Hull Sporting 100 paint issue

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone had any issues with the green writing on the Hull Sporting100 coming off and ending up on the gun ? I had noticed on occasion before green specs around the breech, today it has ended up somewhere more unfortunate. My recently refinished wood is now adorned with green speckles which on first look appears to quit difficult to remove besides rubbing the top layer of finish away which I wouldn’t be confident or happy in doing myself. Noticed today after getting rained on while on the last stand. 100% wasn’t there last week. Not impressed at all 😔.

Anyone had any issues with the green writing on the Hull Sporting100 coming off and ending up on the gun ? I had noticed on occasion before green specs around the breech, today it has ended up somewhere more unfortunate. My recently refinished wood is now adorned with green speckles which on first look appears to quit difficult to remove besides rubbing the top layer of finish away which I wouldn’t be confident or happy in doing myself. Noticed today after getting rained on while on the last stand. 100% wasn’t there last week. Not impressed at all 😔.
A mate of mine has very recently had this issue resulting in damaged woodwork to his gun. Historically my wife and I also had similar issues using Hull Sporting 100. If you want to PM me your e-mail address, I will pass it on to my mate and maybe you can do a combined approach to Hull.

A mate of mine has very recently had this issue resulting in damaged woodwork to his gun. Historically my wife and I also had similar issues using Hull Sporting 100. If you want to PM me your e-mail address, I will pass it on to my mate and maybe you can do a combined approach to Hull.
I’m gutted to be honest as I said I have for some time noticed it coming off as I had seen it on the breech face but that always seemed to be dry. Like a powder. But today it’s fused to my woodwork. Also the Mrs 50 odd years old Browning B25 we payed a couple of hundred quid for appears unharmed 😂

Sorry forgot to add I have already contacted Hull but it would be interesting to see how many people are have the issue. As I said I have noticed the dust/paint/coating whatever it actually is before but it’s always seemed dry like you could blow it off. I can only assume with the humidity it’s somehow affixed itself. The odd thing was it’s clearly been going from hand to forend but there was absolutely none on my hand when I noticed and checked. So it clearly doesn’t stick to people just to my achingly beautiful (in my opinion) freshly oil finished Krieghoff.

Just an observation but wonder if the ink now being used is water based.
Maybe ? Although the transferred material does seam to be sharp cornered as if it’s came off dry and attached itself to the gun. I am going to have a little go at removing some later with some different methods starting with water 🤞🏻 hopefully that will do but it does appear to rather keen on staying on my gun. Anyone have any good ideas on how I can remove it I am all ears and very grateful ☺️

I havent shot those catridges for about 2 years , but when I did the green printing always came off. Never had any woodwork problems with it ,but was a pain to get of the action.

Hi YCS - Before you try sanding, try diluting a bit of make-up remover. Wet cloth and rub. Very diluted at first and then adding to build strength to the point where it removes the green but hopefully not the finish on your stock.

I havent shot those catridges for about 2 years , but when I did the green printing always came off. Never had any woodwork problems with it ,but was a pain to get of the action.
I hadn’t had any issues prior to today I had noticed the green coming off on occasion but it was never stuck to anything. It’s a shame because they are a very good cartridge for their price point. To be fair once I do get the issue sorted I’m going to get some acetone or similar and take the printing off the others as I use them and then move onto something else. I have recently got another thou though so will be shooting these for a good while yet. Just leaves a bit of a sour taste at the minute. I will wait to hear what Hull come back with previously they have been good to deal with but I’m not sure 🤔 what will come of this.

Hi YCS - Before you try sanding, try diluting a bit of make-up remover. Wet cloth and rub. Very diluted at first and then adding to build strength to the point where it removes the green but hopefully not the finish on your stock.
Cheers for the tip I’m going to go through and see how far I have to go in terms of ferocity of fluid. Also going to drop my wood guy a message see what he comes back with.

Might be worth going Halfords or similar and buying a ‘ clay bar’ from the car detailing section . They’re used for pulling contamination off car paint without damage I’ve used them to get stuff off my truck’s paint that normal methods wouldn’t shift . You might need to lubricate it with a drop of soapy water . It certainly won’t damage the stock .

Might be worth going Halfords or similar and buying a ‘ clay bar’ from the car detailing section . They’re used for pulling contamination off car paint without damage I’ve used them to get stuff off my truck’s paint that normal methods wouldn’t shift . You might need to lubricate it with a drop of soapy water . It certainly won’t damage the stock .
Good shout too 👍🏼 getting quite into car detailing at the minute so any excuse to get more things 😂 obviously would be better under different circumstances

I reckon this could be a very good idea.
I’d think long and hard before I started wiping liquids over a lovely oiled stock.

Had a Quick Look in the next box on from what I shot yesterday in the slab and these are the top 4 cartridges. Under any other circumstances I wouldn’t care at all. There are some things I require in a cartridge and having a good quality printing certainly isn’t one of them but this is for want of a better expression piss poor. IMG_7093.jpegIMG_7092.jpegIMG_7091.jpeg

I expect the printing process was fine but its the ink that is the issue. I suspect it has a 'setting' compound and there not enough.

If you rub it does it come off

I'm leaving the above sentence open to the obvious !!!

I expect the printing process was fine but its the ink that is the issue. I suspect it has a 'setting' compound and there not enough.

If you rub it does it come off

I'm leaving the above sentence open to the obvious !!!
It’s more stuck to the gun than the cartridge unfortunately. The odd thing is there’s a fair amount of finger prints on the “brass” part of the case that are not mine which means they either know about the issues cos a human being has seen them and touched them or the machines have fingers 😝

• Haha
Reactions: SBL
I hadn’t had any issues prior to today I had noticed the green coming off on occasion but it was never stuck to anything. It’s a shame because they are a very good cartridge for their price point. To be fair once I do get the issue sorted I’m going to get some acetone or similar and take the printing off the others as I use them and then move onto something else. I have recently got another thou though so will be shooting these for a good while yet.

You would seriously consider wiping paint off of more than a thousand cartridges by hand? If it comes off of the cartridges by cleaning, it should come off of your stock too..

So first I'd see about cleaning the stock, and if it comes off with either the clay bar or diluted make-up remover, I'd take a packet of wet wipes in my shooting bag. Do let us know whether your stock cleans up - and for the sake of scientific interest, try all of the proposed methods and post results?

Back