yards and if I do, I prefer to get on the ground/high seat and not off of sticks.

I don't push the hmr out past 150 yds.  it's only got to be a Gnats fart of a breeze for the accuracy to be off. 

I have the Bushnell Fusion 10x42 range finder bino's.  I hate going stalking without them.  I shoot a .308 browning x-bolt. Very rarely will I stretch out over 200 yards and if I do, I prefer to get on the ground/high seat and not off of sticks.

I don't push the hmr out past 150 yds.  it's only got to be a Gnats fart of a breeze for the accuracy to be off. 
I was surprised how much better 20gr faired in breeze in HMR..

Latest posts

Back