planning permission

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ips

does anyone have a good understanding of planning law.

scenario

one acre feild currently a well established certificated caravan site. No properties in adjoining fields nearest property hundred yards. As the current use is for caravans how easy would it be to gain planning for a residential static caravan ??

we are in an area notoriously difficult for planning consent but my hope is that because of the fact that touring caravans are already using it then maybe some law or reg is available to us for change of use .

People are having a nightmare down here where they have been sold a static and told they can live in it on a normal site,thing is you have to move out for a period of more than 30 days so it is a non permanent residence.

yes its a minefield all right. We are looking to the future and want everything in place for smooth transition. We know we won't get planning for a building because the owners of small stable block and adjoining field have been refused various times. My thoughts are that as its not a permanent structure and its already a caravan site that change of use for one residential static would be easier ??

I know a fair bit as we recently built on a plot of 6 acres in "open countryside".

It took us 5 years, 2 planning consultants, one refusal and a lot of money.

The land was owned by my mrs for 20 years, she kept horses there and it was classed as equestrian and is in "open countryside". We're known for having strict planners around here and it was very difficult to get permission. Our first application for a "normal" residential house was refused and we ended up going with our original plan (which the original planning consultant put us off) of creating a business on the land that justified living there. We got permission for the business building and then temp permission for a dwelling. We designed the dwelling to be the maximum size allowed for a "mobile home", although to look at it you wouldn't think it was classed as a caravan, it's clad in Larch and very much not movable. The house is timber framed, tiled roof, plastered inside, stone tiles in the kitchen, oak floors, carpets and feels just like a normal house. What you can get away with and still be called a caravan is pretty extensive. The temp permission was for 3 years in which we had to prove the business was economically viable (basically paying a wage and showing a profit). We finally did get full permanent permission and can now live here for as long as we like. This method isn't for everyone, it's risky, if we hadn't of succeeded we could have lost a lot of money, but it's one way to get around planning restrictions. Now we have a great house that we designed our selves in a great location that we never would have been able to afford otherwise at the time and a successful business to go with it.

The other way is to find an architect that can create something of outstanding significance, I think that's how a lot of these grand designs builds get the go ahead.

My number one piece of advice would be get a very good planning consultant.

Good luck to  you.

yes its a minefield all right. We are looking to the future and want everything in place for smooth transition. We know we won't get planning for a building because the owners of small stable block and adjoining field have been refused various times. My thoughts are that as its not a permanent structure and its already a caravan site that change of use for one residential static would be easier ??
Down here they are dead against change of use and don't allow any,there is a situation on a site where they have been sold them as homes but the council never gave planning consent and has served them an order to move.

It is unlikely that they will win any appeal as the councils policy is under no circumstances do they allow it,i know of one persons father who was on some land for ages fought it for 8 years and still lost even though he had been there near on 15 in total!

I know a fair bit as we recently built on a plot of 6 acres in "open countryside".

It took us 5 years, 2 planning consultants, one refusal and a lot of money.

The land was owned by my mrs for 20 years, she kept horses there and it was classed as equestrian and is in "open countryside". We're known for having strict planners around here and it was very difficult to get permission. Our first application for a "normal" residential house was refused and we ended up going with our original plan (which the original planning consultant put us off) of creating a business on the land that justified living there. We got permission for the business building and then temp permission for a dwelling. We designed the dwelling to be the maximum size allowed for a "mobile home", although to look at it you wouldn't think it was classed as a caravan, it's clad in Larch and very much not movable. The house is timber framed, tiled roof, plastered inside, stone tiles in the kitchen, oak floors, carpets and feels just like a normal house. What you can get away with and still be called a caravan is pretty extensive. The temp permission was for 3 years in which we had to prove the business was economically viable (basically paying a wage and showing a profit). We finally did get full permanent permission and can now live here for as long as we like. This method isn't for everyone, it's risky, if we hadn't of succeeded we could have lost a lot of money, but it's one way to get around planning restrictions. Now we have a great house that we designed our selves in a great location that we never would have been able to afford otherwise at the time and a successful business to go with it.

The other way is to find an architect that can create something of outstanding significance, I think that's how a lot of these grand designs builds get the go ahead.

My number one piece of advice would be get a very good planning consultant.

Good luck to  you.
interesting, thank you for that.

I toyed with the idea of siting a static there now as a "reception / office" either way at some point in the future we will be living on the land even if I have to declare myself a gypsy ? they never seem to have a problem with consent ?

interesting, thank you for that.

I toyed with the idea of siting a static there now as a "reception / office" either way at some point in the future we will be living on the land even if I have to declare myself a gypsy ? they never seem to have a problem with consent ?
True to a point,  they CAN be evicted eventually though !

well they can evict me after thirty years if they want, then find me an old folks home ?

Static Caravan parks can be a real bugger for planning. I would have thought that being an existing caravan park would help though. However the change of use from temporary to permanent resi would trigger all sorts of regs regarding flooding, drainage etc.

I will admit this kind of planning intricacy is a little outside my wheelhouse (need a coach station, huge road, drainage system for 1000's of houses or other major infrastructure I'm your man) but I work for a multi disciplinary consultancy that provides planning services. If you want pm and we can have a chat about our services and likely costs.

Failing that I can recommend some very good planning consultancies.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks

to clarify this is not a caravan park it is a five van camping and caravan club certificated location. It is in effect a one acre paddock field with a few hardstandings and a tarmac road part way in.

thanks

to clarify this is not a caravan park it is a five van camping and caravan club certificated location. It is in effect a one acre paddock field with a few hardstandings and a tarmac road part way in.
Did they lay the Tarmac themselves?

no I did, was road planing's dosed with deisel then compacted. Worked a treat still good after ten years ?

Forgot to mention the fool-proof way; a brown envelope to the head of planning. 
Unfortunately it tends yo be the self righous Blue rinses that sit on planning comittiees that block what most would consider minor changes. Even the regional town planners get frustrated with them.  Many cases are won on appeal when the case is put to another comittee that reside in a different part of the country. 

Put in a plan for 400 new build houses to help the housing crisis that's preventing first time buyers from getting in on the market. I think they just are automatically passed by goverment ledgistration.

Mind you, from the developments that are beggining to blight the country in rural places (where there tend to be no good jobs for them to step into) I don't know how 4 bed detached houses costing upwards of £300k helps. 

Last edited by a moderator:
no I did, was road planing's dosed with deisel then compacted. Worked a treat still good after ten years ?
Can you give me a quote for my drive? :D

Apparently all parks,car parks and open spaces are fair game down here if you tow your caravan with a transit...council will even provide toilets and a skip!

Latest posts

Back