Perazzi mxs

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW 6 PAGES OF WHAT EXACTLY?

Buy a semi auto then you don't have to worry about what the gun says about you, or if it is a cheap option entry level , no one even looks in your direction !!!
Nor do they stand to the right of you if they have any sense..

Hi Shooters,

I shot my MXS for the first time last Saturday.........I love it.......I did six rounds of skeet with the 32 in. barrels, adjustable chokes and adjustable comb, using Rio 1 oz. shells. I thought the gun was going to be to heavy for a 72 year old, but once I started shooting I never gave it another thought. Shot my best scores with this gun first time out with it. Looking forward to trying it on the trap range next. Mine has the silver receiver. I never gave thought to how it looked as I was breaking clays. It feels tight and smooth with little kick. Trigger pull is light and right for me. I own four Beretta's which I still love, but this gun stole my heart. I don't understand all the talk about this gun being a low budget gun etc. I am not a wealthy person so I had to work two jobs to get the funds to purchase this MXS. In my life I will never be able to buy another gun this expensive.....So glad I did. So those who don't like it's looks are missing out because it shoots fantastic. When other shooters came up to me and said they never saw me shoot so good, it was all worth it. To each his own......Thank You Perazzi

Lou Bahrman
Now that's totally cool!  I never had to work two jobs to get the $ for new gun (well I never have had a new gun) but I did eat more peanut butter sandwiches for lunch than I'd care to count to make a "new" used one possible.

Good on ya, Lou!!  

+1

cost does not equal performance.

I did more straights with my 500 quid parker hale than any gun since.

As someone looking to buy my first gun, can anyone let me know if the guts of this gun are any different, to some significant degree, than the more expensive models from the same brand?  Is the way the gun is set up or the internals compromised in some way compared to others to make it cheaper?

In general, apart from the styling on the outside, which I'm not interested in one way or the other really, the patterning of wood, and whether some parts are handmade/assembled etc, I can't figure out why some guns are significantly more expensive than others.  For example, what (if anything) would make one of these superior to say, a Beretta 692 and so on to warrant the cost difference?

Genuine question.

The action i would guess is the same as any other perazzi the wood probably lower grade the tolerances are probably greater and things like the balance will probably not be as refined. I am no expert on p guns but by way of comparison high end beretta are better balanced because someone took the time to balance it by adding weight or removing it from the stock, however to get this you have to go above even a dt10, even a dt10 as good as they are is still a mass produced gun and all mass produced guns are exactly that and that is why they all feel different and why some are good and some are not. My eell is perfectly balanced and my dt10 is also but the latter is good luck the former is because of the price. I have had 3 dt10s and the current one is the best and more than one experienced shooter has shot it and said its the best one they have ever shot, this is the 10 not the eell. So my point is you can be lucky or unlucky with a mass produced gun because they are what they are.

As someone looking to buy my first gun, can anyone let me know if the guts of this gun are any different, to some significant degree, than the more expensive models from the same brand?  Is the way the gun is set up or the internals compromised in some way compared to others to make it cheaper?

In general, apart from the styling on the outside, which I'm not interested in one way or the other really, the patterning of wood, and whether some parts are handmade/assembled etc, I can't figure out why some guns are significantly more expensive than others.  For example, what (if anything) would make one of these superior to say, a Beretta 692 and so on to warrant the cost difference?

Genuine question.
In the case of the MXS compared to other P guns it has been made down to a (absurdly high in reality) price to capture a slightly lower market segment. In general any clay gun costing from around £2k upwards will be good enough to win with in all the required departments such as handling, trigger, ease of opening and longevity etc, some are obviously going to be better and that's where economies of scale come in. 

It's really no different to anything else in life, the bigger manufacturers will tend to make a very sound product for the money. Take Toyota for instance, style and interior finish notwithstanding, they make cars for a third of the price of the premium makes and besides better reliability outlast them to boot. If you have the money or a penchant to be seen in something a bit classier then you knowingly part with tons more and since you only live once then there's no point denying yourself that little bit more luxury.

The high end guns are basically just that, none will buy you extra targets but that isn't quite what they get bought for. If you have £8k spare then buy a real Perazzi and rest assured they are fantastic, if you want Germanic engineering and the need to advertise you have £12k spare then buy a Krieghoff, if you can't quite justify that but still want to stand out from most then get a Blaser, that will still allow you to tell everyone it is easily the best handling gun you have ever shot etc, etc, Ceasar Guerrini are another excellent route if you want to appear a bit hip and risqué without the need to spend ridiculous amounts, Beretta DT11/10 are the thinking mens guns which for half the cost of other premium guns will outshoot them on the field and break down half as often (almost never). If you want to break clays first and foremost with no pretensions then a used Miroku is all you really need (anyone will tell you that) if you also want to shoot the same gun for 2/3 decades without several trips to Gunsmithal then get a Beretta 682/92. 

