Tractors, anyone know tractors inside out?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonny English

We have a1989 Massey Ferguson 6080 that we use at work on site to pull a 10 ton tipping trailer.  But the old girl is showing her age and in need of replacement.  I have been looking at the John deere 6000 range ie 6400, 6600, 6800 etc at around the 93 - 96 age bracket.  Anyone know if these are any good, or anything any better to entertain in the £10 to £12K bracket? need about 100 - 120 horse roughly, think our 6080 is 105hp.

Thanks in advance Martin

Last edited by a moderator:
surely you must be talking about a 3080 not 6080.  61 series came out in mid 90's good machines 6160 70 80 90 all good, some suffer with gearbox issues due to harsh trailer work. john deere good tractors but you will pay a premium for like for like machine against massey ferguson . it will be hard to find a decent low houred deere for sensible money, high export demand at the moment. massey your best bet or another good load lugger case ih mx 135.

6400 will do the job, but it lacks weight due to being 4 cylinder, 6600 has the extra grunt and extra weight to make he job a little easier...

surely you must be talking about a 3080 not 6080. 61 series came out in mid 90's good machines 6160 70 80 90 all good, some suffer with gearbox issues due to harsh trailer work. john deere good tractors but you will pay a premium for like for like machine against massey ferguson . it will be hard to find a decent low houred deere for sensible money, high export demand at the moment. massey your best bet or another good load lugger case ih mx 135.
Sorry you are correct got my numbers jumbled up, it's a 3080 as ours has no turbo and the 3085 did. I've heard bad reports on the cases going through back diffs too easily, don't know how right this is?

That's what we thought, but typically there's more 6400's about. We'll keep an eye out for a 6600 anyway, not in any mad rush, thanks for the advice.
You would get away with a 6400, but it would need plenty of weights on the front and someone sensible driving if your trailer was loaded to the max!!!

less pots = more torque.

In a choice between Massey or JD I'd go Massey every time. The 40 series Fords were great and would be another option

Depends on the series, they did go off the boil and rely on their reputation for a while. We've been running Masseys for the last 5 years having switched from Ford/New Holland. My son could probably give you chapter and verse on every tractor out there and his mate works in the the New Holland dealership.

A nice 6180 will do the job, FORGET THE DEERE  Remember the old addage deere by name deere by nature!!!!!! make sure brakes hav'nt been cooked up as swarf goes through system into hydraulics. The perkins engine will run for years trouble free if maintained correctly.

A nice 6180 will do the job, FORGET THE DEERE Remember the old addage deere by name deere by nature!!!!!! make sure brakes hav'nt been cooked up as swarf goes through system into hydraulics. The perkins engine will run for years trouble free if maintained correctly.
Thanks I'll have a look at them tonight on agriaffaires and farmtrader.

Ooh tractor talk. We have a massey 165 its ok but a sod to get in and out of. We did have a fordson major but it was never the same after it disappeared down a sink hole with me on it, long story, very scary.

Ooh tractor talk. We have a massey 165 its ok but a sod to get in and out of. We did have a fordson major but it was never the same after it disappeared down a sink hole with me on it, long story, very scary.
My brother has a Massey 165 he's waiting to do up, clutch is on his kitchen table at the minute. He also has a caterpillar D2 that is restored, its a proper tractor!

MF 135&165 were pretty decent tractors in their day, still have a soft spot for the old 35 though. Son and his pal have just about finished refurbing an old David Brown.

You need a shoe horn to get in the 165 stupid design.

I love the old tractors, my dad has a 1966 Ford 3000 super dextor on the farm and it's still going strong, apart from a bit of normal maintenance all it's had is a set of rings and a hydraulic pump from new and it's not had an easy life as it's what I used as 12 year old to earn pocket money.

The next farm has an old zetor crystal he won't part with either.

Latest posts

Back