Energy drinks

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwpzx9r

Anybody use energy drinks while they are shooting? I am doing a lot of work in the garden just now and find that I am just a wee bit tired sometimes especially in the early morning and afternoon. I wonder about these energy drinks for a bit of a boost before the start of a competition for example but I would not want to use them if they are too much or just don't help. Of course the easy solution is be a lazy git and don't plant out the vegs ... but then we will starve later in the year :cry:

yes

aldi version of red bull. Usually have one mid morning, shooting, beating, loading. Not sure if they do anything or if its placebo but they are refreshing imo

Going to buy some and give them a try Ian... think I will go for red Bull, I should then be able to fly up and shoot the flip'n targets :lol:  Although I have heard of drinks that come in tablet form that are dissolved in water they look a bit like and orange juice ever tried them?

Last edited by a moderator:
you will have wings john ?

yes I tried the tablet ones but wasn't that keen.

I drink still Lucozade sport when shooting. 

Not too sugary and works well. 

But only when on offer at the supermarket, never pay £2.00 a bottle I paid £1.75 for four last night

George Digweed has a energy drink which he consumes when competing,don't know if George is a good advert for health drinks.

not sure how true but I heard that cyclists drink flat coke

I do a lot of saltwater flyfishing in hot places and in the past have suffered with energy crashes thru' heat exhaustion.

For the last few years I have used rehydration tablets/sachets (dissolved in water) in the early afternoon and also taken an energy bar/gel sachet with me every day. Refuelling the body in the middle of the day has made a huge difference. 

Also bear in mind that you can drink too much water and actually flush the nutrients out of your system (heavy sweating has a similar effect)  - hence the rehydration powders in water.

Funny this should come up i never did until last weekend and when i was shooting my first line i felt tired and weak. Not majorly but enough to notice it. I dropped 2 birds in that house . So when i was finished i went to the club house and got some sugery things to perk me up. Some coke a bar and a sweet cup of coffee . My mind totally sharpened up and i didnt miss any out of the next 75 . I will definately be doing it this weekend before and during the shoot. Get some lucozade or something . Placebo effect or not if it works again like that il take it :)

Going to buy some and give them a try Ian... think I will go for red Bull, I should then be able to fly up and shoot the flip'n targets :lol:  Although I have heard of drinks that come in tablet form that are dissolved in water they look a bit like and orange juice ever tried them?
Berocca is the drink i think you are on about - My mrs has one every morning before work she loves them. I dont think energy drinks are as good as everyone thinks i just prefer a bottle of coke and that normally does the trick - Stay away from Monster Energy Drinks

What a load of absolute garbage,

its clay shooting not a track event 

everyone knows the only thing needed before shooting is a nutritious breakfast consisting of 

eggs bacon sausage black pudding beans etc 

What a load of absolute garbage,

its clay shooting not a track event 

everyone knows the only thing needed before shooting is a nutritious breakfast consisting of 

eggs bacon sausage black pudding beans etc 
I would prefer the Breaky any day :D

The problem with red bull and other caffine drinks  is they "spike" quickly, and then energy dips, better off with lucozade, berrocca, and fruit/nut energy bars,, big thing is to stay hydrated,you need to `pee` every hour or so ! plenty of water.

Ask a cardiologist what they think of the caffiene and taurine laced drinks....

Lucozade or isostar are far better and safer, and they dont screw your heart up....

Nip into Decathalon, they carry isostar and the energy bars etc...   and a lot cheaper than here....

Tea or a bottle of water. Energy drinks - anything to con the public out of its money

I do a lot of saltwater flyfishing in hot places and in the past have suffered with energy crashes thru' heat exhaustion.

For the last few years I have used rehydration tablets/sachets (dissolved in water) in the early afternoon and also taken an energy bar/gel sachet with me every day. Refuelling the body in the middle of the day has made a huge difference. 

Also bear in mind that you can drink too much water and actually flush the nutrients out of your system (heavy sweating has a similar effect)  - hence the rehydration powders in water.
So where do you buy the rehydration sachets? I think I may give this a bash as to be perfectly honest my nutrition is all over the place. I tend to eat only one meal a day which is at about 7.30 in the evening it is a good meal though. I don't take breakfast but at noon I sometimes have a sandwich with some tea depending on what I am working at. I will drink pots of tea during the average day though.

I was out at a comp last weekend and shot quite badly but after I sat down and looked at what I had done I thought it could have been down to fatigue. I got up at about 5.30 am, which because of the lose of the hour was actually 4.30 am then had a shower and then thought I had to eat something so I had a bowl of muesli and a cuppa. I then drove to the shoot which was a two hour drive then shot the comp. Over the course of the day I only ate four biscuits and a banana and drank a flask of tea even though I had plenty of food I did not feel hungry but I was very drowsy driving home... had to stop for a nap my eye lips fell like they had weights on them  :lol:  

After receiving a bit of advice and now making this post I have decided to try and change my eating pattern but it is a bit difficult when you have a routine which has been the same for a while. But these energy drinks could be a good thing too.

My daughter use to swim competitively and keeping hydrated during each 2 hour training session was very important. She could never get away with any of the Lucozade drinks as they were to sugary, she ended up with stomach pains and cramps. We use to use SiS science in sport, originally developed for cyclists. 

There's quite a number of studies that show that unless your are an endurance athlete, water is all you need.

I never could see any difference in her performance due to a drink in over 10 years of swimming.

Keep hydrated and working hard is all that's needed. 

I always have plenty of water to drink mainly due to summer time temperatures in the high 30's I can get through about three litres in a two or three hours on hot days.

Latest posts

Back