VERY SAD RUMOURS

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guerini Guy

In the last 24 hours I have heard of two clubs closing.

I hasten to add, as per the title, this is only hearsay and rumour, but hopefully there are others on the forum that may be able to offer more info ?

Firstly, I have been told that A1 Club in Barnet is due to close down completely, with the land due to be used as a graveyard !

Secondly, I have been told that Greenfields in Canterbury is due to close down, with the land being used for new housing development !

Both were a shock to me, especially as I heard that A1 had bought the Helice traps from West Kent in order to enlarge their Helice facilities. I have only been to Greenfields once but I know quite a few on here do shoot there regularly. I really enjoyed shooting there and I had been hoping to shoot there more in the Spring and Summer !

If the rumours are true, both facilities will be a serious loss to the local shooting communities   :growl:

Yes, I heard the rumour about the A1 being turned into a graveyard as well. I am there on Saturday for the Greater London AGM so will see what I can find out then!

The A1 have applied for planning permission to turn the land into a graveyard. Doesn't mean that they'll get it or that they will actually do it. I would like to know too though.

May be it's just a piece of their land,isn't there a bit at the front not used? Hope it's not true.

I have always been amazed that Greenfields hasn't been turned into housing, shopping centres or whatever, it is just too good a location as there are bus stops and a train station within walking distance ! Not sure how imminent it is though, maybe a year or three yet hopefully.

Are these grounds owned or leased?

If owned it is normally possible to do a deal whereby the developers provide an alternative site, club house out in the country etc

Obviously if leased you are out on your ear after due notice when the lease comes to an end.

Hi there I can assure everyone that greenfields isn't closing down not for a minimum of at least five years if at all

Were open as normal these rumours have been circulating for a while many thanks scott

this is an unfortunate by-product of shooting sports, most grounds are 'by kind permission of'' or on a lease agreement, or maybe on someones property that loses interest , or pass's on. but always the future of  a gun club is never secure. I'm still relearning the uk, so be patient with me!,

this problem reared it's head several times in the last 15 years I was in SA,,also a gravesite at one grounds, and a mine at another, and a brick quarry,, and another quarry that had issues over noise, housing, and politics!,,and more on the list,,,,,as if Africa is not big enough!,

anyway,, it became apparent that the shooters had to help themselves, how many grounds/clubs in the uk , are there, that are owned by the members? I ask because a few clubs elected to pool resources and purchase grounds,, and apply for conditions on deeds etc,, to ensure the future of shooting. (as long as it's an Olympic sport, governments have to allow it.) and the Shooters own the grounds, and rights. this has happened at at least two major clubs I was a member/ involved with, and its working well!

I further understand you cannot buy 300acres of surrey for a knockdown price of 5 grand!! I wish!!,   but I do wonder about the possibility of some where like bisley, maybe,, becoming a totally dedicated shooting ground,,, with NO strings attached? or the possibility of like minded people coming together for this purpose? over time, purchasing land for shooting for the generations to come?  will never benefit me,, but future shooters will,  to enjoy the shooting sports.

or are we all too' tight' to preserve a sport we all love?

don't take that the wrong way,,, but please think about it.

A1 will not be closing down until planning has been considered and after that.....there is another plan :wink:

Also A1 did not buy the old traps from West Kent ...Crofty did.

A1 uses new traps and was the first in the UK to have the first and only fully auto Helice traps. Their second layout (manual) are also traps from Emiliano Piatelli.

Claudio does everything properly.

The Helice and OT layouts will be going with him as and when he decides to move.

Hope that clears that up.

A1 will not be closing down until planning has been considered and after that.....there is another plan :wink:

Also A1 did not buy the old traps from West Kent ...Crofty did.

A1 uses new traps and was the first in the UK to have the first and only fully auto Helice traps. Their second layout (manual) are also traps from Emiliano Piatelli.

Claudio does everything properly.

The Helice and OT layouts will be going with him as and when he decides to move.

Hope that clears that up.
Has Claudio got a place in mind Nic? Does Boss Gumakers still own the land? I can remember the place when it had a really good ball trap and nothing much else.

Has Claudio got a place in mind Nic? Does Boss Gumakers still own the land? I can remember the place when it had a really good ball trap and nothing much else.
Claudio owns the land. It has changed a lot from those days Les :wink:

The rest is a secret :wink:

Claudio owns the land. It has changed a lot from those days Les :wink:

The rest is a secret :wink:
It must be at least ten years since I shot there. Claudio really did improve the place over the years!

A1 should just use some of the land for a graveyard - at least the 'residents' won't be disturbed or complain about the noise  :crazy:

I often discuss A1 with the sporting shooters that I used to regularly shoot ESP reg there a few years ago. We remain mystified as to why the sporting side of the ground did not become a great (indeed main) part of their business. They put the work in to the stands themselves, both in terms of variety, additions and noise protection.

They always had a small entry, which I (and everyone I spoke to) felt should and could have been far higher, with a few obvious changes. They ceased the ESP reg shoots about 18 months ago because they would never pay, as they were. A real shame if it closes with what I feel is a huge missed opportunity of a great sporting ground. The trap and Helice disciplines are all very well and are clearly the passion of the owners, but it's a no-brainer that if you want financial turnover, you have to do a good job with ESP which is what the vast majority shoot. (The trap side would not / barely suffer at all if the sporting were to become big there)

Latest posts

Back