Franchi harrier sporting

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Whyatt

Hi fellow shooters,

Well went and did it yesterday, brought my first gun, and yes I know after lots of advice, discussions etc etc all my bank manager could allow me to purchase was a franchi harrier sporting 30" over and under.

I have to admit, after training with a browning,beretta I gotta say it feels so well balanced, lighter and feels smooth through its actions.

Now for the main bit, do any of you guys and gals, have any reviews,comments etc etc regarding this gun, as I'm beginning to feel their not everyone's cup of tea, ok they don't have a popular name on the side, but is it true that sometimes you pay more for a name than how the gun actually feels and shoots?

Regards

Awaiting comments and opinions .

As a total newbie what I say is probably wrong but, if you like it and works for you then who cares, would just say that once you've got  mounting sorted ideally with an instructor to keep you right, and consistent, then get it fitted properly.  Yes it costs money but will save a lot of problems in the long run.

Where you can improve and save money is to practice by dry mounting (oooer missus) in front of a mirror, can get boring but costs nothing and you can do it at home.

Thanks for that fella and I've been with an instructor lady few weeks and done the whole mounting thing and can't believe how good it feels to mount compared to the Brownings I've been using .

As a total newbie what I say is probably wrong but, if you like it and works for you then who cares, would just say that once you've got  mounting sorted ideally with an instructor to keep you right, and consistent, then get it fitted properly.  Yes it costs money but will save a lot of problems in the long run.

Where you can improve and save money is to practice by dry mounting (oooer missus) in front of a mirror, can get boring but costs nothing and you can do it at home.
+1

From an old hand on here ...I agree with the newbie 100%

It is your gun....you liked it.....you bought it....now enjoy shooting it. You may have it for a long time or a short time....so enjoy it and 'learn' what you like about it whilst shooting it........then...... if you ever look to change in the future....you will have a clear idea of what you like :wink:

Have fun.

A mate of mine has a Franchi Barrage trap gun, made in the 1970's or early 80's. He's had it since about 85 I think. It's a really nice gun and he will not part with it even though he rarely shoots these days. Franchi are not well known in this country, but as far as I know they are now owned by Beretta. Never really heard anything bad about them and those that own them seem to have no real issues with them either. If you like the gun and shoot it well then keep it, and take no notice if anyone who tries to get you to shoot something else mate!

What tinker says +1

i will add that very rarely does a gun miss a target and never because of its value / cost or name, with a few obvious exceptions (for instance poor gun fit) almost always the miss is caused by the shooter. Practice is the key so on that basis new shooters (excepting those that are minted) would be well advised to spend only what they can afford on a gun that they like and the rest on a big pallet of cartridges.

. now your talking . currently practising my gun mount more and more and it's started to flow fairly natural and really like this gun, it just feels prefect.

In that case its the absolute correct gun for you end of. Gun fit and feel is THE main thing everything else is just vanity in many respects. I shot best with a relatively cheap parker hale in the 80s but then became blinded by expensive guns with the belief that they must be better because they cost more, guess what that is not always the case.

Enjoy and have pride of ownership in your new gun keep it clean and well lubricated and it will last a lifetime. Oh and take my advice if you ever have the urge to buy another, if you can keep this one as well as you will never lose money on it and in 20 years or whatever its nice to be able to still have your first gun

Good guns, you may find as you progress you start to feel more comfortable with a heavier gun.

Give it a couple of years before you start looking elsewhere. It sounds like it fits you well which is far more important than the name on the side.

Latest posts

Back