Hello Everyone

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Gaz

Hello fellow shooters,

Name here is garry, i'm based in Worcester and have just taken up the sport of clay pidgeon shooting.

I have had a taster session down at Ian Coley's Shooting School and enrolled in a series of lessons in readiness for my ticket, which I believe coluld take sometime in this part of the world.

Thank you Sian.

I'm trying to get as much shooting practise in as I can whilst my ticket is being processed. Lessons, have a go sessions etc.
It's certainly addictive and it's not a bad idea to get the basics and safety sorted.

Hi Garry.

I too am new to the sport and am also awaiting my licence from West Mercia police. I applied in July when the website said 90 days, it's since gone up to 6 months waiting time! I'm near Evesham, so if you're looking for another local novice to go shooting with, get in touch.

If you're looking for a good instructor at very prices, you should get in touch with Throckmorton shooting ground. An hour costs me £70 and that's with 100 clays and cart's. They only have Sporting now due to some complaints from the neighboring airfield but it seems like a decent, informal ground (not that I have much to compare it to).

Hi Garry.

I too am new to the sport and am also awaiting my licence from West Mercia police. I applied in July when the website said 90 days, it's since gone up to 6 months waiting time! I'm near Evesham, so if you're looking for another local novice to go shooting with, get in touch.

If you're looking for a good instructor at very prices, you should get in touch with Throckmorton shooting ground. An hour costs me £70 and that's with 100 clays and cart's. They only have Sporting now due to some complaints from the neighboring airfield but it seems like a decent, informal ground (not that I have much to compare it to).
Hi Thomas,

Your a little a head of me on the ticket application. Have West Mercia been in touch yet?

Ive had a few lessons at both Ian Coley's Cheltenham and locally at South Worcestershire Shooting Ground near Upton on Severn. 

Im cross eye dominate and therefore shooting is not straight forward. I began shooting right and closing my dominant left eye which worked but wasn't going to be a long term solution. I'm now shooting off my left shoulder with both eyes open. 

Im trying as many guns as I can to see which ones I like the feel of and trying to see if they are available as a left or can be modified. 

Waiting on a ticket is very frustrating and no sign of it getting better anytime soon. 

My tutor in Worcester charges £58 plus cartridges me the setup is very good. Check out there web site. Various stands, high towers, compac and deadicated practice field.

im slowing down my shooting in up to Christmas as I'm very busy for the next few months. And I'm only free on Saturdays until after Christmas. 

I hope you get your ticket sooner than later and when I'm back in the saddle I'll give you a shout

regards Garry

Hi Thomas,

Your a little a head of me on the ticket application. Have West Mercia been in touch yet?

Ive had a few lessons at both Ian Coley's Cheltenham and locally at South Worcestershire Shooting Ground near Upton on Severn. 

Im cross eye dominate and therefore shooting is not straight forward. I began shooting right and closing my dominant left eye which worked but wasn't going to be a long term solution. I'm now shooting off my left shoulder with both eyes open. 

Im trying as many guns as I can to see which ones I like the feel of and trying to see if they are available as a left or can be modified. 

Waiting on a ticket is very frustrating and no sign of it getting better anytime soon. 

My tutor in Worcester charges £58 plus cartridges me the setup is very good. Check out there web site. Various stands, high towers, compac and deadicated practice field.

im slowing down my shooting in up to Christmas as I'm very busy for the next few months. And I'm only free on Saturdays until after Christmas. 

I hope you get your ticket sooner than later and when I'm back in the saddle I'll give you a shout

regards Garry
West Mercia haven't been in touch yet. I emailed them a couple of times and they never replied. They were quick to cash the cheque though!

I struggled with eye dominance too. It seems I didn't have a dominant eye, I could sort of control which I want to be dominant but have been trying to force my right eye to be in charge so I can shoot from my right shoulder.

I've only ever shot my instructor's Miroku which seems fine but I have nothing to compare it to. I really like the look of the Beretta 690 Black Edition but I'd want to try one first. The other thing is I'm a bit of a wood freak, I love the exhibition and grade 5 walnut stocks which the 690 doesn't have and the 692 is probably too expensive for my first gun. If I ever get good, and can justify the money, I like the look of the DT11.

£58 for a lesson is great, some places I looked at before Throckmorton wanted £90 plus clays and cartridges for an hour.

I'm pretty happy with my current instructor so I'll stick with her, but when/if I get my licence I definitely want to check out both Ian Coley and South Worcestershire.

It would be great to go shooting with you in the new year if you're up for it (if we ever get our licences). None of my friends are interested in clay pigeon shooting and everyone at Throckmorton seems to be an experienced shooter and it would be nice to learn the sport with a fellow novice.

Cheers, Tom