Barrel length

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
32" and 30" with a slightly longer barrel has a nice sight plane and smoother swinging.

In the event that the OP wants to upgrade or sell, it will be easier to resell than a 28".

One of my guns has 25" barrels.

I must be a really rubbish shot then. Can't wait until I'm good enough to use a 30" or even a 32".   :biggrin:

Barrel length has very little to do with swing dynamics - that is all a matter of weight and weight distribution.  And that whole "sighting plane" thing is just BS from the rifle shooters (where it actually does have some meaning).

If you look at the most difficult shotgun sports you'll find the 30" thing pretty dominant and has been for decades.  That's because it's easy to manipulate the weights to make a manageable dynamic.  If Digweed (are you as BIG as he is?) hadn't picked up a 34 they would still be relegated to ATA trap.  But that is just WAY OK with me since the 34 fad brought some killer 28" guns to the bargain table.  I know they will be difficult to resale but I simply don't GAF since they work so well for me.  I guess I'm a slow learner cuz I been happy with the 28's for about 15yrs now.

If you're buying a gun thinking of resale, you might be buying the wrong gun  :crazy:

JMO of course

well, not actually

Charlie

Last edited by a moderator:
25" gun means you probably have been around shooting sports a while.

Two of my friends that have 26" o/u, (weatherby, miroku) were passed down to them by their fathers.

25" gun means you probably have been around shooting sports a while.

Two of my friends that have 26" o/u, (weatherby, miroku) were passed down to them by their fathers.
sbmike, you're making me feel old!!

It is true to say I'm getting longer in the tooth as we speak though, and have warmed a few barrels (long and short).

Funnily enough, I have a gun handed down from my Great Grandfather through my family and that's got 29 1/2" barrels??

I like variation and choice!  :biggrin:

Considering that 30 and 32 inch are the current staple of clay shooting. . .why not?
Clever gave reason's for his answer . I was wondering what the reasoning was for other's giving similar advice .

A few people advising 30" or 32" as a first gun. I'd like to know why ?
I would advise 32" to everyone, almost regardless of gender and size. It's a fact of life that 95%+ of the best shooters in ESP use them, some started with 28", some 30" but they all end up with the best all round tool. 

They say beginners may find shorter guns easier to handle, I say not so, they're going to miss a lot of targets in any case and the sooner they can learn to cope with the way to hold a longer, slightly heavier gun the better. You're wasting time with 28" guns, even for beginners, buying a 32" gun saves time and money and you progress faster too.

I would recommend a 30" gun, stick with that and you can't go wrong. As for ballistics, lets just say there are differences between 28", 30", 32" & 34", but happy for you believe there isn't a difference :biggrin:

Hammy

I am not criticising anything you say or being argumentative (just so we are clear) but I am interested in your reasons for such a bold statement that 32 is the best option for all, this must be based on more than the fact that most esp shoot them as presumably on that basis 20 yrs ago 30 or whatever would have been the norm ?

A few people advising 30" or 32" as a first gun. I'd like to know why ?

I would advise 32" to everyone, almost regardless of gender and size. It's a fact of life that 95%+ of the best shooters in ESP use them, some started with 28", some 30" but they all end up with the best all round tool.

They say beginners may find shorter guns easier to handle, I say not so, they're going to miss a lot of targets in any case and the sooner they can learn to cope with the way to hold a longer, slightly heavier gun the better. You're wasting time with 28" guns, even for beginners, buying a 32" gun saves time and money and you progress faster too.
I shot 87 at at Wylye with my old 28" light weight ...... And shot many times 80+ with it....
I have now changed to a 30" and found its harder work and I now down in scores... The only reason for me changing because the stock had moved on my 28" (and I've got older and filled out) it was cheaper to change guns, I wish I had the stock done now......
I would of stood next to the best and did many times with my 28"
Not so sure I would put money on myself with this new 30"...............

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I shot 87 at at Wylye with my old 28" light weight ...... And shot many times 80+ with it....I have now changed to a 30" and found its harder work and I now down in scores... The only reason for me changing because the stock had moved on my 28" (and I've got older and filled out) it was cheaper to change guns, I wish I had the stock done now......I would of stood next to the best and did many times with my 28"Not so sure I would put money on myself with this new 30"...............Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If you Don't mind me asking, how long is it since you changed to a 30"?

