planning permission

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no ?

will move down sarf then, facilities sound excellent ?

Bang in planning for an abbatoir, then when they sh*t themselves, say youll settle for a sited static.....

We did that years ago when we needed a new workshop, we got refused initial for the works, so started spreading a rumour we were selling to a slaughterhouse, they soon changed their tune......

I know a fair bit as we recently built on a plot of 6 acres in "open countryside".

It took us 5 years, 2 planning consultants, one refusal and a lot of money.

The land was owned by my mrs for 20 years, she kept horses there and it was classed as equestrian and is in "open countryside". We're known for having strict planners around here and it was very difficult to get permission. Our first application for a "normal" residential house was refused and we ended up going with our original plan (which the original planning consultant put us off) of creating a business on the land that justified living there. We got permission for the business building and then temp permission for a dwelling. We designed the dwelling to be the maximum size allowed for a "mobile home", although to look at it you wouldn't think it was classed as a caravan, it's clad in Larch and very much not movable. The house is timber framed, tiled roof, plastered inside, stone tiles in the kitchen, oak floors, carpets and feels just like a normal house. What you can get away with and still be called a caravan is pretty extensive. The temp permission was for 3 years in which we had to prove the business was economically viable (basically paying a wage and showing a profit). We finally did get full permanent permission and can now live here for as long as we like. This method isn't for everyone, it's risky, if we hadn't of succeeded we could have lost a lot of money, but it's one way to get around planning restrictions. Now we have a great house that we designed our selves in a great location that we never would have been able to afford otherwise at the time and a successful business to go with it.

The other way is to find an architect that can create something of outstanding significance, I think that's how a lot of these grand designs builds get the go ahead.

My number one piece of advice would be get a very good planning consultant.

Good luck to  you.
This is the exact same scenario my parents went through in sussex.

Their house is a log cabin brought in from Estonia.  It has 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, huge kitchen, huge lounge diner, and utility room.  It is supposedly the size of a static caravan.  They had to prove their business for 3 (or maybe 5) years. They did and the house is now permanent. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought I saw something on that programme on TV called "My flat packed home (on the home channel. Looks like it's still available on catch up ) I think they put a cabin type thing up without planning. The rules were that it was ok if the structure could be moved in no more than 2 sections and something about foundations.

ain't got home channel ain't got sky stuff. Bummer

no sky no broadband no phone line no gas no sewage...grim oop north lad

yep got one of them, all mod cons (if you were in the 1700s). ?

ha, indeed. Oh don't forget the recent addition of modern heating....me log burner ?

have trawled interweb for info and planning for static caravans is a chuffing nightmare. Loads online about folk doing it without planning if its within the curtilage of there existing house but our field / caravan site is hundred yards away. Cant find anything online comparable to our intended use, as in change of use from five van touring site to one residential mobile home.

regs regarding our current planning exemption does not allow us to put a static on now even as an "office / reception" but we are going to move our Romany (gypsy) bow roofed caravan from the back of the house to the corner of the caravan site purely as an "attraction" cant live in it as way to small but they can't move a Romany surely ?

You effectively want to use a static caravan as a private dwelling.  It would therefore fall under Use Class C3 (i.e. a dwelling house) and the relevant policies would apply.  There is a separate planning act that covers caravan sites and the control of development:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Eliz2/8-9/62

There is a schedule at the end of that which covers the circumstances that you don't need a licence - this is where the caravan club exemption comes in, along with a range of other circumstances.

Latest posts

Back