Laser practise systems, are they any good?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a go with a laser set up few years ago good fun , at the same venue I had a go on a golf simulator which was also good fun, But  tiger woods doesn't play on a simulator any more than you could  use laser systems (unless the new US any aircraft version,  the home version is good practice  but in no way does it represent the real thing, like all training aids  they have their place . As for replacing the real thing ???? not in my life time , there is to much money to many people of influence that support it , and if all else fails we will move to this  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyq90LEZe4k. .

I have the Dryfire system and can say it is very good as a training system. In no way would I say that it could replace proper shooting - boredom would set in very quickly, but as a training system, it is excellent.

The laser dot simulates most trap or sporting disciplines in terms of the clay's speed, direction and trajectory. The system is pretty smart at knowing the lead required for the clay speed, distance and trajectory and the computer screen graphically and numerically tells you how far out you were out after every shot. If you hit the clay, the laser goes out. In this way you can use it to develop leads and sight pictures with great effect. It's also smart enough to know if you would break the clay with your chosen cartridge/choke combination for the distance you shot at. You can do whole rounds as you would find in your chosen discipline or just shoot individual targets that you are struggling with.

If, like me, you don't have a high ceilinged room to put it in you will struggle with some of the high teal or overhead shots but otherwise a 10 foot by 4 foot wall space will do.

I use it to work on what ever shots are troubling me at any given time (I mainly do sporting so it's usually all of them!)and it does really help but given the time, money and opportunity I would always rather shoot the real thing.

I have the Dryfire system and can say it is very good as a training system. In no way would I say that it could replace proper shooting - boredom would set in very quickly, but as a training system, it is excellent.

I use it to work on what ever shots are troubling me at any given time (I mainly do sporting so it's usually all of them!)and it does really help but given the time, money and opportunity I would always rather shoot the real thing.
It is with this view in mind I was thinking of one, I think the DryFire is well over priced for what it is though, plus they want an other £250.00 on top if you want the canvas background print,( bit pointless without tbh) the Arrow system gives you more or less the same practise regime for half the price, and you don't have to hitch it up to a computer , thats always been a recipe for disaster with me that has :laugh: (I once bought a JamVox, it now lives in its box on top of the wardrobe :angry: ) still, you have the DryFire and seem happy with it, thats the important thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure the Arrow system is good and it's certainly much more affordable but it cannot be compared with Dryfire. It doesn't simulate the same target types and it doesn't help you truly learn the lead and sight pictures. It is designed more to check gun fit and allow you practice tracking moving targets.

You don't need to buy the background for the Dryfire, it works well without it. I do agree though, you need fairly deep pockets to contemplate one. It doesn't replace good instruction but it does help to reduce the amount of live practice and the associated costs.

I should say, I have no association with Dryfire, I'm just happy with the product and in my case at least find it has paid for itself by reducing the amount of live practice I feel the need to do.

I'm sure the Arrow system is good and it's certainly much more affordable but it cannot be compared with Dryfire. It doesn't simulate the same target types and it doesn't help you truly learn the lead and sight pictures. It is designed more to check gun fit and allow you practice tracking moving targets.

You don't need to buy the background for the Dryfire, it works well without it. I do agree though, you need fairly deep pockets to contemplate one. It doesn't replace good instruction but it does help to reduce the amount of live practice and the associated costs.

I should say, I have no association with Dryfire, I'm just happy with the product and in my case at least find it has paid for itself by reducing the amount of live practice I feel the need to do.
Yeah, I know what your saying, its just that they have made it far to expensive than they needed too, I would have to make a huge compromise on what gun I buy to get one of those. All the add ons are also ridiculously expensive :money: pity, because it looks like a really good practise product.

Laser Clay Shooting is to shotgun sports what Matt Rurtherford is to Slimming World.

Very nice, but not the Real deal.

( Love you really Matt! Are you George & Kate's love child?)
Cheeky Monkey (albeit a rhesus sized monkey)

There are different opinions for the Dryfire. 

I am after one, it seems great (if not perfect) for the DTL, however is it any good for skeet?

I suppose it is ok if you think of station 4, however what about the rest of them?

They say you can connect it to the projector. I guess this will give a bit more realism. Does anybody has any experience with this? 

I must admit that I was tempted to buy a Dryfire a couple of years ago but then thought it was just too expensive. I was not expecting it to be anything more than good fun and something to do when the TV was poor.

I think if clay shooting was banned, I would take up ' clay archery ' or whatever it is called.

Phil

Aye, best practice is out on the clay field with a "real" gun and "real shells" shooting at "real" clays IMHO. Leave the toy guns for the kids to have fun with. :crazy:

Phil*

I agree with angelfire can't beat the real thing!! But I would say it could help beginners to train a little, but I would have enough for 3 lessons with a good coach I think that is money better spent!!

Dry fire system is really good, especially with a projector but no replacement and at £1000 expensive.

Hi,

I took up clay shooting 3 years ago and after a lot of thought, invested in the Dryfire system with the dual head set up.

I have to agree that it definitely isn't a replacement for the real thing.

However, I've found it very useful in allowing me to practice and build up my consistency. I don't believe the canvas or projector are necessary to get the best out of the system, although if you have deep enough pockets the projector with game add on could be good.

The system is programmed with quite complex ballistic information and targets can be set with variability and changing wind.

I find the system really useful to practice on all types of target (sporting, trap and skeet) and whilst it may initially seem expensive, consider the cost of cartridges, clays and the fuel to get to your local clay ground and back, it does pay for itself quite quickly, especially as it's a reasonable drive to my local clay club.  

Like I said at the start, it could never replace the real thing, but when it's cold and wet outside, I can still practice in the warm and dry. Since I live in Cumbria, I'm well versed in cold and wet!

I hope some of this is helpful!

All the best,

Wil

Nope ....but thanks for sharing your views.

Ok if you like video games I suppose.

Only one way to get better at shooting and that is to get out there and do it for real in wind rain or shine .....true story.

:wink:

What put me off most...besides the price, was the fact that you have to link it up to a computer, then configer it...and in my experience, anything I have ever had that has had to link up to a computer has usually gone Tits up in a very short space of time!, as Nicola says....get out there whatever the weather whenever you can, and do it for real.

Latest posts

Back