Would you try shooting from your other shoulder?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For a tricky fast crosser coming from your right, would you try shooting left handed so you can get onto the target earlier? This where the stand restricts you getting a good line, and a left handed shooter would have an advantage

For a tricky fast crosser coming from your right, would you try shooting left handed so you can get onto the target earlier? This where the stand restricts you getting a good line, and a left handed shooter would have an advantage
No, I would work on my foot positioning, my hold, and kill points first. If that was the first target of a report pair, would you be looking to switch back to the right shoulder for the second target ? Getting onto the target earlier is NOT the issue here, but the ability to shoot it in the right place is.

It is very rare for the hold point to be where you first see the clay - only if you are trying a fast swing through and you have very good timing - and I would suggest other methods would be much more reliable.

Whether you are left or right handed you need to be able to see the clay and then react. That 'distance' will more than make up for any advantage (if there is one) to shooting left handed and being able to 'look round the corner'.

I would also add that if left handed and shooting a right to left crosser with a fast gun swing - particularly if drive by the front hand - you can easily push the gun out the shoulder and that (again) impacts on your ability to repeat the swing.

It might sound odd but if you think you need to shoot it earlier, you are probably going to be more reliable shooting it late and allowing yourself as much time as possible to follow the clay with you eyes to the kill point.

How is shooting off the left shoulder going ??
When you can do skeet pairs, shooting backwards between your legs, then maybe consider a career change ? 🤭

How is shooting off the left shoulder going ??
When you can do skeet pairs, shooting backwards between your legs, then maybe consider a career change ? 🤭
I just wonder about it sometimes as I'm left eye dominant and fast crossers need shooting early or late. Early can make it an incomer so much easier than late when you may have little time before it hits the wheat and disappears.
As for switching shoulder, I've only tried it with a rifle in a Practical Shooting setup and I was surprised how well it worked.

I just wonder about it sometimes as I'm left eye dominant and fast crossers need shooting early or late. Early can make it an incomer so much easier than late when you may have little time before it hits the wheat and disappears.
As for switching shoulder, I've only tried it with a rifle in a Practical Shooting setup and I was surprised how well it worked.
Go for it then.

If you are left eye dominant , I’m sure you are aware of the various methods of taking your eye out of the equation . The only things you need to do is go down the tried and tested route , get a gun fit session to put your right eye correctly aligned with the rib , and stock adjusted to suit , get an occlusion dot in the right place on your shooting glasses , or get one of the shielded foresight beads , tubes , or rails . With a fitted gun and an occlusion dot you will still have full vision gun down or soft mounted to see your fast target , but the dot will come into play on finishing the mount .

This wouldn’t make a difference there is no right or left hand stick just cast on and off
My comment related to the person who suggested switching shoulders depending whether the clay was l to r, or r to l. Probably achievable if the gun had a neutral stock, less so if it was significantly cast on or off.

My comment related to the person who suggested switching shoulders depending whether the clay was l to r, or r to l. Probably achievable if the gun had a neutral stock, less so if it was significantly cast on or off.
Again it wouldn’t matter mate

Again it wouldn’t matter mate
If a right handed shooter, using a gun that’s cast on to suit them, can switch it to the left shoulder and “it wouldn’t matter”. Why would anyone bother having a gun fitted? I’m not trying to be awkward Ben, I just want to understand.

If a right handed shooter, using a gun that’s cast on to suit them, can switch it to the left shoulder and “it wouldn’t matter”. Why would anyone bother having a gun fitted? I’m not trying to be awkward Ben, I just want to understand.
What I’m saying is cast on and off is just that

There is no cast that is right or left. Only one that fits the shooter

Example cast on might fit one right handed and the next guy is left and it fits him

What I’m saying is cast on and off is just that

There is no cast that is right or left. Only one that fits the shooter

Example cast on might fit one right handed and the next guy is left and it fits him
Perhaps he has a big head and narrow shoulders, then? :)

Back