Hull Sporting 100 paint issue

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suspect (without knowledge) that it's adhered due to oil and not bonding through the ink itself.
Clay bar (as already mentioned) or even some simple childrens plasticine may show the answer.
Yes I will give them a go. The thing is though, the chap who did the refinishing of the gun did warn me off using any kind of spray oil on the stock i.e legia spray etc as they contain chemicals that would break down the oil finish he had applied so iv been following his advice. The only thing it’s had is a couple of coats of Liberon Clear Black Bison Polish as it was what I was advised to use so the stock wasn’t oily nor sticky. It is certainly definitely attracted to something on the wood though as it is very keen on staying.

You would seriously consider wiping paint off of more than a thousand cartridges by hand? If it comes off of the cartridges by cleaning, it should come off of your stock too..

So first I'd see about cleaning the stock, and if it comes off with either the clay bar or diluted make-up remover, I'd take a packet of wet wipes in my shooting bag. Do let us know whether your stock cleans up - and for the sake of scientific interest, try all of the proposed methods and post results?
I would honestly consider cleaning them 😂 I don’t think it would take too long and I could use something angry like acetone to get it off something I would never put near the gun.

I am going to have a go on the stock in a couple days busy working nights and with being tired etc don’t really feel up to doing the wood don’t want to make I mistake I will of course let you all know of any findings regarding the removal for future reference. I will say I did try water in the hope it would be water based and i could re hydrate it and therefore remove it as a liquid alas it was not successful.

Response from Hull this morning basically went in to firstly apologise and explain that the ink can in certain circumstances like setting up a run the ink can end up going on too thick. Also went on to explain that most ink from most manufacturers does come off but as this one is green it shows up more than the white black gold etc of other brands and lines of cartridges.

Then went on to ask if I could send on a couple of batch numbers from the boxes for there records case of further issues.

Also said I could swap out any ones I have with excessive ink (there words) with my local hull stockists.

My feelings are well this information is marginally interesting and there offer slightly helpful it doesn’t contain the information I crave which is how do I get this off my gun. As for the cartridges I have still as I said I will wipe the ink off the rest I have or see if they will let me change them for something else in there line up and pay the difference.

Atleast they do get back in touch in a fairly timely manner.

I have also forwarded on the pictures you have all seen so they can see just how bad it is and what I am working with.

i would go back to hull and ask them what type of ink they are using, oil based, water based, solvent based, etc and what they would recommend as away forward to removing it from the stock.
it sounds like they are just pushing back on the problem without offering any help to resolve your problem, their ink on your stock.

i would go back to hull and ask them what type of ink they are using, oil based, water based, solvent based, etc and what they would recommend as away forward to removing it from the stock.
it sounds like they are just pushing back on the problem without offering any help to resolve your problem, their ink on your stock.
Yes that was my thoughts too. I am marginally interested as to how and why it happened but that falls into insignificance when at the side of the question of how do I get this green stuff off 😂. I did reply and ask exactly what you have said and am awaiting a reply.

Latest posts

Back