Geek Fest

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skeet UK

Virtual Private Network - correct. Sorry for the tech derail, some of us cannot help ourselves.
Should we start talking about my test rig with Phase Change Cooling system for the CPU?

Yep...mention anything about ADSL, SDSL or VDSL to me and that could start a long conversation, especially if you have issues...or if you mention Guitars...fixing/building them, not playing them...or Astro Physics (not that I know much, but I am interested).

There...now you know what to avoid! :D

On Topic...I like Recoil Reduction...did I mention that?

Last edited by a moderator:
While we are on puters, any idea why mine won't let me watch HD for more than a minute before it shuts itself down?

While we are on puters, any idea why mine won't let me watch HD for more than a minute before it shuts itself down?
Via what, iPlayer etc?

Watching HD is covered by two things, the Graphics card in the computer and some of it by the Processor (CPU). Potentially, watching HD may be too much for the Graphics Card (GPU). Or, if the computer is doing too many other things (other programs) too much for the CPU as well. This may lead to over heating or other errors. It could also be that your Power Supply (PSU) cannot handle the demand for power from all of the above and so shuts down, or because the computer is getting low power, it shuts off due to RAM issues etc.

Also, the higher the resolution you run at on your monitor, the more demand you have on the GPU.

Is it a PC or Laptop and any details of it? You can right click on My Computer and select Properties and it will tell you what CPU RAM etc are installed.

It's a pc, I'll get the details later.

It turns off when I watch video via vlc or any player, even when I have only just booted up and have no other program's running. This is a fairly recent problem, it didn't used to do it.

It's a pc, I'll get the details later.

It turns off when I watch video via vlc or any player, even when I have only just booted up and have no other program's running. This is a fairly recent problem, it didn't used to do it.
Is this streaming or playing from a file?

Go in and check that the fan on your GPU is working and free of dust. When you request HD, the GPU knows it will heat up so the fan will spin or spin faster.

Also go and have a clean up inside of all the dust, fluff, crisp packets etc that collect inside the PC and fans.

From a file on the pc. It's one of these Acer all in one jobbies.

Properties:

Processor: intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33 GHz

Installed RAM 4.00 GB

Well that should be alright, blimey!

How old is it?

Do you notice the fan sound getting louder when you run an HD film? If you can get in it to have a nose, do but the problems above would be my first starting point. Overheating is a major cause of shut downs.

Under warranty?

Well that should be alright, blimey!

How old is it?

Do you notice the fan sound getting louder when you run an HD film? If you can get in it to have a nose, do but the problems above would be my first starting point. Overheating is a major cause of shut downs.

Under warranty?
Try putting all this unrelated shyte in a PM....or start a thread on it!

Back