Legal question

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spewy

Me and my son have sgc he's 16

my daughter 14 is going to apply

i am at sea for a month then home two weeks

i have 1 cabinet for 7 guns and am the key holder

if my son wants to go clay shooting or if my daughter got sgc how is this possible?

or will they just have to wait till I'm home every time and only go twice every 6 weeks?

stewart

So, two certificate holders, one safe, one key holder?

Does your son have any guns on his certificate?

If so, this would normally mean a shared safe, which would usually mean all guns need to be detailed on each certificate (as either party, could feasibly have use of any of the guns).

Obviously, if you have other Toys (FAC), in that cabinet...he can't have shared access, so would mean another cabinet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you yes 2 fac guns in cabinet

ill get another cabinet for my fac guns

then if he wants to go to clay ground there's no problem ?

My son is 16 and has the same rights, and responsibilities, as me. He can go shooting but will need someone to take him and his gun to the site as public transport is a bit of a no no. The current situation says that 16+ can be in possession of an shotgun and ammo if a licence holder...air rifle not permitted:)!

Your daughter will have to wait for you to take her as she will need to be supervised by someone 21 or over.

I think you all need to read the Firearms act 1968 and amendments !

Minors have to be supervised by 21 year old adults even if the minor has a SGC but adults do not need a SGC to supervise.

Adult can take 16 year old son to a clay ground that holds a Section11-6 Exemption .

Let the Met know .

We are talking about a 16 year old with a SGC and a 14 year old without.

Read note 4.

I did say that the 14 year old will have to wait for her dad to take her, the original post asked if his son could go shooting alone.

My main concern is that you are saying that the 16 year old needs to be with a 21 year old when in possession of a shotgun and ammo. I do not read this, there are occasions, potentially, when my son is left alone with his gun either while shooting or at home. He is 16 and a SGC holder, are you saying this is against the law?

Read exemptions 4&5 , Under 17, it is illegal to Posess i.e. hold or handle a shotgun without being supervised by someone over 21 years of age.

Yes I know it goes on everyday at clayshoots , but I will not be the one prosecuted.

As an aside, I caught a feature on BBC radio 2 on Friday about shotgun certificate holders being as young as 8. 

The guy on from BASC spoke very well on the responsibility and training that is instilled in youngsters, as did other callers.

It was on the Jeremy Vine show about 12.30, if you try listen again.

regards

Leigh

I'm sorry to labour on the point but...which document did you read this in? Met Police guidance notes or the 2016 Guidance for Licencing?

The 2016 notes quote.

7.18 A person aged fifteen or over but under eighteen may acquire, other than by purchase or hire, shotguns to which section 2 of the 1968 Act applies, providing that they are in possession of a valid shotgun certificate.

7.19 Section 22(3) of the 1968 Act makes it an offence for any person under the age of fifteen to have an assembled shotgun with them unless:

i. they are under the supervision of a person aged twenty-one or over; or

ii. the gun is so covered with a securely fastened gun cover that it cannot be fired.

Note: the Act does not require the supervisor to be a certificate holder, though this is preferable.

No mention of anyone under 18 but over 15 needing supervision...by which I mean a 16 year old.

Also the Appendix 4 lays out in simple terms, for my use I suspect, who can do what at what age, worth a look.

Also if I thought someone was potential putting themselves or their child in serious danger of being prosecuted I think, however difficult it might be, that I would try and offer some advice. If it was not taken then so be it, but the last thing we want is bad news about people being prosecuted for firearms offences. 

Contact your local firearms licensing department and ask them then follow their instructions. Do not rely upon the (conflicting) advice given here. It'll stand for nothing if you get it wrong.

I have to agree with Jan..... get it from the people who will enforce the law that you may or may not be breaking and not the mixed opinions on here (with the greatest of respect to all)

at the end of the day if you get caught falling short of the law you can kiss the SGC good bye and future hopes of getting another one later on, i'd get it in writing if possible the firearms laws can be cloudy at best, at least send them an email confirming what was discussed and get a reply agreeing so you have some kind of record

I held a SGC at 16 or 17, albeit in 1983'ish and used it unsupervised since I was an apprentice gamekeeper and used it as part of my job, I didn't require supervision. That was however along time ago mind ;-(

Under 15 - requires supervision by somebody over 21

I'm going next week to the policeman that did my application

I'll need to buy a new cabinet as my fac rifles are in the cabinet so he can't have a key for that

Latest posts

Back