Stock oiling question..

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisPackham

Thrilling subject .... I am using Ccl conditioning oil and have finished the 'once a day for a week stage' and am now on the 'once a week for a month' stage.. My question is how long i have to leave the gun for before using it between oiling.

Thanks!

difficult to answer other than the obvious "when its summat like dry" the first coates will soak in quick but as you progress building the Coates up they will not soak in as quick. Personally if I want or need to shoot it I just wipe it down with a dry cloth then continue.

ps

I am doing my Beretta 687eell diamond pigeon game gun as we speak as its dry as anything which is usual for Beretta ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo E is nearly 2 years off from new and it took well over a year of tlc to get the wood as I want it.  Centenary ( that I am working on now) was fine until it was bent, now going through the cycle with this. 690iii was fit and re oiled by gunsmith, best additional 100 I have spent on shooting stuff so far based on time saved, it's fabulous..

Thanks for advice on wiping down, I am shooting at leat once a week with centenary until Xmasnow and don't want to use Ou unless I have to ( only for silly birds and stupid cartridges- 32 g no5 hpx)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are trying to build a smooth finish I wouldn't revert back to "once a week for a month", I would keep adding every day, until I was happy with it.

yep that's what I do. Keep going back to it every hour and palming it in.

If you want to fill the grain, use rottenstone and rub it in as a coat is about dry, leave it to dry then more oil more powder as required and it will give a good solid finish with no grain holes...

Latest posts

Back