Cartridge for new shooter .

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave_3

I am new to the sport (just over two weeks). I got a 1000 hull comp x with my gun. Is this a good cartridge? I understand it's their entry level product but at this stage will I benefit from a better product? The guy in the shop said the lyvale power blue (that my friend shoots). Is £30 more a thousand. I know that's not much diluted over a 1000 but he said you'd be better spending that £30 on a 100 extra clays at the moment. Thoughts please

I am new to the sport (just over two weeks). I got a 1000 hull comp x with my gun. Is this a good cartridge? I understand it's their entry level product but at this stage will I benefit from a better product? The guy in the shop said the lyvale power blue (that my friend shoots). Is £30 more a thousand. I know that's not much diluted over a 1000 but he said you'd be better spending that £30 on a 100 extra clays at the moment. Thoughts please
Stay with the entry level at the moment. Worry about higher end cartridges when you start hitting the bigger targets. There's plenty of good shooters that practice and even compete with sub £300/thousand cartridges. Hull Comp X, Fiocchi Litespeed & Fblu and Gamebore Velocity ( to name a few) all meet your current needs. It's mostly going to depend on local availability. Put that £30 towards a lesson. £30 of extra clays is a waste if you don't know where you're going wrong.

Take heed of all that has been said, in particular the bit about a lesson or three.
I don't think a 'bad' cartridge exists any more, BUT, as you gain experience, you will tend to favour one cartridge over another, for various reasons. I was an ardent Cheddite user, dismissing other makes, including the Fiocchi because they were 'dirty', leaving a lot of residue in my gun. However, I was persuaded to try the Fiocchi 'F' Blues and like Jasper have become a firm user of them. A great cartridge in both 24 and 28 gram, plastic or fibre wads.

I agree, at this stage it won't matter what cartridges you use so you might as well use the cheapest you can get your hands on. Your misses will have very little to do with the ammo you are using.
As you get better and more experienced you will probably gravitate toward a particular cartridge.
For the record, I also use Fiocchi Fblu's (and FBlacks) based on performance, availability and cost.

Stay with the entry level at the moment. Worry about higher end cartridges when you start hitting the bigger targets. There's plenty of good shooters that practice and even compete with sub £300/thousand cartridges. Hull Comp X, Fiocchi Litespeed & Fblu and Gamebore Velocity ( to name a few) all meet your current needs. It's mostly going to depend on local availability. Put that £30 towards a lesson. £30 of extra clays is a waste if you don't know where you're going
I was given a box of Lightspeed to use recently, by a shooting pal. I thought they were awful, and they had a kick like a Donkey. He took the remaining 350 back and swapped them for somethinga bit nicer to shoot. Funny how different cartridges perform in different guns. I have used a lot of Hull Superfarts in both plastic and fibre, along with F Blues. People complain about the Hull being 'punchy', but I do not notice any difference in the recoil between those and F Blues.

The f blues only seem to come is plastic. Am I wrong? Sorry for another stupid question but I've heard plastic wads can cause issues when it comes to plastic fouling in the barrel and can be problematic trying to remove. Is this true?

I was given a box of Lightspeed to use recently, by a shooting pal. I thought they were awful, and they had a kick like a Donkey. He took the remaining 350 back and swapped them for somethinga bit nicer to shoot. Funny how different cartridges perform in different guns. I have used a lot of Hull Superfarts in both plastic and fibre, along with F Blues. People complain about the Hull being 'punchy', but I do not notice any difference in the recoil between those and F Blues.
I use the Superfast's in plastic and fibre and never have any issues with punchiness.
F-Blu's are nice, as are the Gamebore Evo's.
Yes plastic can take a little more cleaning of the barrels but it's not so hard or long to get them back to standard.
I often wonder about the expensive cartridges but I've never felt like I missed a clay due to the cartridge.
Find something that suits your shoulder and wallet and go with it.

Power Blue are IMHO quite thumpy . I won’t use them . At your stage of the game just shoot the lowest cost club cartridges 28gm 7.5 or 8 . Eley First are nice shoot all day long cartridges , I use Eley Olympic blues 7.5 for everything , both are cheaper than Power Blue
The f blues only seem to come is plastic. Am I wrong? Sorry for another stupid question but I've heard plastic wads can cause issues when it comes to plastic fouling in the barrel and can be problematic trying to remove. Is this true?
plastic fouling is only as problematic as your cleaning regime , something is going to stick to your barrels be it plastic , or it will be lead if you shoot ‘ fibre’ wadded cartridges . Both will easily clean up with a bit of elbow grease . Using a piece of green pan scrub in your cleaning jag is a cheap and easy method , run the barrels through with a wet patch using your solvent of choice , then scrub .

Think your correct Fblues are only available as 7.5 plas wad not fibre .

Just remember Fiocchi are down a size so a 7.5 is UK 8 etc. The FBlu 7.5 (thus UK 8) 24g is a great cartridge.

THIS IS WRONG - THEY ARE OK 7s when Fiocchi 7.5s

I've not have any problem with fouling - All mine are chrome lined just is case that's a factor.

Edited to correct the mistake pointed out by MPMilo.

Last edited:
Just remember Fiocchi are down a size so a 7.5 is UK 8 etc. The FBlu 7.5 (thus UK 8) 24g is a great cartridge.

I've not have any problem with fouling - All mine are chrome lined just is case that's a factoI
I thought Fiocchi F blacks 8.5 were english 8 2.2mm and F blu 7.5 is an english 7 2.4mm unless they have changed them.

MPMilo - I think you are right 7.5 is 7 etc. Apologies.

I recall now someone getting some 6s thinking they would be OK for competitions when they are 5.5 !!!

Just checked mine and the are all 7.5 24g & 28g.

Does anyone remember Ed Solomons shooting an extreme shoot with Comp X and I think they were 21g and doing extremely well? Can’t remember when or where.

Yes, you are right. F Blues in plastic. It's the Hull Superfarts I have in both plastic and fibre. Just a word about storage, try and store cartridges inside at around normal temperatures. Some of the worst fouling, including flakes of powder, that I have seen, have been caused by cartridges stored where the range of temperatures is too varied.

Latest posts

Back