A question for you engineers - Not shooting related

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dog Tyred

Apologies for this but looking for some advice on a non-shooting related matter from any engineers out there.

I have just changed the door lock on my car which involved removing the rivetted on internal door card. I now have to reattach the door card but the rivets supplied to do the job are 6mm dia stainless steel and have a 3mm steel pin.

Can anyone advise of a rivet tool which accommodates rivets of this size as the concertina type tool I have does not accept this dia of pin (the mandrels do not open up wide eneough either even if I had the correct size nipple. I'm guessing I need a heavy duty tool but the specs do not typically list pin diameter, just rivet diameter.

Any advice gratefully received.

DT

Last edited by a moderator:
Things that don't open wide enough,nipples, and heavy duty tools????????

What's going on?

Its going to be cheaper to find someone to set the rivets for you than invest in the correct tooling.

webber

a real engineer

Reminds me of a friend who is an avid road cyclist getting a flat in France and discussing nipples in his halting french to the sales assistant in the cycle shop trying to get across what he wanted. You can imagine the look of horror and gallic shrugs that ensued :lol:   :lol: :.:  

Its going to be cheaper to find someone to set the rivets for you than invest in the correct tooling.

webber

a real engineer
You may be right but I wasn't thinking of buying.....more borrowing :)

Ulimately I may need to get the dealer to install them although that goes against the grain somewhat :angry:

DT

Last edited by a moderator:
Some motorist centres have tools that you can hire,whether said rivet guns are is another thing.

Just a thought.

Blimey have you got a steam powered car, which needs proper riveting together by use of larger compression tools, jack hammer and set tool.

You stated you have a 6mm stainless rivet with a 3mm pin. So am I right in thinking the hole in the car door is slightly larger than 6mm, a clearance hole so that the rivet can be positioned through the materials being joined.The rivet is closed up by the pulling the 3mm pin in a rivet gun which compresses both sides of the rivet together and the pin breaks off?

Blimey have you got a steam powered car, which needs proper riveting together by use of larger compression tools, jack hammer and set tool.

You stated you have a 6mm stainless rivet with a 3mm pin. So am I right in thinking the hole in the car door is slightly larger than 6mm, a clearance hole so that the rivet can be positioned through the materials being joined.The rivet is closed up by the pulling the 3mm pin in a rivet gun which compresses both sides of the rivet together and the pin breaks off?
You are correct sir. Standard blind rivet application to fix the inner steel door panel (card) to the main door panel. Seems a massive fixing to me but I guess in these days of crash testing etc, the inner skin becomes an itegral part of the door structure. In the good old days it would have been a sheet of polythene :huh:

DT

I fear you are going to need an air rivet gun something along the lines of a Sealey SA314 witch takes up to 6.4mm steel rivets.

Gonna need to be Geoff Capes to snap those by hand me thinks.

(Real engineer trained by atomic energy authority)

You could get pop rivett's that fit your gun and drill fresh holes of that size beside the old holes

Jesus! Thats a heftey rivet for a doorcard! Just have a wander down to your local coach builder and get them to do it for beer tokens

You may need what are known as Lazy Tongs. A decent body repair shop should be able to fix it for you for a few quid, not many people would have a set lazy's to lend to you unless they are into sheet metal work or similar.

You may need what are known as Lazy Tongs. A decent body repair shop should be able to fix it for you for a few quid, not many people would have a set lazy's to lend to you unless they are into sheet metal work or similar.
%24T2eC16JHJHQE9nzEyO6JBQhlm2k4!!~~60_35.JPG

I too believe your best bet is a trip to your local body shop,pay up and look happy !!

Door cards I have come across are held on by plastic poppers that are easily removed/reftted with the right tool.

Vic.

Latest posts

Back