The spirit of the game..........

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evoracer

While shooting today at Greenfields there was a pair one being an arse of a fast turning Battue going away and if you weren't quick all you had was a a little straight vertical line and going away standard clay which if you shot the Battue first it was well away falling away to the right in a big loop. when a friend was shooting it he decided to play the percentage game and hit the going away standard and if he missed put the second shot on it if not he had a shot at a straight vertical line but either way he was going to get 50% 

I had already shot and hadn't done this. I shot the Battue then gone after the standard in the wind and the distance. But as my friend came out after hitting 5 of the standard and 1 of the Battues I said "i wish i had thought about it and done that" to which a bystander pipes up and says thats not in the spirit of the game.

What exactly is the spirit of the game!!! 

Last edited by a moderator:
While shooting today at Greenfields there was a pair one being an arse of a fast turning Battue going away and if you weren't quick all you had was a a little straight vertical line and going away standard clay which if you shot the Battue first it was well away falling away to the right in a big loop. when a friend was shooting it he decided to play the percentage game and hit the going away standard and if he missed put the second shot on it if not he had a shot at a straight vertical line but either way he was going to get 50% 

I had already shot and hadn't done this. I shot the Battue then gone after the standard in the wind and the distance. But as my friend came out after hitting 5 of the standard and 1 of the Battues I said "i wish i had thought about it and done that" to which a bystander pipes up and says thats not in the spirit of the game.

What exactly is the spirit of the game!!! 
Spirit didn't come into it on that particular pair, there was no rule indicating you had to go for either first. Hedging your bets can be useful at times, say if you're in a shoot off and only NEED a certain number of kills but on that pair the right thing to do would have been to shoot the battue first because it was killable with speed and skill, the second was the Brucie bonus.

Spirit didn't come into it on that particular pair, there was no rule indicating you had to go for either first. Hedging your bets can be useful at times, say if you're in a shoot off and only NEED a certain number of kills but on that pair the right thing to do would have been to shoot the battue first because it was killable with speed and skill, the second was the Brucie bonus.
I killed the first pair to be fair and knew where to hit them but I didn't put it into practice after the first pair shame really I think I came out with a 4 hit the Brucie as you say I would have taken a 5 I'm not really bothered I'm still learning! I just thought the spirit comment was weird we're all there to fill our cards as best we can!

Building the best score possible within the rules of the sport.

There is sportsmanship towards your fellow competitors and keeping the sport in good repute.

The spirit of the game to which your friend refers allows competitors to feel all warm inside, that although they didn't win, they completed in the spirit of the game!

All depends if you want a warm feeling inside or a trophy on the telly!

Building the best score possible within the rules of the sport.

There is sportsmanship towards your fellow competitors and keeping the sport in good repute.

The spirit of the game to which your friend refers allows competitors to feel all warm inside, that although they didn't win, they completed in the spirit of the game!

All depends if you want a warm feeling inside or a trophy on the telly!
To feel warm inside today would have taken a f*cking microwave!!!!

The spirit of the game is to get as many hits on the card as possible.

Nothing wrong with playing the percentage game.

Teal on the way down is another one often discussed.

Was at Westfield once and it had to be shot on the way up, or it was a loss. Very debatable when at top or starting to drop.

To feel warm inside today would have taken a f*cking microwave!!!!
I honestly can't remember the last time my teeth were knocking together so uncontrollably, bloody new Zippo hand warmer I bought is hardly any use, I reckon I could have stuffed it in my pants and felt nothing.

I honestly can't remember the last time my teeth were knocking together so uncontrollably, bloody new Zippo hand warmer I bought is hardly any use, I reckon I could have stuffed it in my pants and felt nothing.
. When i spoke to you on the top field i did notice your teeth chattering mate. :biggrin:

When i first started shooting chris daniels dad phil told me to allways look at 50% of something on a pair rather than 100% of nothing,and on a 25 bird sportrap 15 full use singles means if you get the odd second bird  your soon up to 20.Play the averages and build a score. 

Latest posts

Back