Gun Cleaning

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redders

I wondered what products everyone chooses to clean their guns with!

Which Bore Cleaner is best for removing plastic fouling?

Which lubricant is best for bearing surfaces? (I currently use Tetra Gun Grease)

After firing a number of chokes, how is the easiest way to clean them all? Do I fit them one after the other to the gun and clean them in situ or is there an easier way?

Redders

Napier gun cleaner/lubricant. All in one in aerosol.

Small amount of Napier (white) grease on hinge pins in action and on choke threads after cleaning.

That'll sort it.

only one product for me and that's Froglube, a 4oz bottle of Froglube CLP will clean,lube & protect your guns for a couple of seasons, FL will remove the plastic and lead marks and prevent them from building up again, you can buy it in UK from www.Xperttacttiacal.com these guys sponsor me so Please mention my name ?

thanks

Ian Stewart 

I have a really old cleaning kit ("borrowed" from my dad) that I use just after shooting my last round of the day (I find it easiest to clean the gun then, just after the barrels have cooled). Clean out the barrels with rods/brushes. Dab a little oil onto the fluffy fitting for the rod (I use synthetic gearbox oil I had left over from when I had a motoX bike) to oil the barrels. And for grease (every so often, after every 5 or 6 shoots, or when parts are looking a little dry), I use the stuff you use for SDS drills, nice and cheap. A bit of the gear oil onto a rag to wipe finger prints off the barrels & action.

Havent ever bought cleaning products from a shop. Ive never had any stains/build-ups I couldnt take off with dry brushes or oily rag.

Hi Redders,

I also use gearbox oil (as Bob above) to protect the barrels (inside and out) after cleaning. I find the rods and brushes work well and occasionally use a small amount of WD40 or Napier cleaner (if you use WD40 remember to completely remove it and protect the surface with something that isn't water based). I only shoot fibre wads, so plastic fouling isn't an issue.

I lubricate the bearing surfaces and choke threads with Ramanol Advanced white marine grease. It's designed for use in North Sea trawlers and has the best temperature, pressure and wash-off resistance properties of anything else I've found. It's also not expensive at around £20 for a 500g tub, which will probably last a lifetime.

I've cleaned multiple choke tubes out of the gun using a brush on the end of a single rod and simply held the choke tube in my hand, though this may be more difficult with shorter choke tubes.

All the best,

WIL

Cleaning rods and brushes are from the 19th century, full length barell mop are the future. I have used one for about 17yrs barrels are as new. Oil, I just use beretta oil and some youngs 303 sprayed over action and barell to clean and protect. Takes me 5 mins if that to clean gun after every shoot, remove ejectors and clean them twice a year ish.

Job done.

Cleaning rods and brushes are from the 19th century, full length barell mop are the future. I have used one for about 17yrs barrels are as new. Oil, I just use beretta oil and some youngs 303 sprayed over action and barell to clean and protect. Takes me 5 mins if that to clean gun after every shoot, remove ejectors and clean them twice a year ish.

Job done.
blimey Ian, does that mop get rid of lead and plastic fowling? What do you spray into the tubes before you use it?

Yes comes up shiney and new, dont spray anything.

Yes comes up shiney and new, dont spray anything.
What make is that magic mop Ian? I will have to try one!!! I always find those streaks of plastic fouling are the hardest things to remove,but if your mop does it then I really must get one!!

Last edited by a moderator:
What make is that magic mop Ian? I will have to try one!!! I always find those streaks of plastic fouling are the hardest things to remove,but if your mop does it then I really must get one!!
These are called Paradox Gun Cleaners - expect to pay between £25 & £30

www.fawcettsonline.com/products/Paradox-gun-cleaner.

Paradox gun cleaner

PRICE £28.95 (including tax)

Product Description
The famouse Paradox cleaning tool, a one shot cleaning tool for rapid cleaning of your gun. Cleans and oils in one easy operation, oil mop included.  

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the one, think mine is a napier or something but that pic is the same. Highly recommend one.

Your welcome.

Forgot to say the use of full mop instead of those dirty brushes and oily rags mucking up your Mrs kitchen is also good for a long and happy marriage. :)

Your welcome.

Forgot to say the use of full mop instead of those dirty brushes and oily rags mucking up your Mrs kitchen is also good for a long and happy marriage. :)
Bloody hell Ian it would take a lot more than that in my case!!!!

Your welcome.

Kitchen??

I clean my gun in the lounge.  Don't want it getting non of that mucky 'food' stuff on it  :crazy:

Anyway, Legia and bronze brush works for me........ maybe I don't put enough cartridges through it....hmmmm...... I'll just go and tell the missus that I need to shoot more........tin hat's in here somewhere.....

The lounge, God your brave phil, she would kill me

Mine would kill me if I muckied the kitchen, so I put a mat down, settle in front of the wood burner and clean away.  

Nice and theraputic, G&T by the side, job done!

Latest posts

Back