Rifle calibre

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ips

I have never had a rimfire because I have never had the land or the need however having one in the cabinet seems to have moved up my "must have" list. So, looking at applying for fac on the grounds of possible vermin control (pretty sure I can get at least one keeper mate to sign off some land) and also looking at club membership, I don't like clubs of any description but it's a good way of using ammo and zeroing of course.

So, my question is what is the most common calibre for club shooting on outdoor range out to 70m ? Looking at a.22lr initially for vermin but not sure about the target side of things

I was a member of a rifle club, we used single shot target rifles in .22lr at 25 yards, 50 metres and 100 yards. I was allowed to buy up to 5000 rounds .22lr ammo and was allowed to possess 6000 rounds max. The reason for the 5000 rounds was to enable me to go to Eley and batch test ammo, once I found the best batch to suit my gun I could buy up to 5000 from that batch. A club might loan you a single shot rifle for use on their premises only. Target shooting is a dry old sport, you are only allowed to shoot at paper targets but it's a good way to improve your aim.

I also had a .22lr sporting rifle, sound moderator and scope for which I was allowed to buy limited amounts of .22lr hollow point ammo, I had permission to use this on a local farm, initially I could only use it on the specified farm, later they gave me an open certificate which allowed me to use it on any suitable ground where I had permission. I could also use it at the rifle club for zeroing and practise but not competitions. I could choose whether to use sub-sonic ammo for stealth or supersonic.

If I were to buy a rifle for vermin now I'd probably go for a .17 which has a longer range and a flatter trajectory - the down side is that they use supersonic rounds which are probably more expensive than .22lr. You would need to find out what kind of ranges would allow a .17

There are other kinds of rim-fire ammo to consider e.g. .22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire, also called .22 WMR

Your biggest problem is probably going to be finding a club within driving range, I'm told there are a couple within 30 miles of me (one is supposed to be a couple of miles!) but I've never managed to find them. On ammo cost grounds alone I'd have to agree with Martinj in that the .22 rimmie is king and of course it has the enormous advantage of being suppressible. 

Almost any decent field grade bolt action will cloverleaf at 50 yards with the right ammo and some can get seriously good groups at 100 but I found my Brno just too boring and cumbersome to use for plinking so a few years ago changed to a Remington 597 YellowJacket which leaves nothing to be (realistically) desired in the accuracy department and can ping a shampoo bottle head around at 60+ yards 7 times in as much time it takes a bolt action to fire and cycle two rounds ! In fun terms it's on a different planet and I've killed crows and magpies with it from 80-150+ yards with holdover. Mine doesn't need regular cleaning either, in fact I once ceased the bolt on my Brno solid after a 200-300 round target session, I only clean the Remington out of boredom and have let it go 1500 rounds+ before. 

Last edited by a moderator:
There are several Rifle Clubs on the ranges at Altcar, Hightown. They tend to meet every Sunday and most have some sort of clubhouse on site. There is also the 'Red Rose' club,  for something to eat and drink.

Good info, I am thinking .22 lr cos ammo is cheap. Gun club with outdoor range half hr ISH drive and westley it isn't altcar it's other direction from me 😏

I`ve had both .22lr and .17HMR and I have to be honest, I kept my .22lr 6 months and got rid of it, fantastic and quiet and cheap to feed but I couldn't live with so many ricochets . I either use my air rifles or the HMR.

HMR is also Fox legal here which is a big bonus when helping out keepers if you get the chance to remove a further fox for them.

ATB

Matt

I`ve had both .22lr and .17HMR and I have to be honest, I kept my .22lr 6 months and got rid of it, fantastic and quiet and cheap to feed but I couldn't live with so many ricochets . I either use my air rifles or the HMR.

HMR is also Fox legal here which is a big bonus when helping out keepers if you get the chance to remove a further fox for them.

ATB

Matt
My plan is to apply for fac air,  22lr and 

17hmr. Get the .22lr first and see how we go

If you want to use sound moderators you'll need to add them to your FAC application, yes seriously.

Have a visit to Bolton & NRP on Chorley old road Bolton. I believe they can shoot 50 yds indoor. 

If going for a FAC to shoot on a farm etc as a permission for the first time.   The FEO will want to view the land to assess it's suitability.  (And probably check that the applicant is safe and  aware of overshoot etc) 

Paul

I don't get this shooting inside malarkey, seems wrong to me. There is an outdoor range at Belmont 👍

It enables you to shoot in the winter, rifle clubs are all about competition shooting. After you have been shooting for a while you'll be classified and the club captain might ask if you want to enter competitions. Before the winter series starts you decide which competitions to enter then you get a stack of cards (targets) to shoot by a given date. You can shoot practise cards and/or Competition cards on any given session, I'd go to the range one or two evenings  a week and shoot one practise card to test the water then a couple of competition cards if things were going well (10 shots + sighters per card.) The cards are witnessed then go in for scoring. It does become quite absorbing, especially as you start rising through the classes, much like clay shooting. You also need kit like a jacket and scope.

It enables you to shoot in the winter, rifle clubs are all about competition shooting. After you have been shooting for a while you'll be classified and the club captain might ask if you want to enter competitions. Before the winter series starts you decide which competitions to enter then you get a stack of cards (targets) to shoot by a given date. You can shoot practise cards and/or Competition cards on any given session, I'd go to the range one or two evenings  a week and shoot one practise card to test the water then a couple of competition cards if things were going well (10 shots + sighters per card.) The cards are witnessed then go in for scoring. It does become quite absorbing, especially as you start rising through the classes, much like clay shooting. You also need kit like a jacket and scope.
Thing is I don't particularly like clubs, I am a bit anti social these days, 😃

Paul

I don't get this shooting inside malarkey, seems wrong to me. There is an outdoor range at Belmont 👍
I think it's airgun only.  The only outdoor range I know if other than the long range ones at Altcar and diggle is Appleton near Warrington which is 50m. 

One other thing is that there's a 6 month probationary period before  you get full membership so they can work out if your nuts or not.  :hyper:

Thing is I don't particularly like clubs, I am a bit anti social these days, 😃
you don't have to join one  . . .  but it's a good way of using ammo and zeroing of course :smile:

I think it's airgun only.  The only outdoor range I know if other than the long range ones at Altcar and diggle is Appleton near Warrington which is 50m. 

One other thing is that there's a 6 month probationary period before  you get full membership so they can work out if your nuts or not.  :hyper:
Paul

There are two outdoor clubs at Belmont and there smallbore not airgun, 3 month probation

you don't have to join one  . . .  but it's a good way of using ammo and zeroing of course :smile:
Aye, that's how I see it I just have no interest in comps anymore

I'm soon to be inviting rifle shooters with .22 or .17 hmr, or FAC airguns to come and help us on our farm just outside Hastings. I've never known a rabbit year like it. 

IPS have you seen the .22 hornet calibre. A fast, flat shooting .22 round that being centrefire you can reload yourself. 

I use a .17 hmr on rabbits as its laser flat on a still evening out to way beyond 100m. Usually a .223 when I'm out on the Charlie's but I'm low on ammo so I'm out with my .308.  I can shoot a rabbit with it.... If I want to skin, gut, and cook it instantly 

Lucky you Woody

We haven't got many rabbit oop north

Latest posts

Back