Best Ear Protection?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john1234

Hello everyone

I am about to start learning clay shooting and am concerned about my ears. So I am wondering if anyone can recommend the best ear protection and how effective is it? What sort of sound do you actually hear from the gun when you have ear protection in place?

Cheers

John

It is a bit subjective. I would say that I don't like noise, but pretty much anything is good enough, even the cheap yellow plugs if you fit them properly. Downside then is hearing speech etc.

It boils down to a) cheap foam plugs B) expensive moulded plugs c) expensive moulded plugs with electronic filter d) cheap headphones or e) expensive headphones with electronic filters.

My personal preference is 'e' as it is the best hearing protection and it's keep your ears warm in the winter. Having said that, they vary a lot. I personally found that the only ones I like are the MSA Sordin ones, with jelly pads. These are really comfortable to wear ( most are not) and if you put them on 'backwards' there is a cut out for the control panel which provides room for the stock. (most headphones will bash the stock as you shoot, which is very annoying).

To answer your question, you hear very little gun noise when you shoot. Really it's not an issue.

Here endeth my lesson

Cheers CSC3

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers for that CSC3. I am really not happy with the loud bangs, hence my desire to find good ear protection. I have wanted to do some shooting for a long time but put it off because of this, and as a result have only ever shot with air rifles.

With regard to wearing the ear muff type ear protection i have one question - I wear glasses all the time, so will the glasses cause a problem with the muffs - ie causing them to not seal properly?

Cheers

John

It may make a small difference. Proper shooting glasses are very thin on the sides to assist, but the main element is comfort rather than noise issues.

Some people who are very anti noise wear ear plugs and earphones at once. Really, you will find a solution, it won't be an issue.

It is a very personal thing really and it can be quite expensive to find out some of the options aren't for you. I don't like the moulded solid plugs as it cuts out all noise, you can't hear any conversation and you feel quite isolated, same with the ear muffs + they can catch on the stock when mounting the gun (as above - they do keep your ears warm in winter though).

Not a fan of the electronic muffs or plugs either, not tried the plugs but they will do the same as the muffs and that is to appear to amplify sounds & speech from behind you when on the stand. Sounds daft but with my chosen type of protection I can hear conversations when outside the shooting stand but not when I'm in it, with electronics I felt as though people were shouting at each other just behind me!

The sort I've settled on are moulded plugs with a passive filter. These are non electronic but have some filtration/restriction built in. As above it reduces the bang to acceptable levels but allows you to have a chat between stands. These are often seen at game fairs, moulds taken on the day and the plugs posted out to you a couple of days later. If that's the route you decide to take if you bingle "moulded passive earplug" there will be someone near you who will supply them.

Mr Potter

PS My biggest problem is losing them, I'm on my 4th pair in about 5 or 6 years!! A final tip is to make sure you get them in contrasting colours, I got my right ear in red and left in blue but any combination to stop you trying to put the wrong one in the wrong ear.

Mr Potter - thanks, I did suspect it was going to be an expensive case of trial and error.

CSC3 - which of the MSA Sordin muffs did you go for, there seems to be a massive range of type and prices out there?

CHeers

John

Pro x is it.? had them three years.

My mate bought some slightly cheaper ones, just as good. Just ensure they have the three buttons in the 'cut out' on one ear. Not cheap but if you don't get on with them they will sell easily..

myself and mrs jasper have the moulded ones with passive filter same as mr potter. superb. got them from a game fair. but they were done by Mike Cam of custom ear protection. think they will come out to you at home or work.

www.customearprotection.co.uk

99 high street

fordington

dorchester

DT1 1LD

01305 264021

Purely from a medical point of view full ear muffs offer better protection than ear plugs,moulded or otherwise.

The reason behind this is that the bony structure behind the ear conducts sound almost as well as the ear itself and full muffs protect that area.

When I was working on aircraft I was required to have an annual hearing test because my hearing had already deteriorated and part of the test was conducted by placing a tuning fork on said bony structure.

An objection to full muffs is that it is possible for your gun to bang on them but they are available in slim line form with a cutaway portion that prevents that happening.

Another objection to muffs is that they are sweaty.Cotton covers can be fitted,available from aviator suppliers,that overcome that problem.

The best protection of all is to wear plugs and muffs,remember,your ears will suffer permanent,irreversible damage from just one loud noise.

Vic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Purely from a medical point of view full ear muffs offer better protection than ear plugs,moulded or otherwise.

The reason behind this is that the bony structure behind the ear conducts sound almost as well as the ear itself and full muffs protect that area.

When I was working on aircraft I was required to have an annual hearing test because my hearing had already deteriorated and part of the test was conducted by placing a tuning fork on said bony structure.

An objection to full muffs is that it is possible for your gun to bang on them but they are available in slim line form with a cutaway portion that prevents that happening.

Another objection to muffs is that they are sweaty.Cotton covers can be fitted,available from aviation suppliers,that overcome that problem.

The best protection of all is to wear plugs and muffs,remember,your ears will suffer permanent,irreversible damage from just one loud noise.

Vic.
Vic,

Don't forget that the damage to your hearing is not just done by the loudness of the noise but the length of the exposure. Industrial noise, especially aircraft engine noise, is continuous whereas the noise from shooting is intermittent. The level of protection required for intermittent noise is a lot less than continuous (industrial) noise.

If I had to use plugs & earmuffs I would have to remove it between stands, I genuinely can't abide the feeling of isolation too high a level of hearing protection brings but with the passive moulded earplugs I use I don't remove them from the clubhouse back to the car park.

Mr Potter

Thanks for the input Jasper, VicW and Mr Potter.

Jasper - good to see another vote for the passive moulded ones.

Vic W - You are starting to make me even more worried! I already fear for my ears but would really like to do some shooting. I am now considering an option of getting some of the moulded plastic plugs to wear all the time i am at the ground and then some decent muffs to wear over the top when actually shooting.

I used moulded ear plug's only, for a year or two. My hearing certainly deteriorated and have been using ear muff's with a high level of protection ever since.

I use Electronic Ear defenders

I have a Peltor pair and a pair from Bisley both are great for me.

Dont interfere with gun mount and I can chat to others whilst shooting.

Only use earmuff's, don't need plug's as well. They block a lot more noise than the normal shotgun muff's, Peltor Optime III.

they look bulky but they don't feel heavy and don't touch the stock either

Latest posts

Back