Clay shooting in Newcastle/Northumberland

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will1981

Hello everyone,

For my last birthday I got a voucher for clay pigeon shooting. I went along and absolutely loved it! I've been clay shooting for a few months and have just bought my own shotgun. The problem is I'm ready to shoot without my instructor now, but don't have any friends locally who are interested in the sport! 

Just wondered if anybody on here fancies a beginner

tagging along with them in the Newcastle/Northumberland area? Any help would be much appreciated if so. 

Thanks,

Will

HI Will.

I'm in the same boat as you. I started about 4 months ago but am still waiting for my licence. I just shot my first proper round of Sporting today and got 52/80 which I was disappointed with! I'm having lessons every other weekend with my instructor and getting to the point where I can't wait for my licence so I can shoot more often. The only problem I have is that none of my friends are interested in clay pigeon shooting and have no one to hook up with (ideally a beginer like me). Unfortunately, I'm in Worcestershire so it would be a long trek to Newcastle to meet up! Good luck though.

...I was also born in 1981!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Worcestershire, 

If neither of us have any mates who are interested, we're probably having mid-life crises!

Well done on the 52! I'd be really pleased with that.

I keep meaning to go to my local shooting ground, but because I'd be by myself I've been putting it off a bit. 

Hi Will 

we get up to Thimbleby on a Sunday once a month and your more than welcome to join us, or Marne barracks both good shoots.

PMG

trust me both of you.

get to your local ground I absolutely guarantee that within thirty minutes you will have made new friends and be invited to join them in a round. Trust me.

I was exactly like you I 1986 and within five minutes I had met half a dozen friends for life, some unfortunately passed away but some remain friends to this day, even that balltrap bloke ?

I say again, trust me on this shooters are the friendliest bunch you will ever meet and only too pleased to befriend and help newcomers.

trust me both of you.

get to your local ground I absolutely guarantee that within thirty minutes you will have made new friends and be invited to join them in a round. Trust me.

I was exactly like you I 1986 and within five minutes I had met half a dozen friends for life, some unfortunately passed away but some remain friends to this day, even that balltrap bloke ?

I say again, trust me on this shooters are the friendliest bunch you will ever meet and only too pleased to befriend and help newcomers.
Thanks for the advice. You're right, the people I've met whilst having lessons at Throckmorton have all been friendly, especially the owner who made me feel very welcome.  My instructor was saying she'd spoke to a group who were happy for me to tag along, which is good but it would be nice to go round with a fellow novice and learn together.

you will meet novice and experience at any ground. Just turn up and put your friendly face on.

trust me on this

Thanks for the advice, ips. Guess I should just bite the bullet! Excuse the pun......

PMG, that would be great, thank you. When are you next going? 

Thanks for the advice, ips. Guess I should just bite the bullet! Excuse the pun......

PMG, that would be great, thank you. When are you next going? 
Hopefully next Sunday,will let you know.

Have you tried Spennymoor CTC? I shoot up there twice a week (Wed evening and Sunday Morning) and it's a good bit nearer than Thimbleby. That said there are plenty of grounds around if you know where to look.

Latest posts

Back