what guns?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan12

Hi,im new to this forum and new to clay shooting.I Know that gun fit is at the top of the list when it comes to buying a gun but there is a few things that im stuck on.Should i be staying with the better know gun makers?new or second hand? highrib or flat? so many things to think about any help would be greatfully recieved .....thanks

Oh wow, all well answered questions on here.. Hit the search key for lots of info.

But basically approximately fitting gun, judged by somebody who knows (at this stage). Ideally used big name, like beretta or browning/ Miroku.

Flat rib Beretta or Miroku/Browning to get you started, after a while you can properly explore before coming back full circle.

"after a while you can properly explore before coming back full circle"

Um.....I went a tad sideways and now have an auto as well.

I am also thinking about a trap gun and I have'nt really started trap, as yet.   

Be very careful - this sport is very infectious and gets under your skin if you are not careful.   

Used, flat rib, multichoke, known make. Buy from a  reputable dealer that will let you shoot it before you pay for it.

The big factors are fit and budget

Last edited by a moderator:
All good points here, and mirroring my experience.

I started about a year a go - and am really happy with what I did.

I got a used Browning (Ultra XTR), I chose this one because it was really comfortable to shoot, felt right in the shop and when I fired it and I got it used at a price I was happy I could sell it on for if I wanted to.

I shot a lot for the first few months with it, easily 5,000 shells and had some good lessons.

Off the back of that, I understood far more what I liked and didn't like in a gun.

So then I shot every make of gun I could, from a K-80 down - to understand more what I was looking at. Yes it meant some miles travelling to demo guns/days - but well worth it, because at this point I knew that the Browning (whilst a good gun) didn't do what I wanted.

I now have a Blaser F3, which I've had fitted to me and absolutely love - but 9 months ago, I wouldn't have chosen this gun and likely wouldn't have known how to explain what I liked.

Key thing for me is to buy a gun that you will want to shoot, this likely means is comfortable and absorbs recoil well - then shoot it as much as you can, and expect that 6-12 months you'll change it anyway  - so make sure you buy something you can sell on for basically what you paid for it after that time.

Also, don't buy without shooting it - I love the Beretta DT-10 in the shop, love it. I've shot three, and couldn't hit a barn door with one - but they bruise my face something cronic - basically something about my cheekbones and their comb doesn't work under recoil (and this includes adjusting the comb all over the shop).

Pete

Why not go along to your local clay ground. Ask all of your questions regarding different makes and style of the various guns and pehaps the opportunity to handle and even fire them under supervision of the ground owner/Instructor. You may have to pay for that but the benefits will well outweigh the cost and you could possibly save more than the cost, through buying  the correct gun in the first place. Have a wander around the ground and look at other shooters and the guns that they are using. You may even find that most are friendlier than you first thought and will willingly let you handle and try their guns. Try to avoid doing this during a Competition and the shooter has just missed most of the targets he was shooting at or, at least have a jar of Vaseline handy !  ALL of the shooters that I associate with would be more than willing to let you handle their guns, especially if you then tell them it is the nicest gun that you have ever seen and had the privilege to handle and it must have cost an absolute fortune. Then having made your 'shortlist' of must have guns, you can start your search, armed with a bit more knowledge than you started with.

Used flat rib from beretta, browning, miroku. And for a novice an adjustable comb is handy so you can experiment as your gun mount alters as you learn.

Don't spend more than 1.5k because its a 90% probability that in 12mths you will want to change. (Don't ask me why just trust me you will and that's a fact) a used one of the above will not lose much if any value and if you get a good relationship going with your local gunshop they will look after you come the afforsaid inevitable trade in time. Gunshops LOVE serial gun buyers (apparently) :)

Oh wow, all well answered questions on here.. Hit the search key for lots of info.

But basically approximately fitting gun, judged by somebody who knows (at this stage). Ideally used big name, like beretta or browning/ Miroku.

Used, flat rib, multichoke, known make. Buy from a  reputable dealer that will let you shoot it before you pay for it.

The big factors are fit and budget

Used flat rib from beretta, browning, miroku. And for a novice an adjustable comb is handy so you can experiment as your gun mount alters as you learn.

Don't spend more than 1.5k because its a 90% probability that in 12mths you will want to change. (Don't ask me why just trust me you will and that's a fact) a used one of the above will not lose much if any value and if you get a good relationship going with your local gunshop they will look after you come the afforsaid inevitable trade in time. Gunshops LOVE serial gun buyers (apparently) :)
+1

I'm in a similar position to you. Bought a gun that fitted 'quite well' and have run 7000 rounds through it in 5 months. Started getting better then tailed off and got worse. Went to a good gun fitter ( >Thread ) who told me the gun was actually a pretty good fit. An adjustable comb will allow me to get a really good fit but the basics are in place.

The critical take away from the session however was that without developing a consistent mount all the rest becomes insignificant. If the gun is in a different place every time you pull the trigger then you are pretty much bound to get frustrated with any efforts to 'correct' anything.

Following my 'fitting' session yesterday morning I went out to Thursday evening compak and got 2 rounds of 21/25 ( 84% ) which for someone with 5 months shooting behind them is extremely satisfying especially with one of the rounds, the first of the 2, shot entirely on sim pairs!

The value of good coaching in the early period of your shooting can hardly be overestimated.

I'm in a similar position to you. Bought a gun that fitted 'quite well' and have run 7000 rounds through it in 5 months. Started getting better then tailed off and got worse. Went to a good gun fitter ( >Thread ) who told me the gun was actually a pretty good fit. An adjustable comb will allow me to get a really good fit but the basics are in place.

The critical take away from the session however was that without developing a consistent mount all the rest becomes insignificant. If the gun is in a different place every time you pull the trigger then you are pretty much bound to get frustrated with any efforts to 'correct' anything.

Following my 'fitting' session yesterday morning I went out to Thursday evening compak and got 2 rounds of 21/25 ( 84% ) which for someone with 5 months shooting behind them is extremely satisfying especially with one of the rounds, the first of the 2, shot entirely on sim pairs!

The value of good coaching in the early period of your shooting can hardly be overestimated.
AND you have to put the work in yourself as well, working on what the coach says and doing your 'homework' between lessons.

7k rounds that's more in 5 months than many shoot in 5 years!

Lesson, practise, practise, practise, practise, lesson, practise, practise, practise, etc is the way to do it... A good coach will get you shooting properly which may mean scores dip before improving.

8000 now! :)

Reckon I'll do 20k in the year. Might actually start hitting stuff by then. Managed a 46/50 at Northall on the sporting layout at lunchtime and then got 6/7 of the first few birds on the compak followed by 0 of the next 18 birds! Go figure!

Last edited by a moderator:
No, not too many I seem to have been shooting quite a bit and on about 4500 since March, don't have an exact count.  Need to shoot more but time won't allow.  Mind you I'm off to Dartford tomorrow night, can't wait.

Latest posts

Back