Hammy

I am not criticising anything you say or being argumentative (just so we are clear) but I am interested in your reasons for such a bold statement that 32 is the best option for all, this must be based on more than the fact that most esp shoot them as presumably on that basis 20 yrs ago 30 or whatever would have been the norm ?
I'm aware that certain Trap disciplines are more suited to 30" and that many dedicated Skeet shooters prefer them too but for English Sporting the 32" is the best all rounder. It's true that 30+ years ago most of us shot with 28" guns as there were very few 30" guns available back then, the early 32" guns tended to be poorly balanced with a rather muzzle heavy feel so the transition didn't happen overnight.

But as better long guns became available people have found them easier to shoot with, they take little effort to adapt to close targets and are undoubtedly more pointable and fluid on longer targets and repeating breaks (as is the requirement in ESP) is easier. I appreciate the statement is bold but it is not just based on my own experience, rather the reality of what the best shoot. The Top 20 isn't a fair comparison maybe (I think they all use 32") but the majority of the top 20% in the game can't all be choosing 32" because of clever marketing ?! 

For the last 20 years they have been saying 32" is a fad and we'll go full circle again back to 27.5" etc, we won't, it'll never happen, I was prepared to take a good money bet on it then as I am now. You can fool all of the people some of the time as they say, you can fool some people all of the time but you can't fool all of the people all of the time.  :)

I shot 87 at at Wylye with my old 28" light weight ...... And shot many times 80+ with it....I have now changed to a 30" and found its harder work and I now down in scores... The only reason for me changing because the stock had moved on my 28" (and I've got older and filled out) it was cheaper to change guns, I wish I had the stock done now......I would of stood next to the best and did many times with my 28"Not so sure I would put money on myself with this new 30"...............Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you Don't mind me asking, how long is it since you changed to a 30"?
Around September time, I'm shooting game fine with the 30"
And to be fair had a couple of nice scores with it but just can't to seem to settle with it.....
Very up and down...........

Hammy

many thanks for a clear explanation. As you know i no nothing of sporting so i accept your knowledge on the matter. Many trap shooters use 32 i have had a couple but didn't get on, i usually go for 30 however the 682 gold just under 31 i loved.

Around September time, I'm shooting game fine with the 30" And to be fair had a couple of nice scores with it but just can't to seem to settle with it.....Very up and down...........Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
. If the gun fit is correct, or as close to your 28" then I would put it more down to you than the gun!! But sometimes we really do get attached to our equipment, for feel, and comfort

You can't shoot a long gun the same way you do a shorter one but if you put the effort in and adjust your hold points and reduced swing, rhythm etc, you'll get to see they almost drive themselves compared to 28".

Around September time, I'm shooting game fine with the 30" And to be fair had a couple of nice scores with it but just can't to seem to settle with it.....Very up and down...........Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk. If the gun fit is correct, or as close to your 28" then I would put it more down to you than the gun!! But sometimes we really do get attached to our equipment, for feel, and comfort
I'm believing its me, and going to give it some time, the weather since September has not been to fair, so I plod on, and yes it's a perfect match cast and length to my old 28" .......
I've been shooting since knee height off a grass hopper, so I've some idea of what goes where......... :)

I'm believing its me, and going to give it some time, the weather since September has not been to fair, so I plod on, and yes it's a perfect match cast and length to my old 28" .......I've been shooting since knee height off a grass hopper, so I've some idea of what goes where......... :)Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
. Yes I didn't doubt that!! I just feel that I could switch barrel length comfortably, as long as gunfit was equal!! Just take a little time to convert. Keep blasting away!!

Around September time, I'm shooting game fine with the 30" And to be fair had a couple of nice scores with it but just can't to seem to settle with it.....Very up and down...........Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'd give it a good year to settle down, I went from a 30" Beretta to a 32" Browning 18 months ago, it took me a whole year to come good again. I had a honey moon period of a month or two where it went like a dream, then the wheels fell off big time. Then slowly it came good again over at least 6 months if not more. You might grow to love it yet.

Latest posts

Back