The Jury

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FieldandClay

In a criminal justice system based on 12 individuals not smart enough to get out of jury duty,

here is a jury to be proud of:

A defendant was on trial for murder. There was strong evidence indicating guilt, but there was no corpse.

In the defense's closing statement, the barrister, knowing that his client would probably be convicted, resorted to a trick.

"Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I have a surprise for you all," the barrister said as he looked at his watch. "Within one minute, the

person presumed dead in this case will walk into this courtroom." He looked toward the courtroom door.

The jurors, somewhat stunned, all looked on eagerly.

A minute passed. Nothing happened.

Finally the barrister said, "Actually, I made up the previous statement. But you all looked on with anticipation. I, therefore, put it to you

that you have a reasonable doubt in this case as to whether anyone was killed,

and I believe that you should return a verdict of not guilty."

The jury retired to deliberate.

Some time later, the jury returned, and when the jury foreman was asked for his verdict, he pronounced a verdict of guilty.

"But how?" inquired the barrister. "You must have had some doubt; I saw all of you stare at the door."

The jury foreman replied: "Yes, we did look. But your client didn't."

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back