Automatic jamming on 2nd shot

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My trusty Baikal works a treat but O/H automatic beretta is playing up

Its lovingly cleaned after each use but on the last 3 outings its played up.

Fires first time then will 'jam' when he goes for the 2nd, it will then fire when he trys again

Last clean he took it apart took the firing mech out gave that a clean as well (as far as you can without totally dismantling) and when he went on Sunday still the same issue.

Any one had this sort of thing before?  I'm voting for sending it for a full service but wondered whether it was more serious than that? (as in something that a standard service wont fix)

Yes the husband's spare gun - Beretta and I think a 391 -  is cleaned religiously and thoroughly especially in the wet weather because it rusts at the merest hint of rain but it will jam on the second cartridge.  Although not advised, a little oil seems to do the trick to get him through the shoot.  He can't wait to have his Kemen back.....again.

I would look towards a bent lift plate, but if this only happens on firing the second cartridge it should not be a problem on a clay range. The 65mm/70mm bit is, I think, a bit of a myth, I have used 65mm in both my 391 and 303 without any problems. I use Lucas red gun oil which is a tacky, heavy duty heat resistant gun oil, on the bolt rails and a small drop on the piston rod. My 391 has had in excess of 1000 cartridges through it in a day, all without any problems.  

Known several have issues with 65mm carts eley first particularly swapped to the old olympics no problem at all with jams, Hull superfast work well also

all this technology and  still problems , its what puts me off autos , although im  tempted to have one , being a old git and very recoil sensitive  . 

Whats up Doc ? Go for it, I have 2 Beretta auto's and have not had any trouble with either. Yes, I still have and shoot my O/U on clays, but being and old 'git',  I get neck and shoulder problems occasionally, so the auto's get an airing. A means to an end really, I also use my 391 auto for most of my Instruction, in particular with yougsters and Ladies and to date, no beginners have ever had any recoil related issues or injury.

P.S.

Stop using them 'F' in blacks and use a 'proper' cartridge and the auto will function correctly all day.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure that an auto is the answer to recoil problems. Theres a 30ins 391 Beretta kicking around here at the moment, its a big heavy gun but it kicks like a b@st@rd and is not the least bit comfortable to shoot. On the other hand, I have a 31ins MX12 with'non-standard' stock dimensions, it shoots soft regardless of cartridge make and is a pleasure to use.

So - I think the answer lies with some decent gun fitting techniques, a reasonable cartridge  - maybe 24gms and some good instruction on how to hold and mount the gun properly then maybe recoil will cease to be a problem.

Sounds like the bolt is not closing with enough force, week spring maybe or dirty dry rails

Thanks all

I was hoping to surprise him with some shooting whilst we are away for his birthday weekend so will try and 'engineer' it that he takes the darn thing to a gunsmith sharpish.

He said theres not even a click when he pulls the trigger the second time (did ask whether he was actually releasing between shots which he assures me he is) but it will fire when he tries again.

any recommends for a GS near us?  LE16/Kettering/Mkt Harborough  I know theres one 'attached' to Kibworth SG?

Thanks guys will give them both a bell and see who can have a look the quickest. Would like to get it sorted by the 28th nov when we head north

Jem - hope you are well! I keep an eye out for your motor when we go to kgs but you are like the scarlet pimpernel :0)

Will get him over to hallaton shortly!

Latest posts

Back