Scottish widows critical illness cover and cancer

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonny English

Evening all folks.

2 weeks before Christmas this last year at 34 years old I was diagnosed with testicular cancer , following a speedy intervention by the doctors, I was 1 testicle light by Christmas.  I have since had my meetings with the oncologist and have received good news.  My tumour was an aggressive grade T1 approx. 28mm in diameter, confirmed as cancerous, with no signs of spreading to other areas of the body and no need for chemo or radio therapy from the blood tests or x-rays.  I have now been put on the 5 year plan for monitoring in case it returns with blood tests x-rays and ct scans.

This evening I went in to meet my mortgage advisor for other matters to be told that I may have a case for claiming under my critical illness cover on my life insurance for the mortgage with Scottish widows.

Now I have no idea at this stage if I have a claim or not, the policy states that cancer is not covered if the following applies:

The following are not covered:

All cancers that are histologically classified as any of the following:

pre-malignant

non-invasive

cancer in situ

borderline malignancy

low malignant potential.

Now I have no idea if any of these terms are relevant to my condition or not.  Can anyone shed any light on the above terms, or has anyone claimed with Scottish widows etc before, or claimed on policies for testicular cancer?

On the plus side though I have made a full recovery when things could have been a lot worse!

Hi Johnny, PM your number, wife is a pathologist.

Edit to say that pathologists are the ones who diagnose from biopsy's so she has a working knowledge of this area. Its not bad news !!!

her quick answer is yes you could claim.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just spoke with my other half about this - She's a Dr of Cancer research over at Castle Hill - she says it unusual to be called a T1 aggressive - but go for a claim what have you got to lose !!

Hi V8 90, I'm at Castle Hill under doctor Butt, very nice chap indeed.  I think it was my local doctor that called it aggressive when he first broke the news to me before I got assigned to Castle Hill, so he could have been using terms that weren't quite accurate.  Been going to the new queen Elizabeth unit at Castle Hill to see Doctor Butt, very nice hospital and the staff are excellent, parking is a nightmare though!

Like you say nothing to lose, but also trying not to get hopes up.  They'll wriggle out of it if they have any chance to do so.

Glad to hear you're on the mend, as you say things could have been so much worse. Best of luck :good:

I'm sure they'll try wriggle out !! She's based in the Daisy Building right in the centre of the Castle Hill complex - it's a purpose built research facility with a massive Daisy Emblem on the side.

Hope all goes well & feel free to PM me if you ever need any info/advice

Norm

good to hear you beat it. friend of mine in his 30's also had the same he is going well  with no problems 8 years on, a damn fine shot he is too,  so no problem for you in the future. enjoy the shooting!

Thanks guys, it's been a tough few months, but glad to be looking back on it now. First found some discomfort during a days game shooting in the valleys of the Lincolnshire wolds in early December last year. Just got to hope I stay this way now.

Thanks all.

Cant help with the answer but just want to say Phew its nice to hear you caught it early and have made a good recovery.

Evening all folks.

2 weeks before Christmas this last year at 34 years old I was diagnosed with testicular cancer , following a speedy intervention by the doctors, I was 1 testicle light by Christmas.  I have since had my meetings with the oncologist and have received good news.  My tumour was an aggressive grade T1 approx. 28mm in diameter, confirmed as cancerous, with no signs of spreading to other areas of the body and no need for chemo or radio therapy from the blood tests or x-rays.  I have now been put on the 5 year plan for monitoring in case it returns with blood tests x-rays and ct scans.

This evening I went in to meet my mortgage advisor for other matters to be told that I may have a case for claiming under my critical illness cover on my life insurance for the mortgage with Scottish widows.

Now I have no idea at this stage if I have a claim or not, the policy states that cancer is not covered if the following applies:

The following are not covered:

All cancers that are histologically classified as any of the following:

pre-malignant

non-invasive

cancer in situ

borderline malignancy

low malignant potential.

Now I have no idea if any of these terms are relevant to my condition or not.  Can anyone shed any light on the above terms, or has anyone claimed with Scottish widows etc before, or claimed on policies for testicular cancer?

On the plus side though I have made a full recovery when things could have been a lot worse!

Sorry to hear you had troubles, please to hear you are doing OK.

My wife works in Histology.  Your "veg", would have been sent to a Pathology lab, where it would have been set in wax, then put through a bacon slicer.

A report will have been generated.

You should have this report in your medical records and will detail the variety of cancer that you had.  So take some advice on it.

I will also add, that a close friend and colleague, also survived testicular cancer and was paid out, Mortgage paid off and so on.

he DID opt for Chemo, but later stated that if it happened again, he would have to think twice about it...having Chemo sucks.

he like you, had some discomfort. when he went to see his GP about it, he complained about "a side" being sore, but in fact the GP said that the opposite "side" was shrivelled up and was surprised he had not noticed. It was this shrivelled one, that was the problem.

Nobody wants cancer, but if you can make life a little easier afterwards, great :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear you had troubles, please to hear you are doing OK.

My wife works in Histology. Your "veg", would have been sent to a Pathology lab, where it would have been set in wax, then put through a bacon slicer.

A report will have been generated.

You should have this report in your medical records and will detail the variety of cancer that you had. So take some advice on it.

I will also add, that a close friend and colleague, also survived testicular cancer and was paid out, Mortgage paid off and so on.

he DID opt for Chemo, but later stated that if it happened again, he would have to think twice about it...having Chemo sucks.

he like you, had some discomfort. when he went to see his GP about it, he complained about "a side" being sore, but in fact the GP said that the opposite "side" was shrivelled up and was surprised he had not noticed. It was this shrivelled one, that was the problem.

Nobody wants cancer, but if you can make life a little easier afterwards, great :)
Thanks Skeet, it's been a tough few months, the gravity of the situation doesn't hit you until your oncology appointment comes through, then it dawns on you your dealing with a killer. All everyone says is "well it's the best cancer to have" but you still worry all the same.

Got my 3 month blood test and chest x-Ray next week, just starting to feel the pressure again now it's coming close, every appointment can be the one they tell you it's spread it it's returned. Hopefully that won't be the case.

Thanks everyone.

Just seen this Mart,

Glad to see you're ok.  My old man was unfortunately a regular at Castle Hill - a great bunch of folks, you're in good hands, as it were.

Latest posts

Back