Best Gig ever seen....who, where, when and why?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to get to see loads of bands when younger, Spandau Ballet, Duran Duran, The Associates, Alison Moyet, Thompson Twins, Madness (my favourite), saw Barclay James Harvest in Folkestone but hands down the best was Darts when they played at  Canterbury University. 

It was at the tail end of their fame so the audience was small but being so close to them and watching the guy banging the piano with his feet was just fantastic, they really gave their all.

This is fun!

Here are a few memorable ones:

Bob Seger, Manchester 77.

Dire Straits, Manchester late 70's, before they were famous.

Pretenders, Manchester Uni the week 'Brass in Pocket' was No1.

Magazine, Manchester late 70's.

Ian Dury, Salford Uni, several times.

The Jam, The Clash Manchester late 70's

Echo and the Bunnymen several times.

Pink Floyd Animals tour.

Steve Earle, London ages ago.

Neil Young Brixton about 12 years ago (amazing, the best).

REM London 2 or 3 yrs ago.

God I'm old........

This is fun!

Here are a few memorable ones:

Bob Seger, Manchester 77.

Would love to have seen Bob Llive

Dire Straits, Manchester late 70's, before they were famous.

Pretenders, Manchester Uni the week 'Brass in Pocket' was No1.

Magazine, Manchester late 70's.

Ian Dury, Salford Uni, several times.

The Jam, The Clash Manchester late 70's

Echo and the Bunnymen several times.

Pink Floyd Animals tour.

Steve Earle, London ages ago.

Neil Young Brixton about 12 years ago (amazing, the best).

REM London 2 or 3 yrs ago.

God I'm old........

Tell me about it

This is getting me in loads of trouble with Mrs H

The house is littered with old concert programs, tour shirts and my vinyl collection is out of the attic and back downstairs.

Plus I never mentioned 

Bowie 86ish Milton Keynes bowl - She is a massive Bowie fan

Donny and Marie Osmond - The Flamingo, Vegas 2012 - I gained soooooo many points for getting tickets for this. Donny even touched her hand.

Thou pleasantly surprised at how fit Marie was for her age. Suddenly those points have such a short sell by date. :fie:   :fie:

Just remembered another blue oyster cult early 80s they were quite disappointing really. :(

First ever gig:

Triumph - Progessions of Power tour 1980 at Southampton, I was 14 at the timebloodly brilliant, ears were ringing for days.

Most memorable Deep Purple Knebworth 1985. Gene will understand the reason......

Status Quo - End of the Road tour 1984, again at Southampton, on the last day of the official tour, my girlfriend who is now my wife and her brother stood in the que to get the tickets from the box office. The Quo were very good they played without a support band for over 3 hours. However they they went and spoiled it by anouncing further dates to extend the tour. They then went on to reform with a different bassist and started touring again a couple of years later, never have liked them since.

Ozzy Osbourne - Bark at the moon tour Hammersmith.

Saxon - Denim and Leather Tour Hammersmith

Saxon - The Eagle has landed Tour

Whitesnake - Slip of the Tongue Tour.

Monsters of Rock with Ozzy as the headliners.

Deep Purple - House of the Blue light Tour with Bad Company as the support.

Just a few that I can remember at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably the Knebworth '90 gig with many artists performing

Dire Straits in 91/92 at Wembley Arena

Pink Floyd in 94 at Earls Court

Slade in 83/84 at LCR at The University of East Anglia - a very good band live back then, Noddy Holder could talk louder than most people

can shout

Yazz at the Hammersmith Odeon in 88 (I liked her very much)

Page and Plant at W.A. in about 98/99 I think.

Not been to many gigs though for one reason or another

I did go to see Girls Aloud with my sister-in-law and her kids because she didn't know how to get to W.A. but I'm not admitting to that on here.

Gene, it did rain at the Knebworth '90 gig - the first band (Tears For Fears) and the last band (Pink Floyd) got rained on,   Dave Gilmour said " The fist lot and the last lot get the rain - thems the breaks" and we trudged bact to our cars soaking wet at about midnight or just after.

Did try for Led Zeppelin (2?) at The O2 but at about 1000:1 (20 000 000 people after 20 000 tickets) I didn't get one. 

Am I really the only one that's going to own up to Kylie and S Club 7 :oops:

DT
Er yes.... :)

But ok I own up to having seen Spandau ballet in 2001 mrs ips dragged me there it was at park hall hotel and country club thing (Camelot theme park) near home. A 3 course meal followed by Spandau all very civilised ...... they were brilliant, no really they were I admit it. All the middle aged women throwing there laundry at him and everything. It was most enlightening as knicker throwing was at the least frowned upon at monsters of rock festival and the like :)

Regrets, I've had a few.

Tried to see Joy Division several times but never got in. Disaster.

On holiday in Dublin once and found out that David Bowie was doing a warm up gig at a local place. Queued up for that for ages and didn't get in there either. 

Rory Gallagher - Chatham - 1972 part of his Live in Europe Tour

Roxy Music - cant remember where - 1973

Chris Rea -  Wembley - 80's

Dire Strats - Knebworth - 1990

Rory Gallagher - Chatham - 1972 part of his Live in Europe Tour
ooh Rory Gallagher, apparently an interviewer once said to jimi Hendrix that he (JH) was the best guitarist in the world, jimi Hendrix replied no I am not Rory Gallagher is the best guitarist in the world. Don't know how true but that is what I once heard.

ooh Rory Gallagher, apparently an interviewer once said to jimi Hendrix that he (JH) was the best guitarist in the world, jimi Hendrix replied no I am not Rory Gallagher is the best guitarist in the world. Don't know how true but that is what I once heard.
Spot on Ips. Rory was special! (RIP) Much missed.

Probably the Knebworth '90 gig with many artists performing

Dire Straits in 91/92 at Wembley Arena

Pink Floyd in 94 at Earls Court

Slade in 83/84 at LCR at The University of East Anglia - a very good band live back then, Noddy Holder could talk louder than most people

can shout

Yazz at the Hammersmith Odeon in 88 (I liked her very much)

Page and Plant at W.A. in about 98/99 I think.

Not been to many gigs though for one reason or another

I did go to see Girls Aloud with my sister-in-law and her kids because she didn't know how to get to W.A. but I'm not admitting to that on here.

Gene, it did rain at the Knebworth '90 gig - the first band (Tears For Fears) and the last band (Pink Floyd) got rained on, Dave Gilmour said " The fist lot and the last lot get the rain - thems the breaks" and we trudged bact to our cars soaking wet at about midnight or just after.

Did try for Led Zeppelin (2?) at The O2 but at about 1000:1 (20 000 000 people after 20 000 tickets) I didn't get one.
Your right, it did rain at knebworth 90
If I remember it got so windy that they have to take down the round projection screen when floyd were on, as it was almost horizontal.

All the middle aged women throwing there laundry at him and everything. It was most enlightening as knicker throwing was at the least frowned upon at monsters of rock festival and the like :)
Certainly didn't see any knickers being thrown at Monsters of Rock or Knebworth, just bottles with no lids on, semi full of a yellow coloured liquid............

The walk to the lav's was a bit far for some.

When Motorhead played Lemme, in no uncertain terms, said if they didn't stop throwing bottles at the stage, then they were off and weren't coming back.

Latest posts

Back