The News Monkey

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Les Graham

Have I missed something here, most of the news monkey stories come from Pigeon Watch, is this site associated with Pigeon watch in some way? :huh:

Nothing to do with PW, the Monkey just reads their RSS feed and reports anything he thinks will get him a banana ;)

Jon.

Nothing to do with PW, the Monkey just reads their RSS feed and reports anything he thinks will get him a banana ;)

Jon.
Sorry Jon, but that don't seem quite right to me, It's just poaching stuff from other forums to keep post and thread counts up on here. I've not come across this on any other forums either.

Absolutely not.

Many forums and websites publish their articles and posts using a tool called RSS (Really Simple Syndication), anyone can read those posts using a number of different tools We pull PW Clay Shooting channel, as well as CPSA, ISSF, Countryside Alliance and the main ShootClay site to ensure that our users can see the latest news from across the Clay Shooting world.

You can look at it two ways - we're advertising their work and connecting people to it OR we're providing the news so more people come to ShootClay and stay here rather than going to those sites. ShootClay is about connecting people to information - you'll note that we do not print the full article - there is a link to 'View the full article'. So if anything it's more likely to get someone to click on the link and read the article at the other site that stay here - but I think thats a risk worth taking so that people get connected. If all sites did this (like they do in the tech world) then information would be more available.

The News Monkey (a character I made up to make it fun) is excluded from the post counts - so doesn't affect post and thread counts here.

If you haven't seen this on other forums - it's probably because they haven't figured out a way of implementing similar news feeds, or they haven't thought of the idea. As a site owner, I'd be happy if all of our content was pulled into sites, it's exactly the same as guest posts and sharing the internet. I'm not in competition with those sites, there is enough internet for all of us.

Les they don't need to worry about keeping thread or post counts up, this is a community that can 'jaw' with each other easily. There are always loads of new threads and people to talk on them. It is not a race as far as I can see but a way of informing shooters about what is out there :) :)

Les they don't need to worry about keeping thread or post counts up, this is a community that can 'jaw' with each other easily. There are always loads of new threads and people to talk on them. It is not a race as far as I can see but a way of informing shooters about what is out there :) :)
Really!!

I like it, only really look at the clayshooting bit on pw anyhow so works for me. Also the monkey only brings me new topics rather than every single reply to a topic. Means I can pick and choose what I want to read too, ie a topic about wheres best for clay lessons in the highlands of scotland wouldnt interest me and as I have no knowledge of coaches up in the wilds and couldnt give a helpful answer.

As Matt says the internet is a vast place and anything that pulls a lot of information into one place for you to click through to can only be a good thing :)

Back