So in conclusion significantly more expensive in guns gives one slightly more bragging rights.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whilst i agree in part with hammy i maintain that to a point you get what you pay for. Some expensive guns are just that expensive with fur coat and no knickers some however are radically different were refinement is concerned particularly in the balance and therefore handling area. Having said that many titles have been won with some rudimentary equipment. The old adage of buy the best you can afford is the way to go. Bragging rights or not its nice to own what you aspire too.

So in conclusion significantly more expensive in guns gives one slightly more bragging rights.

Michael Diamond, Alexi Alipov, David Kostelecky and very many other more ordinary Perazzi shooters would humbly disagree with that statement to be honest... my self included, my gun was not expensive but it IS great :)

Interesting, thanks folks.  The car analogy is a good way of looking at it - makes sense.  My lessons so far have been with a relatively modest Beretta, but I seem to get on fine with it.  I was therefore looking mainly at those, and liked the look of the 692 - I'd probably not want to spend more than one of those would cost this stage of the game, and did wonder if there would be a law of diminishing returns once you get past £2k.

The law of diminishing returns kicks in as soon as you get past a £50 baikal that goes bang!

First gun used beretta/browning/miroku don't spend more than about £1000 ish

I tried one to the shoulder up at North Ayrshire.
Really nice gun and felt great in my mits.
Hardly noticed the branding.

I've read a few reviews and thoughts, and it does sound like people really like it and find it to be less 'compromised' than they thought they might.  Still, it seems quite expensive - probably overkill for a first gun, and I don't really want to spend that much at the moment!  Maybe in a couple of years I might see some benefit.  The Blaser F3 looks like a decent bit of kit, and I've spotted a couple of used ones that are reasonably priced.  

If you had the choice between a used F3 or a used 692, which would you pick?  Perhaps I should start a new thread!

I've read a few reviews and thoughts, and it does sound like people really like it and find it to be less 'compromised' than they thought they might.  Still, it seems quite expensive - probably overkill for a first gun, and I don't really want to spend that much at the moment!  Maybe in a couple of years I might see some benefit.  The Blaser F3 looks like a decent bit of kit, and I've spotted a couple of used ones that are reasonably priced.  

If you had the choice between a used F3 or a used 692, which would you pick?  Perhaps I should start a new thread!
Circa £2k you'll find a fair few 692 second hand which will be all but new, the same money will buy a very early F3 which lets just say had a few issues most of which could admittedly be put right if they hadn't already but one of these issues centred around POI problems which tend to be there for keeps. 

I would happily shoot a modern F3 so long as it weighted well over 8 lbs and no barrel bulge to accommodate multi chokes but to get that you need to spend double what would buy a new 692 which is based on guns that have won Olympic medals and incalculable number of big events.

I have a budget of around £5.5k for an upgrade & the Blaser F3 AT2 ticks all the boxes - however there are a few nice P & K Trap guns available.

Thing is you have to think of what you want to do in the future. Do you want to be a serious competition shooter? Are you the sort of person that chases their tail trying to find the gun instead of actually learning to shoot what is a perfect gun just that you are not a really good shooter? I know what I would do if I was a young, new shooter and above all truly committed and competitive with a desire to go the distance. I would go and get the very best gun I could afford from Perazzi made for me, with the possibility to return to them to change aspects of that gun to deal with changes in physique and then learn to shoot and perfect my technique with that one gun and shoot it exclusively without thinking about other guns. You would save yourself a few quid on messing around with lesser bits of equipment, caveat to all that I am a trap shooter so this really applies to trap shooting but I think the same principals apply to other disciplines. For the record I don't think that either of those guns mentioned is as good a choice as a good secondhand Perazzi MX8 ! I picked up a nice one here in France for ~ £2800 its amazing for it age and you cannot buy a new trap gun as good for the same money. Point being made a good secondhand quality shotgun will almost always be better than a so so new gun...just my opinion.

I have a budget of around £5.5k for an upgrade & the Blaser F3 AT2 ticks all the boxes - however there are a few nice P & K Trap guns available.
If you have £5.5k to spend and you are a serious trap shooter then the only gun you should be looking for is a Perazzi either MX8 or 2000 there are other makes but serious shooters use serious kit :)

Whilst i agree in part with hammy i maintain that to a point you get what you pay for. Some expensive guns are just that expensive with fur coat and no knickers some however are radically different were refinement is concerned particularly in the balance and therefore handling area. Having said that many titles have been won with some rudimentary equipment. The old adage of buy the best you can afford is the way to go. Bragging rights or not its nice to own what you aspire too.
Fur coat and no knickers! now thats an image to savour :spiteful:

Latest posts

Back