New Shotgun Upgrade Advise - Choices

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cherhill7777

Can I have some advise from everyone please - I've been shooting since last October 2/3 times a week and have been taking lessons from a top coach 'Steve Nutbeam' Longridge. Current gun is a new Beretta 692 32" Sporter but now ready for a change, I've had a couple of issues with sticking ejectors, whilst I shoot reasonably well with the gun average 75/100, I think I'd like something better.

I'd be very interested in people views and ideas on what I should consider or even avoid. My budget is from £3k - £5k but does more money necessarily mean more gun?

I shall be the first to post in what will be a 30 page thread. ?

What does Steve Nutbeam say about your decision? It's very common to want to "upgrade" at your stage and it's mostly psychological. After 9 months I bought a K80 and it did nothing for me over the next 13 months until I sold it. All guns are a bit of wood supporting some barrels. If it fits you, works and doesn't have an obvious issue, then just bear in mind that changing gun will be unlikely to add to your score. But, you will do this anyway because you have decided to. ?

So, find one you fancy, ideally try it first. Expect it to go well straight away then maybe fall backwards for a while during your learning of it. With your budget there are many options, especially if you include good used ones. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I shall be the first to post in what will be a 30 page thread. ?

What does Steve Nutbeam say about your decision? It's very common to want to "upgrade" at your stage and it's mostly psychological. After 9 months I bought a K80 and it did nothing for me over the next 13 months until I sold it. All guns are a bit of wood supporting some barrels. If it fits you, works and doesn't have an obvious issue, then just bear in mind that changing gun will be unlikely to add to your score. But, you will do this anyway because you have decided to. ?

So, find one you fancy, ideally try it first. Expect it to go well straight away then maybe fall backwards for a while during your learning of it. With your budget there are many options, especially if you include good used ones. 
Thanks Will, yes good advise, although reason for wanting to change is primarily based on a reoccuring ejector problem which sticks. The ejector slides don't run freely either, the machining is pretty poor.  It's already been back to GMK once, it's about 4 months old, maybe it should go back again? It just takes my focus off what I should be doing and that is practice and annoys the hell out of me. So that's why I'm looking for a better made gun. The last thing I want to do is change to be honest, as you're right, it will likely set me back. I've not spoken to Steve yet, with him tomorrow so I'll see what he says. 

Very annoying on a new model from a top name. The 692 has done little for Berettas reputation. Almost any gun these days is reliable, including the older Berettas of course. As you know I finally went for Perazzi (they were a lot cheaper in 2007) which are well made (OK.. will need modest TLC after 5 years of hard shooting) and handle in a great conventional way.

Perazzi is one I would seriously consider, the quality of the ejectors and just the opening and closing is streaks ahead as far I can see. So which models would you recommend for purely Sporting, I see you have the MX12 (need to do some reading up) any I should avoid, tips for buying secondhand? There seems to be quite a range, what would you recommend and then there's gun fit, probably the most important aspect. If you could give me some advise on which Perazzi's to look out for I'll trawl some guns shops and try them out. Thanks for your help Will, much appreciated.

Perazzi is one I would seriously consider, the quality of the ejectors and just the opening and closing is streaks ahead as far I can see. So which models would you recommend for purely Sporting, I see you have the MX12 (need to do some reading up) any I should avoid, tips for buying secondhand? There seems to be quite a range, what would you recommend and then there's gun fit, probably the most important aspect. If you could give me some advise on which Perazzi's to look out for I'll trawl some guns shops and try them out. Thanks for your help Will, much appreciated.
They do a new one that is cheaper, the MXS. Don't know much about it other than it has large MXS on the side and I believe the locking mechanism is slightly simpler.

Otherwise, there is the MX12, or MX2000 which are very similar. Various levels of engraving and wood to upgrade to crazy money. The MX8 is the removable trigger version with V springs, which is not really needed for sporting. I think the Chris potter website has decent descriptions of the options. In your position I would be looking for a good used MX12, MX2000 and would have a look at a new MXS. But then I wouldn't rule out a new Blaser F3 as I thought that was good when I shot one for a few weeks! The balance adjuster part is great because you can make it feel like your old gun if you want.

My advice would be to get yourself up to Ian coleys you might be like a kid in a sweet shop 

but you will be able to pick up as many makes and models untill your arms drop off

when you pick up whatever one that's feels right in your hands weight / balance 

and you put it to your shoulder and you get the picture that's the one to buy 

As Pete above. 

Go and shoot lots of guns 

Try everything from a K80 to an upgraded Beretta.

I am sure everyone has their favourites. 

Some guns work for one person and not another.  

Once you've bought it have it fitted then stick with it. 

Top advice from Jeremy 

As j and will say different guns suit different people 

will says he couldn't get on with his k80 as where I have hopefully achieved a lifelong ambition 

in the last seven days with my parcours after owning it nine months 

details to follow shortly waiting on conformation ?????????

Top advice from Jeremy 

As j and will say different guns suit different people 

will says he couldn't get on with his k80 as where I have hopefully achieved a lifelong ambition 

in the last seven days with my parcours after owning it nine months 

details to follow shortly waiting on conformation ?????????
Now a Parcours is a different animal. Nice! Just stupidly overpriced..

It's a shame as Beretta really do seem to be struggling at the moment :frown:  

Another vote for Jeremy's advice, but be aware that a more expensive gun will in no way guarantee anything other than a larger hole in your bank balance. I'm bound to mention Caesar Guerini, the range includes many options in the price band you have mentioned. Helpfully, there's an open day (for CG) coming up on the 7/8th August at Coleys.

Can't go wrong with a Browning in my book! Worth a look anyway, many shotguns you are paying for the name. I don't think engineering wise, there isn't much difference between a 2k and a 5k shotgun except wood and engraving! 

At the risk of driving the thread off at a curious tangent, buying a Perazzi second hand (plenty in that price band) perhaps needs even more attention towards making sure the example being considered fits you perfectly than with regular 'standard off the shelf guns'.

When a Perazzi gun is new (well at least my current and previous have anyway) it comes with a Perazzi Pouch containing the manual and spec of the gun, the precise measurements of the stock in detail.  Wonderful, exquisite attention to detail except for one rather important matter - the fact that it was made to order for someone, i.e. me.  Given that one can have a gun made to order for no additional cost there are probably quite a few for sale that are truly unique.

If engineering elegance matters to you then a Perazzi is an appealing proposition, like a Browning the barrel pivots are hidden in the action (no domed stub pins protruding from the sides of gun) however unlike the Browning the underside of the action is smooth, no holes for the bottom of the barrels to lock into - its all internal. Every time I clean mine I puzzle over the machining challenges that had to be overcome to simply make it.    

Otherwise, there is the MX12, or MX2000 which are very similar. Various levels of engraving and wood to upgrade to crazy money. The MX8 is the removable trigger version with V springs, which is not really needed for sporting.
Sorry Will, MX2000 is an MX8 action. Removable trigger group that can be supplied with V or coil springs. MX2000s is the fixed trigger group, coil sprung action. 

Apologies for the correction

Regards

cosmetics  cost !   but for engineering  quality  and wood to metal fit   miroku  take some beating   multi or fixed choke , these guns last  and the grade 5s  are superb cosmetics  in my book .     if you want to push the boat out   check out the miroku president       used guns well within your budget  ,   enjoy  .   :smile:

Latest posts

Back