Gunsite Sporting Clays - 22nd April

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep,not a very inspiring shoot,perhaps i was expecting too much after shooting Upavon where sean used to set the targets.I started on same stand as matt, first one on left as you left signing in tent, a flat going away teal followed by a r-l face on crosser, managed a straight,went round to left fast,steep rising quart away and a l-r face on crosser disapearing behind tree,dropped one going away, down opposite to the r-l louper and the l-r crosser, killed all loupers dropped 2 of the crossers which were varying a fair bit in the wind, on to the 2 incoming crows, got a straight, next black quart away r-l followed by orange l-r missed 1 of each. Then missed next one out and up to the very close g, away and the teal,missed my last teal over top, up to rabbit stand in corner straighted that, back down to stand in corner l-r louper/ l-r crosser, straight. over to stand in middle of shoot r-l louper and a diving down g away bird dropped a g away bird, and to finish the 10-15 foot rabbit stand managed a straight, had one about 8-10 foot on here went through the puddle which slowed it right up, just managed to slow the gun up enough,finished on 92, no idea if this was enough to clinch it, i doubt it. ouh and i missed a mini

Last edited by a moderator:
That feels like pretty good shooting round there Tony - nice work.

Clever, "Personally I will be going to Weston or Newbold instead if it clashes in the next few months"

Exactly what I was saying to Robo, wouldnt pass up Wylye, Weston, Westfield, Newbold to get to it but I will definitely give it another go in the future. A little more variety would be nice, just have to wait and see how it goes. Rome wasnt built in a day and would be unfair to dismiss it after its first ever reg shoot. Not the rolling fields of Upavon like I expected but you can only work with the ground you have.

My lad finished on 56 which he was a bit disillusioned with but there were some trickey targets there and gun start position was quite critical, i could see before he shot he was gonna miss, but hey ho it,s a learng curve for us all

I'd go back as I wouldn't want to judge all their future shoots on this first one, plus it's only 35-40 mins up the A4 for me.

Score-wise one to forget, most likely a discard. I was a bit hungover and that's my only excuse.

My lad finished on 56 which he was a bit disillusioned with but there were some trickey targets there and gun start position was quite critical, i could see before he shot he was gonna miss, but hey ho it,s a learng curve for us all
thought he looked a bit down .....make him smile ....tell him I shot 76 :mellow:

Spot on with the hold points, a lot of targets you had to hold out there and let it come to you else it was easy to flash through it :(

Well shot Tony, good to see you and your lad today.

92 is the highest score I know of and will hopefully take HG which would be well deserved on that course!!

Well shot!! I dropped 8 across the first 2 stands..

Jon.

I shot like a one-armed blind man, but I loved it! Might even take it up in the future...... ;)

Great to meet some new (to me) faces, and I'm looking forward to Wylye next week - might even talk Fuz and Robo into a double-header...! :p

How's the fumes Matt??

Wow...in a small window of shooting reg comps it amazes me how different people see the same set-up quite differently and score accordingly. I arrived from Weston Wood with 10 min to spare, feeling like Matt does now, having shot a 48, where a reasonable start (33/48) was followed by a horrid finish (15/52). Confidence low and temper short I carded a 57 and felt that it was another rubbish score (now I don't feel so bad!) and that on a "going" day I would have been 70+. Other than the infamous rabbit where I struggled to hit 1, I felt that the targets were similar to many I had practiced on with Richard at OLSS to work on specific technical points. So as a novice there was a warm feeling of familiarity that, had my head been screwed on right (and maybe I hadn't shot up the A34 first), I would have had a great day.

Getting absolutely drenched with 4 stands to go isn't ever going to make you fall in love with a place at first sight, nor is arriving with the echoes of a recent crap score in your head, but I thought the place felt kind of different in a good way (a bit like Windrush is kind of different). Getting in and out was relatively easy and kind on the car suspension, I thought the scorers were friendly, helpful and efficient, and that for a first time out the venue did pretty well. I don't have anywhere near enough experience to offer a qualified view on the target setting and obviously some feel this is an issue. All I can say is that, as a novice, I didn't find it intimidating, there was an element of originality and while not quite matching Mr Lovatt's grandiose productiions, I enjoyed it!

I shot like a one-armed blind man, but I loved it! Might even take it up in the future...... ;)

Great to meet some new (to me) faces, and I'm looking forward to Wylye next week - might even talk Fuz and Robo into a double-header...! :p

How's the fumes Matt??
no talking into needed, just need a bit of help from mother nature ;)

Jesus, die already :.: you really need a bigger engine if its taking this long :.: :.:

Latest posts

Back